Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Box Store Hosta Switcheroo

paul_in_mn
9 years ago

Stopped into Lowes for some hardware and peeked into the garden department.....to see a drift of hosta all mislabeled as Queen Josephine..... at least they were edge margined.

Paul

Comments (7)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hey, they're getting there, Paul. That's closer than most of their labeling : )

Appears to be the common type of 'Undulata Yadda-Yadda'.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sat, May 31, 14 at 20:51

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Regrettably, not every gardener (or pseudo-gardener) takes hosta seriously or attempts to integrate them into their garden bed design. A few of us take them seriously, however... Just means we need to try harder to put the word out about them.

I'm working on one gardener friend at a time...

Oh, yeah...AND battling dear as well.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

All the more reason to deal with hosta sellers who are dedicated to selling hostas, and have some knowledge of what they are supposed to look like.

-Babka

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

The Hosta fever is hitting more and more nurseries this year then ever before in our area. One of them in our town boasts to have over 100 varieties but after the three years of growing I have most of them she stocked and today got 8 more I never had . Hopefully they get new varieties next year. Kind of nice to not have to do a mail order or travel 70 miles to the larger nursery in Kelowna . Pretty much have all of his too. Maybe a good thing because my third year hosta are now rubbing shoulders and doubled in size. I'm getting my wishes this season. Walmart ones here are not well looked after and never bought a one there

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Same here Faye. Don't start now, learn from MY mistakes at Wal-Mart(s). I made many there in 2012. they... are... uh... i will yell... CARP!!!

don b

• mosswitch
    9 years ago

I saw a whole group of hostas labeled Rainforest Sunise at Lowe's last week...but about half of them were not that. I did buy one of the mislabeled ones, I think may actually be Orange Marmalade, but it is a nice one so it doesn't matter that I already have one. It is planted in a differnt part of the garden. You sure can't rely on big box store labeling to be correct.

Sandy

• valtorrez
    9 years ago

When I first started planting hostas I knew no better. I was just buying what I thought looked nice at the big stores.The biggest problem for me has been that I mis planted based on the information on the plant stickers. I purchased plants misnamed which meant mature size were mainly misstated. I now have hostas that are way bigger in areas they r out growing. I am anal. I measured my plant holes based on the information now might have to look at moving some when I don't really have the room. Now I mainly go to nurseries because they take better care and have better variety. Don't get me wrong I still look when they first put the plants out but now I go out to my car and look up names to see if the plant is mislabeled and possible problem areas.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living