Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beckoning

Posted by leaflover76 5b (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 20:37

Anyone have Beckoning? I bought it this year because of the Hosta Library photo and mine did not have the variegation once unfurled. Does it come later in the season? I would love photos.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beckoning

Variegation took about a month to develop on mine. Second year plant.

Photobucket

Steve

o

It needs sun to really show off.

Dave

o

I've had mine in the garden for many years, it starts to colour up mid June, by mid July it is a show stopper.

o

Sun and warm weather make all the difference with this plant. It has also been a very slow grower. It's actually one of my least favorites.

o

I have high hopes for Beckoning. It colors up fairly early here, but it is slow. Mine is still one small eye after four years.

o

I've long been interested in Hosta that change their characteristics through the season (see my rant on blue Hosta planted in lotsa sun).

This particular one is on my faves list with regard to this, along with 'Cynthia', 'Rascal, 'Gold Regal', 'Janet', et. al.

Just another wonderful variation of the interest of Genus Hosta!

hh

o

Interesting to see contrast in this bed change - top pic is in May with blue-green Beckoning in brighter green sea of Sweet Woodruff, as compared to now.

Paul

o

So you do not mean the blue looking plant in the background, but the one with only blue margins left....and then a grayish green leaf with a bit of makeup on the veins?

Geez, that is a big difference. Also difference in the sweet woodruff.

Neat. Pretty both ways.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here