Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delawaredonna

Hostas you "kicked to the curve"

DelawareDonna
9 years ago

Orange Marmalade just wouldn't perform for me - even after it was replaced. I hate wasting money on losers.

DD

Comments (10)

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

I am donating Captains Adventure and Ripple Effect. Neither to my liking but I think someone else might like them. Rain Forest Sunrise got a shovel death from me. It always looked bad. I don't know if I got a bad one or what but I wasn't going to take any chances passing it along. I would like to donate gold edger. Its a decent hosta but I would like an edger with more yellow - so I'm still thinking about it. I could go on but I'm starting to sound finicky:)

Beverly

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

My 'Orange Marmalade' is coming up looking oh-so dinky. We'll see how that goes.

Welcome back, Donna!!

Don B.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Guys, something weird must be going on at my place. Guacamole, Fried Bananas, and Stained Glass all came back smaller, and Orange Marmelade, Fire and Ice, Lakeside Cupcake, and Great Expectations doubled or better. Beginner's luck for sure. Don and Mocc, your fragrants hate me!!

My Rainforest Sunrise was a puny (yet adorable) liner last year, and it survived the winter but still looks puny (I'm over the adorable...I just want it to GROW)

Underachiever plants in my garden get moved to an area behind our fence...no watering, no critter protection, so only the strong survive. The only hostas back there so far are undulatas and a Gold Standard (made way for Paul's Glory, so momma can't complain...). I haven't been hosta-ing long enough to be frustrated with any. I'm still in the honeymoon phase.

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Jadie88...that is weird....but then I thought about the weird weather across the country, and who knows? Maybe this abnormal weather pattern caused a hosta Switcheroo. Mine aren't unfurled yet, so not sure what I'm going to see.

• flowerchild59
    9 years ago

Kiwi blue something, what a loser, burns in early spring sun, so does borwick beauty. I have tried several times for maui buttercups, king midas, liberty, orange marmalade, olive branch, and so many more that I won't purchase again. The ones that I can't stand anymore I dig up and toss to my chickens who decimate them. At least I get an egg or two from my hosta dollars lost.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Flowerchild59, I love your chickens - very cute.

Jaddie88, I've no explaination - unless you live in Oz. Perhaps you should change your handle to Glinda:)

I''m thinking about kicking out Lemon Lime. It hasn't done well for me. Anyone have any success with this one or how to grow it, or even a replacement for it?

Beverly

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

For me this would read "should" kick to the curb. I have a few that never seem to reach their potential but like jadie88, I move them out back or to a small nursery bed, hoping they will improve.

My most aggravating has been Francis Williams. I know I've been told to replace it with Olive Bailey Langdon but I keep trying different locations and haven't been successful yet. I'm going to try once more (said that last time...LOL).

I did discard a couple large clumps of Golden Tiara last year but only because I've got to much of it.

I hardly have the heart to discard anything, I sometimes will let an unidentifiable "weed" grow, hoping it might be some interesting flower.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

I had given up on Paradise Expectations which was overrun and shaded by Bressingham Blue and others. Growing slow, small leaves. Not to mention slug bait. But, after reading Ken's post about the sun needs of GE, I decided to move PE out into the sun. Maybe even some slug pellets too.

It was that or follow Ken's other advice and throw it onto the driveway in hope it would improve.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I divided my 'Orange Marmalade' for my own use, and they are doing fine. My 'Lemon Lime' are like a weed, spreading rapidly with neglect. My 'Paradise Expectations' is not growing too fast, but is OK, grows in shade, might be faster in more sun.
    My 'Rainforest Sunrise' got eaten by nematodes, a real magnet for them, got removed with some soil.
    Bernd

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I must be doing something right. My Orange Marmalade,Rainforest Sunrise,and Frances Williams grow very well,here. I have six FW's and they all look good. One I don't care about is Praying Hands. It is stll alive,but pathetic. I agree about OBL,however. A really good grower! Phil

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor