Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Pics from my garden today (pic heavy)

donrawson
10 years ago

Here are a few pics from my garden today. Please excuse the raindrops...

Ocean's Fury, the bluest hosta I have (Rawson NR)
{{gwi:1006385}}

When I Dream (Rawson NR)
{{gwi:1006387}}

Yellow Emperor
{{gwi:1006388}}

Osiris Obscur, very unusual...I like it!
{{gwi:1006389}}

Midnight Oil

Blue Rawhide (Rawson NR)

Color Revolt (Rawson 2010)

Dark Secret
{{gwi:1006393}}

American Eagle
{{gwi:1006394}}

American Blue Wrinkles, a very nice hosta with huge puckers and convexly-cupped leaves

Abiqua Hallucination

Gator Hide (Rawson NR)
{{gwi:1006398}}

Lakeside Foot Prints

Gift of Gold (Beilstein NR)

{{gwi:1006401}}

Comments (28)

• hostasrgreat
    10 years ago

Don, I have been looking for Midnight Oil for a few years now. Do you know of any nurseries that sell it?

Your breeding program is full of plants with texture.

I still enjoy 'Blue Challenger'; hosta is doing well. I have a bunch of blues but 'challenger' is as nice as any of them.

Thanks

Tom

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

wow. There are a couple of hosta there that I haven't seen before. For example, American Blue Wrinkle, that's not a hosta we ordinary gardeners can get. Nice garden beds as well. Thanks for sharing.

Beverly

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Nice plants. Did you take them at night? When I dream looks exactly like Great Expectations,and Yellow Emperor looks like Dawns Early Light. Just an observation. Phil

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Great seedlings, Don. Ocean's Fury is a wonderful blue. Where did Osiris Obscure come from? Wow is that different.

Steve

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

So many of these look positively reptilian. Like they might open their eyes and snap at me if I tried to get close! I am really intrigued by Osiris Obscure, as well.

Also, I remember peeking at photos of your garden last summer, and am really enjoying these new ones! How do you keep your lawn so manicured?? I am too busy trying to keep my hosta beds presentable.

• ademink
    10 years ago

I screamed when I saw Osiris Obscur..eeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Is that from Les Jardins Osiris? I bow to their ligularia...and covet them. lol Dying to get my hands on Ligularia 'Osiris Chameleon'....but I digress....

This post was edited by ademink on Tue, May 28, 13 at 22:08

• ademink
    10 years ago

I seriously may die if I don't find Osiris Obscur. LOL Did you get that in the states, Don?!?!

IT'S AMAZING! First hosta I have obsessed over in over 4 years. Speaking of which..your 'Rhino Hide' is the first hosta I have purchased in FOUR YEARS. Is that wild, or what? The Whino wooed me. HA

The obsession is ignited again. LOL Thanks!

• User
    10 years ago

Yes, I can see all the above as special. But as I scanned through, my heart skipped a beat and I smiled when I saw,
    COLOR REVOLT. I fell in love all over again. It is one of my special potted treasures, flourishing like a champ here in zone 9a south Alabama.

So glad to see the tough skins continuing. I haven't seen a squirrel or anything brave enough to take a bit out of Rhino Hide, or Rhino Blue either....and the pair of 2nd year plants are doing great here too. Did I read that thicker leaves make moisture retention easier in our hot climate?.....or did I just sort of HOPE that was true?

It figures that your personal garden has trophy winning specimens everywhere. It's what we dream of seeing at our homes. How exciting to have such exotic beauties to gaze upon every day.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Don. Your property is stunning, as always. 'Ocean's Fury' is a fantastic-looking blue, and it's got one of the coolest names I've heard for a Hosta. Jeez, are you underrated! Really, Don, you're as good as just about anyone, and better than most. Keep up the amazing work.

Don B.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

All I can say is WOW! And the long shot gets a triple WOW!!!

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Don, you have very nice hostas, just got hosta 'Rhino Hide', love it! I am also in large hostas with round corrugated, rugosa, wrinkled, etc. leaves, cupped or no cup, just got some more. Keep up the good work!
    Bernd

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

When I dream looks exactly like Great Expectations,and Yellow Emperor looks like Dawns Early Light. Just an observation. Phil

Phil, you're right, 'When I Dream' does look a lot like GE, but 'Dawn's Early Light' is more puckered and has wavier edges than 'Yellow Emperor'.

Thanks for the eye-candy, Don!

Pieter

• LRB3
    10 years ago

Love love love Ocean's Fury!

• ademink
    10 years ago

Color Revolt IS awesome - reminds me of a bigger Whirlwind!

• Gesila
    10 years ago

You should see Yellow Emperor in person. It's in a shady part of Don's garden and is one of the prettiest yellows I've ever seen.

WW, Don's gardens are immaculate!

Don, as always, enjoyed your pictures. Am fortunate that I am one of the lucky ones that have been able to visit your gardens on more than one occasion.

Gesila

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

BUMP BUMP BUMP
    This is another perfect example of "enabling" ... Mocc posts, peaks interest, someone else comments, and so it goes...I, too, looked up Yellow Emperor and whilst devouring the pics, I ran across the Don R. one .... and followed the link...WOW...I would buy them all if I could get my hands on them!!!

Don, your gardens are so beautiful...not to mention the exquisite hosta. As Guacamole Don says " geez, you are underrated" ! Another Wow..I am so glad I looked this up.

Jo

10 years ago

Bumped for Mocc :-)

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

I love that American Blue Wrinkles, never heard if it before.
    Fantastic garden.

• User
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jo. It seems a spring fever has come upon me, and I spent almost the entire weekend browsing hosta catalogs and reading posts and doing some research about hostahostahosta. So....what else is new with the rest of the forum?

Don keeps his garden so perfect, my first impulse is to ask him, "How many gardeners do you employ full time to keep it that nice?" Mine will never be so lovely.

Somewhere I seem to remember pictures of the massive construction of curbed bed borders and paved pathways of this garden. THAT is total dedication, and also self-knowledge....Don knows his interest in hosta is a life long affair. I have to admire the garden on all points.

• donrawson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the compliments! Yes, my wife and I really enjoy gardening...it's a lifelong passion!

Mountainy Man- hosta American Blue Wrinkles is a beautiful rugose and contorted hosta in the Van Wade garden. Cupped downward. I doubt that it is available yet...but I did hear rumors about putting it in TC. I will take more pics of it this summer...

• ademink
    10 years ago

Osiris Obscur. Want it.

• mjjones453
    10 years ago

Don, please post pics again of your garden in the spring!

10 years ago

DITTO on that last request, please.

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

American Blue Wrinkles...gardners lust!!
    Your yard is just gorgeous.

• donrawson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Coming down my driveway in the spring... 20,000 daffodils
    {{gwi:933709}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

OK, they are not poppies, but it still seems like I can almost see an Emerald City in the background.

Great shot of those daffodils, Don.

tj

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Fantastic, Don. Even better than the Emerald City, Don Rawson's hosta gardens are somewhere in the background. : )

Don B.

• hosta-see
    10 years ago

I have a new cell phone and wanted to see if there was any difference in posting pic's so I thought this post fit, the pic is of Christmas Candy in my garden 2013.