Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Question about Risky Business Hosta

kentstar
11 years ago

I had planted two of these Risky Business last spring. One in the big 16 inch pot and one in the ground. The one in the ground is in part shade in spring with more shade as the trees leaf out. The one in the pot I kept in my unheated shed all winter. It sits in my front yard which faces west and gets part sun most of the day with a little more sun in the afternoons. I keep them well watered now too.

The problem is both are VERY small. I bought them from a reputable online source which claimed that they were "from mature divisions." They came with very small roots and only one eye! And they STILL have just one eye this year!

Do I need to lift and replant higher? Wait another year or two? I have read that Risky Business is supposed to be a fast grower, but I'm not seeing it. How can I invigorate it to grow better? The one in the ground is planted in mostly silty loam and has added compost from fall. The one in the pot was planted in a mix of Miracle Grow potting MIX, perlite, vermiculite, and pine fines. What am I doing wrong? btw: both have just two leavess about an inch long right now

Thanks

kentstar

Comments (8)

• franknjim
    11 years ago

You have to wait. Usually in terms of years.

First year they sleep.
    Second year they creep.
    Third year they leap.

Digging up or disturbing the root system of a hosta will only start you over from the beginning of the waiting period. Hosta do not grow fast like annual flowers for instant gratification. If you want to start off with a larger plant you have to buy a multi-eyed plant grown in a pot or buy multiple single eyed plants and put them all together as one.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Can't tell if it's planted too deep without a picture. If you got your "mature division" from Hosta's Direct, there's your answer. They specialize in miniscule plants. You know how to make them grow. Lots of water, a bit of sun, and appropriate amount of fert. Or better yet go buy a larger one from a better nursery. That's what I intend to do with my LS Paisley Print from HD.

Steve

• kentstar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Steve, you guessed it! lolol I didn't want to mention names but bingo! That explains it! Miniscule hostas is right!

Well, I will give it more time but I thought I remembered Ken saying that they can sometimes be lifted and planted shallow to help the growth if planted too deep.

I'll have to search Ken's brilliant posts lol!

• kentstar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a previous post from ken...credit goes to ken_adrian

hosta that are out of the orinarily slow may be planted too deep .... dig up the whole root ball .... heave it as high as you can ... right back into the same hole .... and make sure the top of the crown is right at ground level .... it will take off like a rocket ... or you will find out it is dead ...
    the near death experience is said to trigger hormone release.... a growth stimulant ...

banyai told me [pauline of gold standard fame's son] that he would scrape puny hosta across cement to scar the roots ... thereby stimulating it ...

he walked around my yard one summer and pointed to 20 hosta that were underperforming ... and told me they were all planted too deep ...

he was right ... lift them up .. and they will take off ... do NOT be gentle ...

Contributed by ken_adrian

• irawon
    11 years ago

I think that you did not get a mature division as Steve intimates. My 'Risky Business' multiplied quickly.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

With respect to the one in a pot...Hostas are DIFFERENT in pots. Repot your potted one in a pot that just contains the roots. When the roots grow out of the drain holes, up pot it up ONE size. Otherwise, roots will rot, trust me, I found out the hard way and lost a bunch. You don't need to disturb the roots when you pot it up to the next size pot. Just take that formed root mass and plop it into a pot about 2" greater in diameter.

-Babka

• Gesila
    11 years ago

I just noticed my Risky Business has a solid green leaf, does this one revert easily?

• kentstar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just an update: I lifted the one Risky Business that was in the pot. I needed to see what the heck was going on.

The rootsystem was tiny! No wonder it wouldn't grow well. I lifted and made sure to plant higher. I also incorporated some compost/composted manure blend into the pot. We'll see how it goes. If it doesn't do well I will go to a better vendor (I can think of a couple off the top of my head like Hallsons :) or New Hampshire hostas.