Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

Pics from today

Finally at the photo worthy stage for some of my hostas. The folks in the south are way past this stage now; oh well, at least with the temperature differences we have hostas to look at for a longer season :)
These plants are all young. Bottom left is On Stage, beside it is Seducer and behind at the back is Liberty. The little one beside Seducer is Mini Skirt. The ones on the bottom are on the driveway in a line because I have changed their media. They are currently 'homeless'.
{{gwi:1005262}}
I still need to apply the mulch this year, it is very dry already.
This is one of my favourite groupings.
{{gwi:1005263}}
This one is already a favourite and this is its second season, it isn't very big but it sure is pretty.
{{gwi:1005265}}

Comments (23)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Beautiful, Paula! Looks like you're in full swing there. When the day comes when you do finally find a property you really want, will you be moving all your hostas?

Don B.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Very pretty hostas Paula. Autumn Frost really does look beautiful. On the list it goes!

I have quite a few "homeless" hosta pots at present. I can identify with that.

For some reason my computer is not downloading your second picture. Now I am wondering what one of your favorite groupings looks like!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don - absolutely!
    newhostalady, here it is again...
    {{gwi:1005263}}

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Simply Beautiful, love the grouping and the gargoyle!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Wow, your First Frost is a super beauty, Paula. On my last order from Hallson Gardens, I got an El Nino as a bonus plant. I wasn't familiar with it, really, just from a few pics on the forum, etc. Seeing it growing in my garden, OMG what a beauty! Your plants are gorgeous, I figured you'd probably take them with you. I told my DW that if we ever move, the hostas are coming with. Having heard that, she had an expression like I had just told her we're taking the pine trees with us LOL! I said don't worry, I won't ask for your help LOL

Don B.

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Hi Paula, I LOVE Your photos, thanks for sharing!! Since I don't have a million hostas, I rarely have all the hostas in someone's photo, but in this case I have all of those same ones.
    If your Antioch acts anything like mine, it will consume your First Frost in 2 years and "go to the mats" with Blue Angel!!
    In fact, I lent my Antioch to a friend who is on our local garden walk this year...she needed a focal point at the back of her garden, so we dug it out and put it in her garden last fall. Only thing is, it looks better in her yard than where I had it in mine!! I hope she'll be able to part with it when I want it back this fall!

Keep the pics coming!
    Mary

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the comments everyone. I thought that Antioch was supposed to be big.
    Mary, I hope you get your hosta back - that was really nice of you to lend it to her.
    Don, my DH story of the week is funny. I posted pictures of the 19 or so hostas that I have purchased this spring. They are piling up in the driveway as I buy a couple here and there while I try and figure out where to put them. DH comes home from work one night and he comments on how well my plants are growing - he said that they are growing so well that they seem to multiplying by the day! too funny.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I see the grouping now Paula! Beautiful! First Frost is one of my favorite hostas.

Your hostas are doing so well. It was just a short time ago that you were so worried about them, and now look at how gorgeous they are.

Thanks for letting us have a "peek" at your lovely garden.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Very nice,Paula! But I have to disagree that you have a longer growing season. My hostas come up in March,and grow until October here. Usually 3 months longer that up north! Lol! Nice pics,and please show more. Phil

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Very nice. I love seeing pics of everyone's hosta and gardens. I have all of those except On Stage. Like seeing them in other gardens.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

It is interesting to see a tulip and a leafed out hosta together in a photo. Tulips, at least here, are usually spent by the time the hostas leaf out...

_~

dkB

• User
    9 years ago

What Phil said is true. Ours come up in March, and while October is a time when the fragrant seed pods ripen, many of my hosta hung around until December. That was cutting it close to get their beauty sleep, of course, so I try to keep them cooler from around Thanksgiving on. I mean, the gardener needs some rest too. And definitely some beauty sleep. :)

We had the thunderstorms and wind that was in Texas the day before, last night was a gully washer. I haven't taken pics today, it is mucky but cool and still overcast. The dry spell here is gone, perhaps another couple of days rain. Surely the hosta won't be growing any more, regardless of the rain. I'm waiting for my last two orders to come in either today or tomorrow. So happy the heat is broken so they won't be parboiled in the box. It is LOTG and........mmmm, I forget the other one. But I'm ready!

Lovely pictures. Loaning hosta is a lot easier in pots, but I don't loan them out. After a plant thief took some of my good plants (a Japanese maple, stepping stones, hibiscus, jasmine, sago palm) in the ground near the street, I definitely put no expensive plants in pots there for the taking. My driveway hosta are as hidden from view as they can be even though outside the privacy fence.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Just beautiful, Paula. Every leaf looks fresh and perfect.

Mary, the story about digging up a huge hosta as a garden tour loaner is great...I need a neighbor like you! :)

Don, I had the exact same reaction to El Niño. I picked it up on sale just because of its Halcyon heritage (no black sheep in that clan!), but it is now a favorite for sure.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yes, Jadie, most pics do NOT do that plant justice. (Babka's do though, for the most part). It's colors are extraordinary.

Don B.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Everyone of your plants look just perfect!

Linda

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Phil, I didn't mean to infer that we have a longer growing season; allow me to clarify. I meant that with the hostas leafing out in the warmer areas a couple of months ahead of ours, when ours come out, it is perfect timing for a fresh load of hosta pictures. As a result we (all of us on this forum) get to see new photos for a longer period of time. This makes the hosta 'coming out' season much longer for all of us.

bragu - the previous owner had bulbs everywhere so they pop up randomly all over the place.

moccasin - I have wondered about people taking things, too. My mini hosta bed is right at the street and I have some cute little metal bugs, etc. We don't have a sidewalk on our side and so far, so good.

hostahosta, jade and tropic_lover - thank you for you kind comments, I love El Nino, too.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Paula,there was a woman in Minnesota a few years ago,(I think it was Teresa),who had someone come right into her garden,and dig up some of her hostas,and take them! I hope you don't have that problem. My garden is right below the road I live on,and even though there is a fence,it is just a two-rail fence,and could be easily breached,but most people really don't care what is there,(especially my neighbor) who never plants anything! We don't have a lot of crime here in the country. Phil

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Those are quite lovely, Paula! I'm new to Hostas and can only hope mine are as pretty someday :)

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am in a small town in the country and I have never had a problem, either. The more money that I spend, the more I think about it though!

Errant, thank you very much for the compliment :)

This post was edited by paula_b_gardener on Sat, May 31, 14 at 23:08

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Your Easter Island Dude is the best; I need one for my fragrant garden : ) I'd put a Gargoyle by my kitties I've laid to rest in my time here. Guardian Gargoyle...

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ahhh, that is sweet :)

• User
    9 years ago

Errant, welcome to the wonderful world of HOSTAS.
    We will help you with your hosta issues, and make you aware of the ones you probably will end up wanting.

Speaking of which, I saw your screen name and immediately thought how appropriate it would be to have KNIGHT'S JOURNEY in your garden.

I know nothing about it to tell you, except it was a gift with my order to Avalon Acres this spring. It is just new, so what it will become is a guess at this point. Not very impressive at this point, but I will keep an eye on it and document its "journey."

Have fun.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the shiny leaves - good start.