Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

any reason not to move these together

bkay2000
9 years ago

I thought I had lost Bridegroom, so I ordered another. My original came back from dormant roots. Do you see any reason not to put them together? I guess I'm concerned because one is a lot larger than the other.

bk

Comments (6)

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Hm., well I have some hostas with eyes that are bigger than the others, the smaller, skinnier eyes having more juvenile looking leaves, and they look a bit odd, but I know in time- this season or next, they will catch up with each other. So I say why not.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I had a Sum & Substance that wasn't growing as fast as I thought it would, and it was an odd shape. I dug it up to move it and it fell apart into two separate hostas. I replanted them both in their own spot. They both doubled in size last year and look so much better.

That's my only experience.

Gesila

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

do it, and then you have an empty pot ... for an ... acquisition ... dah dah daaaaa

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

IF you want a fuller pot....do it. You will still have some "littles and bigs" together, but if you like that for a few years then go for it.

-Babka

PS- Only you will know...unless you have a hosta convention tour coming thru your yard. ;-)

This post was edited by Babka on Sun, May 18, 14 at 22:36

• User
    9 years ago

Let me ask, BKay.....did they come from the same nursery? Or, did you buy them from different places?

I have a good many of combined pots. I have a couple of the same hosta from different sources. I will show you an example of Zuzu's Petals, same pot, 2 of them from different sources. I had one from Savorys which was OS. Then I was gifted one with an order, so I thought, why not one pot? Well, in this case, now I do not know which one is the OS plant. There continues to be a size difference between the two, NOT evened out in the 2nd year potted together. If one of them is an OS hosta, I would not do it. Plus, knowing you always get hosta from clean sources, no worry about disease.

Here is my Zuzu's Petals as an example:

Good question, BKay.
    In the past when I was sent 2 eyes of a hosta that were separate....like from Naylor Creek, or Solberg when I got 2 for $20 or something, I separated the eyes into different pots. Of late, with many more pots than I ever imagined on having, I've repotted the two as one again. Where ever possible. In that case, I have combined 'Gold Drop' where the two are not blooming together for what reason I have no idea.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, they didn't come from the same nursery. One came from Green Mountain and the other from Hallson's. Neither is OS, though.

I was hoping to reduce the population of pots, though. I gave away a couple, and will give away some more. I have several of these Mutt and Jeff hosta duos. I think I'll just put them together and see what happens.

bk