Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schiba_gw

HELP! Hostas Lost the Shade!

schiba
9 years ago

Two large shade trees came down in my yard. What was under them depending on the abundant shade? My beautiful hostas! Gasp! Paisley Print, Sum and Substance, Whee, Night Before Christmas and Whirlwind.

I am aghast! Do I leave them in full sun for the summer and replant in the fall or transplant them now? EEEk.

Comments (13)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

If you have somewhere else to plant them, I'd be inclined to move them now before the weather turns warmer. After spending the hot months in full sun chances are they'd be too stressed for transplanting to save them.

Good luck!

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Hostas are shade TOLERANT not shade LOVING.

Depending on where you are (your latitude), what direction you face and how much water you're willing to give them, you may be fine.

Were they already leafed out when the trees came down? If so, they may scorch this summer, but likely next summer you'll be able to assess whether they can tolerate a more full-sun location.

Here in MN (approx 45 degrees latitude), I have several hostas in full sun. I can tell you that Sum & Substance will probably be fine, so long as it's not facing south and you give her plenty of water.

• schiba
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your replies... this really helps me.

This post was edited by schiba on Fri, May 9, 14 at 20:51

• schiba
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are now in open sun, with no shade at all, with the exception of a very large Japanese andromeda to their east. So, a tiny bit of shade in the morning. Great soil though; composted and rich. They are in an area that gets daily water due to a sprinkler system.

If I have to dig them up, would you think I could divide them now and they would be fine, or keep them intact?

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Why do you want to divide them? That will only stress them more. Keep them intact if you are going to move them.

Please answer these two questions.

Where are you located? Latitude if possible.
    Have the Hosta leafed out yet, or are they still in pips?

Steve

• poaky1
    9 years ago

You could put up a temporary tent and shadecloth structure and plant some trees that could provide shade in a few years. I would suggest a Nuttals oak or Pin oak depending on your soil ph. Pin oaks don't like alkaline soil. Well, whatever tree you like.

• schiba
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My location: 42ð 7' 30" N / 72ð 45' 0" W

Sum and Substance is partially leafed out but the rest are mostly in pips.

The location is on the southside of my house, approx 20ft away, and it borders a paved patio.

A larger tree may provide a way for squirrels to get onto my roof. The trees that were there were 50yr old Cleveland pears (2).

I would need a fast-growing shade tree that is slender in form and takes full-sun.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

I would be inclined to move them to the north side of the house, or the east side. Not the west side. Sum and Substance likes sun, so perhaps the east side of the house for that one.

Another possibility, if you have $500 to spend and are handy, build a pergola ... be sure it is at least ten feet tall ...

dave

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

You could try a Dawyk Purple Beech. But those will be very narrow. About 6' in diameter at maturity. What about two strategically placed small ornamental trees. Perhaps a Dogwood (Kousa or Florida) and a Red Bud (Cercis canadensis). Both will grow to about 25' and be in perfect scale with your house and patio. Buy the biggest ones you can afford.

At 42* north latitude Hostas will take a good deal of sun. But I would expect yours to burn this year. They are not acclimated to the amount of sun they will be getting and thus in mid-summer they will have some difficulty. You can mitigate that burning with extra water at that time. You might be surprised at how well they handle the amount of sun they get.

With Hostas still in the pip stage it's a good time to move them. If you want to redo your landscape, and have the room to move your plants, then go ahead and do that.

So your choice is to let them tough it out in the sun, providing extra water. Or to move them to other spots. I think if I had room I'd move the plants that I think would be most effected.

I have a similar situation at 41* N latitude where I lost a 15' small tree in one garden. It won't be all day sun for my Hosta in this garden. But they will get a lot of intense afternoon sun this year. I've decided to plant a Stewartia pseudocamelia to replace the small tree but it won't give the same shade this year or next. So I'll water the heck out of them and see how they adapt.

That's just the choice I made. Yours could be different.

Steve

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

I'm in the same zone as you. I grow all of the ones you listed in full sun as it is.....they'll be fine. They'll look different, but they'll be fine.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Oh yeah....I vaguely remember that post...

who was that guy?

bk

• schiba
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This has really helped me and lessened my anxiety!

A dogwood or redbud might be perfect in that area, but they may still burn. I will look for a forest pansy redbud, those are pretty! Perhaps a honeysweet standard pear as well.

These hostas are 2-3yr old plants, they have at least 6-7 eyes on some, so I can divide them up and place them where they will be happy.

I will leave Sum and Substance. She is pretty there and tropical. Maybe divide her a bit as she has 9 eyes.