Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

So what's the latest on Great Expectations?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
11 years ago

I've been doing a lot of hosta research the past couple weeks, including a whole bunch of older posts on this forum. It seems to me that several years ago there were lots of posters moaning and groaning (and cursing) Gt Expectations--seems like a lot of them were growing poorly and even declining and dying. Yet, when I was looking at posted pictures for the past couple years, I was seeing healthy, thriving Gt Expectations--quite a few of them, in fact.

Oddest thing is that no one is commenting on these more recent pictures of thriving Gt Expectations. I'd really like to hear from you gardeners who have evidently had great success growing Gt Expectations. If earlier hosta gardeners were having so much trouble with this hosta, what are more recent gardeners doing to make their Gt Expectations thrive with no apparent troubles?

If you can't tell, I've fallen in love with Gt Expectations, so share your secrets of successfully growing it with me--OK? Thanks!

Kate

Comments (63)

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

Lets see ...these three are on the north side of the house, just barely under the eaves of the roof.. They get some direct sunlight until maybe 8 am ? and then they are in a light shade from the house, no more water than any of my others .. Although I do on occasion give them some aquarium water...

I forgot to add I have thrown down some Diametrous earth? to hopefully hurt slugs and cutworms.. I had some left over from my aquarium days(its a filter item) so that is what the white powder is in some pics...

This one gets some direct sunlight from about 8-11 am, and is again just under the eaves , but on the south side of the house. This plant is actually stuck into a rock garden, with the bad type of matt under the rock, I have opened it up for it, and it does get rain unless the wind is blowing hard. It gets some Fish water as well now and then.

the last plant is tucked up against my shrubs, and gets direct light from maybe just after dawn until 8 am, and then dappled light the rest of the day.. mostly shade. this plant darkens up a little and seems to grown bigger leaves. It also gets much more rain when it falls, and when there is a hard rain, a creek flows right behind it down the property line (over the grass). Also I THINK the neighbors sump pump drains within 8-10 feet of it...

it starts out Identical to the others, but after a month or two it doesn't stay as bright, I do think it is now the biggest of the five, and I spotted a new eye the other day.. unless I am confusing it with another plant...

I might add ignorance may be bliss, because i bought them all cheap at a box store and didn't know about there reputation, or the fact that rock gardens with weed mat are poor habitat.

I just keep hoping they come up every spring, and will enjoy them until they don't .

• tomahawkclaim
    11 years ago

It's raining here (hey!!) so I can't take a picture, but I've posted pics of my great Great Expectations in the past. It gets sun from 3:30 till 6:00, in clay soil originally amended with compost, now fertilized and mulched. Rarely given additional water.

My main hosta garden is on a hill beyond a pond. GE is probably 50 yards away from my house but so striking that it is readily identifiable even from that range (beats the 10 foot rule by a healthy margin). Nance

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

a couple observations

i have had 8 or 9 .. many gifts.. its carp .. and that is not cursing.. its a fish ...

second ... just go back to the top .. and look at the ZONE of all posters ... unless i missed something only one is warmer than z5 ... historically it seemed the vast majority of peeps who succeed were in MN and WI ... i always wondered if relatively cooler nights was the issue ... a period for it to recover the transpiring of the day ...

someone said: Well, now, this is interesting--2 posters say morning sun, 2 others say late afternoon sun. They do seem to agree a loose growing medium is needed, however.

==>>> morning.. afternoon.. its irrelevant ... the point is NOT IN THE SUN IN THE HOT PART OF THE DAY ...

the key.. IMHO ... is that the white center.. is a net negative on the plant... it produces no chlorophyll, so it weakens the plant ... and it cant move water in white tissue as effectively as green tissue ... since hosta transpire.. or sweat ... tissue that does not perform at peak efficiency ... is lost.. which in hosta mean .. burns out .. aka looks ratty ... [a hosta which loses more water than it can process in a given time frame.. eventually burns]

oh no.. coffee buzz hitting.. who knows were we will go next.. lol ...

it took me many failures to understand.. that i should NOT buy the babes with the biggest white center.. as far as i am concerned.. they are foo foo plants.. that only survive in prime conditions.. like a greenhouse.. i improved my success.. somewhat.. when i tried babes with the smallest white center.. there being more green to grow the roots.. to grow the plant.. and the white center followed.. its one reason dream weaver does better ... it has more green to grow the roots ...

back in the day.. i was buying 6 inch.. second year TC ... they all failed ... i once bought a mature clump with 20 divisions.. and it failed too ...

bottom line..its carp .. but most likely.. you all have to try at least one.. lol ...

ken

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I have no problems with GE. They look beautiful. The one in morning sun and dappled shade has a darker center, has steady markings all year.
    The one in more sun has brighter centers, gets more regular water from the vegetable garden, sits on a berm. That one has a second flush of leaves with streaks. It sits between H. montana 'On Stage' and H.'Abba Dabba Doo', also doing fine.
    Bernd

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting that most of the responses are from Zone 5 (including all the of failed experiences also). I appreciate all those responses, but now am wondering about the experiences of those in, say, Zone 6. Are there differences in how Gt Expectations grows in different zones?

This is all so helpful. Thanks for all the input. Anyone else? Please give your 2 cents also.

Kate

• esox48
    11 years ago

Here's one I saw at a nursery near Hayward, Wisconsin. Seems to be doing fine several inches from a gravel road.

11 years ago

see !!! see!!!

a braggart from MN showing us a WI plant.. [and note.. only able to brag they have the picture.. not the plant.. lol] ...

did i tell you????

in all my years .... i have never seen one like that.. ANYWHERE .. i think its fake.. lol

ken

• esox48
    11 years ago

Actually, I just took that shot because it's a spot near our lake cabin in Wisconsin. And that's not the only big GE they have at that nursery.

I have one that's growing fairly well, but it takes a little time. Nowhere near as big as the one in the photo. May take a photo of mine today as I never seem to get around to taking photos. Definitely need to take one of the man-eating Sun Power.

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

ken-I follow your point regarding location. Two of my 3 failures were in northern Arkansas, zone 6A. One of my failures were in Illinois Z5B, and both daughters failed Great Expectations were also in 5B. Every one of mine were planted in different sun conditions from total high shade to dappled shade to several hours of morning sun. Watering varied also. One of mine was just beyond the drip line of a silver maple where a number of my hostas are doing magnificantly. Two had no shallow rooted trees any where near them. Two were in amended heavy clay dirt and one in my current coal dust dirt. To me, Great Expectastions is like Russian Roulette where every cylinder has a bullet in it.

My success rate with hostas is very high (with GE and FW lost in multiples excluded) only two which were potting errors on my part. I think you can see from my recently posted photos, my hostas are in pretty good shape, if the neatness of my gardens isn't.

I am happy for all of us who have had success with GE and not for my failure. If I didn't really like GE's expectations,I wouldn't have purchased 5 of them.

Les

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have to admire the determination of those of you who purchase multiple plants of Gt Expectations, but I don't think I will be that committed to it. If I have no success with the Gt Expectations arriving next week, then my next post on here will probably be "what hosta looks similar to Gr Expectations but is a fast, easy grower?" : )

Kate

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Hey, Home Depot has luck growing them, how come? My local HD sells very nice big, sturdy, healthy, blooming plants at $4.28 per pot, all grown in the US. I hit my hands, thought about HVX, but could not resist the $4.28. They will grow out of the way in my garden doubled up.
    Bernd

• liveoutside
    11 years ago

This is my first ever picture posting, so I apologize if I screw it up. This one's about 4 years old, in clay soil, in a bit of a root battle with the Ash it's up against, and sun off and on during all times of day. The rock at the lower right is about 7-8 inches across.

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

Very NICE !!!

:)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

liveoutside, if I hadn't already fallen for Gt Expectations, your pic certainly would have caused me to fall head over heels! Wow, that is the most beautiful picture!

Kate

• Eleanor B
    11 years ago

Seeing a picture of a blooming GE almost 20 years ago is how I first became attracted to hosta. Although a slow increaser, my @ 16-yr-old GE is now one of the largest by leaf size and certainly the most stunning hosta in my landscape. It has been moved about 4 times till the most suitable location was found, which, in my yard, is an area that receives some afternoon sun. I (reluctantly)divided it for the first time this spring and potted the divisions and it (and divisions) made it through the surgery(whew!) just fine.

• liveoutside
    11 years ago

Aw, thank you, Kate. :-) I'm glad you enjoyed the picture and are giving GE a try! She's worth it! I really should get out there this weekend and get some pics of it in full bloom. Kathy

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

Very ice Ronnie! I am loving these bigger older plants coming to light !

If I could ask a question .. did it slowly add eyes the whole time? or did it ever have any years where it greatly increased in size?

Great stuff in this thread...

• nutmeg4061
    11 years ago

Leafwatcher, great question.
    To those with the big, ole' GEs...
    did it ever have a "leap" year?

Michelle

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    11 years ago

Great discussion. Here is a picture of GE planted last fall. Will see if it comes back next year and continues to grow. It certainly has grown. I am surprised to see the it is ready to bloom.

Vivian

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

Is it crazy to think somewhere along the line a better sturdier plant has EVOLVED from earlier Great Expectations?

• sally_grower
    11 years ago

Here are 2 of mine. I bought and planted the 1st one in 1996 and the 2nd in 2000. I have 5 in the ground, 4 are potted, becasue a vole attacted one this past winter!

• Eleanor B
    11 years ago

>>>Is it crazy to think somewhere along the line a better sturdier plant has EVOLVED from earlier Great Expectations????I purchased my successful beauty almost 20 years ago....from the garden center of a discount store!

>>>did it slowly add eyes the whole time? or did it ever have any years where it greatly increased in size?I really don't recall it having a leap year...just has steadily increased year after year.
    I increased the size of my bed, added some compost, and moved it foreward several times, probably about every three years. It is located where it has good drainage and, as I mentioned earlier, gets afternoon sun.

• janroze
    11 years ago

I hope I am not repeating, cuz I didn't have time to read all the others. However, I know how frustrating this temptress can be.
    I killed her 3 times before finding the right spot, so you see, I fell in love with her too. She now resides on the East side of the house, between two mature French lilacs with barely enough room for her to squeeze into the space between them.
    I think she delights in the early morning sun. I tried her in this spot, because someone else, on the forum, had written that she liked morning sun.
    gramma_jan

• timhensley
    11 years ago

I've seen a couple of gorgeous ones but after 10 years and deciding to dig and compost GE it finally started to grow. I'll give it one more year. If it continues to grow i'll be very happy. If not, to the compost pile it will go.

• idiothe
    11 years ago

I've got three... one shrunk due to unknown reasons... the other two are lovely... true eye-catchers, which is saying something when they are in the presense of over 2000 hostas in my yard.

I understand people trying it and deciding it doesn't grow well in their locale or garden - and sympanthize - and recognize my success comes more from luck than from being a great gardener - but it remains one of the most beautiful hosta leaves in the world and is only carp for those who can't grow it... It's in my top ten.

• nutmeg4061
    11 years ago

MyHostas Database says there is a 'Great American Expectations'..
    "Hosta 'Great American Expectations' is a new introduction that may be the answer to those who complained that H. 'Great Expectations' grows too slow. Selected by two of America's top hosta gurus, Van Wade and Ed Elslager, this mutation reportedly grows much faster and larger than its parent H. 'Great Expectations'. Each 4' wide clump is topped in late spring with 2' tall scapes of light lavender flowers."

I know nothing about its availability.
    Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: MyHostas Database: Info about Hosta Great American Expectations

• woodnative
    11 years ago

I think there was/is some stronger and some weaker clones that otherwise looked identical, coming out of tissue culture. I got my GE years ago.....it was planted by our front walk. It got to big so I Plopped it in the back corner of our yard.....thought it might be doomed but it has thrived there too and it is now big (bigger than most of these photos here). I am in zone 6-ish in central NJ. My soil is shallow and somewhat heavy. We had a couple drought years where I lost a few Hostas but this did fine.

• eclecticcottage
    11 years ago

I JUST picked one up from a farm in Orchard Park NY (part of Murray Bros Nursery). I hadn't even had it on my mind when we went, but they had one in the gardens that was large and lovely, so I added it to my mental list. It is in my brand new Hosta garden that the several HUGE (nameless) green Hostas that were here when we bought the house created (they were in desperate need of a dividing, but then I ended up with more than I could fit in where they had been, so a new garden bed was called for). Only time will tell if it happy there or not.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This whole issue of Great Expectations has come up again in another post, so I'm scooting this up to the first page again--so others can read all these fine and interesting responses.

Kate

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Everyone should give this one a try at least 3 times under different conditions in their own gardens, just to see. When it grows well (as you can see from above pics)it is simply spectacular. I'm on number 2 for now and plan to persevere.

-Babka

• woodnative
    11 years ago

I have not had problems with this cultivar. I am in NJ. Maybe I am lucky and got a more vigorous "form" of this plant. This one is a GIANT>

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

That is a beaut !!!!!

thanks for sharing the pic..

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

Just wanted to report that GE is back again this year along with all the others. It did seem to start a little later than my NOIDS but is further along than Dream Queen who is in the same bed. We shall see.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

After posting pictures of my 2 new Great Expectations last year, I was told it was far too early to judge either a success. After reading the posts, I took a walk outside and took a couple of pictures.

This GE gets more Sun, but was slowed down by my stepping on it last year crushing about 1/3 of it.

This puppy gets maybe 3/4 hour less sun (morning). I suppose it is still too early for me to claim victory over the GE curse, but I like the progress so far.

If you look at it closely it does look like a face.

Jon

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Fri, May 10, 13 at 11:04

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

Mine have been SO SLOW to get up and open, it worries me how long its taking with the cool weather, I just wish they would open up and start catching some sun !

Jon yours look good, and avoid stepping on them ! hahahah I think you must live in the right spot because the plants look healthy to me.

• marquest
    10 years ago

Seeing it in my garden it is such a pretty hosta I will not be upset if it does not get large.

We buy mini hostas for a specific spot.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Leafwatcher, there are quite a few that I will not show to avoid incriminating myself...they seem to bounce back from my abuse though.

Jon

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I loved the info in this thread last year. I had posted a pic of my GE and it was doing okay for third year. I bought it in 2010 at a grocery store for $10.99 (Canadian). In 2011 it had 3 eyes, 2012 it had 5 eyes and this year it has 8 eyes. So growing slowly but surely and the colours are wonderful.

Below are photos of it in varying years.

The year I bought it.
    {{gwi:1005826}}
    Unfortunately, the only photo I could find from 2011 is below. That year, I cleared out a lot of room for the hostas but had not done it yet when this pic was taken. GE is barely visible on right side in front of Krossa.
    {{gwi:1005828}}
    2012 which I posted above last year
    {{gwi:1001066}}
    and this year. The pic below was taken in late afternoon with the sun on it. I will see if I can get another pic with different lighting to show off the colours better.
    {{gwi:1005831}}
    and for fun, here is a pic of the bed to compare to those above.
    {{gwi:1005833}}

• Mary4b
    10 years ago

I'm bumping this thread...I am hoping to remind those who posted that we'd love to see updates for 2014... I think I'm going to try one...or three...this year. I do think I have some good spots for them, and since I am in Wisconsin (and travel to MN a lot), I must surely be a good candidate for success!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Three is the charm for me. If it doesn't do well after three tries, I give up. I am on my third GE that I got last year.

If it grows well for me for three years I'm happy.

So I will have an opinion next year.

It is such a beautiful hosta, and worth the effort.

-Babka

• timhensley
    10 years ago

There's one lady in the upstate New York hosta society that has the largest and most jaw dropping GE that I have ever seen. It gets morning sun and is in a wet area of her garden.

I brought mine from TN to VT ten years ago and it has almost doubled in size. I was going to dig it up last year and toss it but it's putting out a beautiful vibrant blue sport, so it got another reprieve.

As Ken said "it's carp". Unless it has ideal conditions, it's a waste of space, time and money.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 9:07

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Here is this GREAT advice on growing GE, from forum member dhaven, which I have saved for future reference.

"dhaven
    Some varieties are very picky about growing conditions, and unless they are planted in optimum conditions, they will either remain small, or fade away and die. The best example of this I know of is Great Expectations, which also happens to be my favorite hosta. A great many people have lost this one, sometimes more than once. I have three very large mature plants, and they are the prettiest thing in the garden. It took some experimentation, but there are three things that GE absolutely must have to thrive.
    First, and most importantly, plant it shallowly. It's going to be a very large plant, so the natural inclination is to plant it deeply, but this will kill it faster than anything else. Plant it so shallowly you are convinced that it will tip over, and you've got it right. Secondly, it likes a lot of light. Dappled shade is ideal, but it will take several hours of direct sun, either morning or afternoon. Third, it likes a lot of water. If you give a GE all three of these things, you will increase your chances of growing it into an absolutely stunning plant.
    If you want to try any of the hostas that have the reputation of being difficult, be prepared to try different locations and growing methods, and possibly go through several plants before you discover what works for that variety in your location. When you do find out what works, please share the information with the rest of us!"

10 years ago

isnt johnny's coloration backwards.. GE is white centered .. isnt it??

ken

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Hey, Johnnyb! Don't know where your GE is, but the pic you posted in error is lovely...what's the name of this one? Love the wide margins! When you find your GE don't forget to post. :-)

Jo

• esox48
    10 years ago

A great Great Expecations is one of the greatest hostas you will ever see. So if it doesn't grow so great for you, perhaps you should just say, "Great, I'll get another and try again."

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

Why do so many try to grow great expectations again and again? Because it is drop dead gorgeous and if you are successful with it you feel so pleased with yourself! And it is GORGEOUS!!! I spent an age going through all the pix posted. Did I mention gorgeous??????? I tried my second (or is it third?) last fall, it is coming up and look goods, but it it really too early to tell. We'll see. And if I loose it I will try again. I am just sayin'!

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

Personally I'd give it a try. First one I tried took off. It is planted in a lot of sun and gets watered regularly by the sprinkler system and I'm glad to have it. I'm not saying I would have tried it over and over again, but wouldn't discourage someone new from giving it a try. It's a beautiful Hosta. Mine was about 4' across lost year.

Dan

This post was edited by dansgrdn on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 0:11

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Dan.

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Rosie, couldn't agree with you more! I happen to love how mine looked last year exposed to more sunshine.