Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

don sez Elvis Lives is a carpy name for a hosta

bragu_DSM 5
9 years ago

Oh really?

I like to go out in the spring and say to my wife 'Hey, Elvis Lives!'

She got a kick out of it the first two times. Now I just get a kick in the pants.

Hey, at least I am getting her interested in the garden!

How many of you can say that about your spouse, companion, partner, or whatever is PC these days?

Hmm?

_~

dave

Comments (15)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

If he lived, he would be an old frat.

bk

• w3csx
    9 years ago

That is like last year. The only Hosta not to come up for me in the spring was Cameo. The 1st time I made a joke about it only making a "brief appearance" in my yard. I got a laugh and a eye role out of my wife. After the 3rd, 4th 10th, 25th time she heard me tell someone. Not so much...

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOL Nice story, Mr. Dave. IMO, name still sux.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Well, Don, you gotta figure that Tony Avent named it. He caters to the cheap seats. For a high price! hehehe

I mean, Elvis Lives is pretty darn respectable coming from a hybridizer who named a hosta OUTHOUSE DELIGHT.....

AM I right? :)

I personally like Get Nekkid. I'm gonna locate its pot right next to my outdoor shower. Perhaps have Derriere right beside it, pot feet and all. So there!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

AND Redneck Heaven. AND Deliverance...terror!!!

Now BLAZING SADDLES, THAT'S a great name! AND one of my favorite comedies! (See, it's all opinion. Someone who's not a Blazing Saddles fan might say 'that name is STUPID)!!!

The saying 'What's in a name?' is so true. Elvis Lives is a beautiful plant. I'm half-expecting something from the Avent program called 'Mel's Stutter' or the like LOL

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Funny about Elvis lives name, Myrle and I were talking about names for new Elvis off springs today and she came out with "Vegas Elvis", fat leaves and on heavy drugs to make it larger but can make us sing in the spring with delight!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOL Faye! Shipped to you bare-rooted in a bejeweled jumpsuit.

Now, Elvis On Stage, what was Livingston supposed to do with that? THAT name was built-in for this hybrid! He HAD to do it! LOL

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

I agree that Blazing Saddles is a good name. Up there on a par with Wide Brim, Blaze of Glory,

I'll have to look at Elvis Lives, because I had a mental image of black velvet paintings and avoided the hosta.

I avoid hosta with LONG NAMES.
    I finally got Pineapple Upsidedown Cake. amd Silver Threads Golden Needles (the name tag is wider than the hosta), now I have Yellow Polka Dot Bikini. What puts me off is thinking about all the lettering on the display tags!

Thinking that way, Elvis Lives is not too bad.

• User
    9 years ago

You are right, there was no other name that would work. I have On Stage. If I feel the need for an "Elvis" in the family, it will be "Elvis On Stage"....what a GREAT GOLD....like a gold lame jump suit! Lycra stretch of course.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Myrle gave me an Elvis Lives in 2012 and has grown quickly. Now I ordered Atomic Elvis from Hosta Choice and can hardly wait for my order to arrive( 34 in all) Picture from 2013 but over 17 pips up so far.( Started with 5) Her's is a beauty as all her plants. Nice addition to the gardens but maybe need to give it more shade to be blue longer

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

'Elvis Lives' x 'Cadillac'...'Elvis Lives in his Cadillac'???

Wonder how that could look? We COULD go on...

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

blue suede shoes

blue hawaii

surprised we don't have a lakeside elvis, but mebbe that's what lakeside blue jeans was ...

blue christmas ... need to cross elvis lives w/ christmas tree or NBC

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

If he lived, he would be an old frat.

==>>> is this an homage.. or a typo ... lol

carp!!

ken

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I got talked into buying an Elvis Lives hosta years ago by a nursery owner. It has grown well,despite not looking well the first year I had it. It comes up early,and that may be a problem some years,like this year,but it is in a fairly protected area of the garden,and did OK this year. Phil

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

Here is another division of my Elvis (mine is much smaller). These two pictures are growing in the Pacific Northwest, aparently the best place to grow hostas in the world. This is my sisters garden.