Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eclecticcottage

A little pond amoung the Hosta

eclecticcottage
10 years ago

Just created this bed, and there was a spot I couldn't plant it (tree roots). So...I took an old garbage can lid we never used and made a little pond for the birds and wee critters to have a drink at.

Comments (10)

• becky_ia
    10 years ago

How darling! What a great idea!

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

I'm sure many small creatures will be grateful! I hope that won't include mosquitoes!
    Jan

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

We don't have many mosquitoes here. Sand flies, by the millions though. I try to clean out/change the water on my bird baths/pools every few days and just about every day when it's hot. I have a regular bird bath (pedestal and dish) then various other saucers and old glassware pots about to a total of 6 or 7. Even with the lake right here, they see a LOT of use in the summer! I added two this year (this one and another in a perennial bed) to the four I had last year. In the hottest months, I would come home to empty saucers last year from the water being splashed out/drunk (drank?). I might add another regular bird bath still, and maybe another old pot (pyrex), I just need to determine a place for them. Well, and maybe a bigger water feature with a pump in a "problem" bed that would take up space from annoying plants like lily of the valley!

• laurastheme
    10 years ago

Very creative. I've considered a mini pond, but our dog would probably drink all the water. I have birdbaths on my side deck and she's always drinking out of it. It's not like she doesn't have a water bowl here in the house.

• frankielynnsie
    10 years ago

I wonder if this attracts butterflies? Have you seen any? They need a damp spot with dirt for minerals and water.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I don't know about all butterflies, but gulf fritillaries lay their eggs on passionflowers, Here, their favorite variety is Constance Elliott. Swallowtails lay their eggs on dill or parsley. Monarchs like milkweed. They all eat pollen, as far as I know. I'm certainly no expert, but have raised passionflowers and herbs and found the butterflies a nuisance.

bk

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My dog probably would also drink from it, but she doesn't come up to the front yard. Actually...I KNOW she would drink from it, because she can't wait to get outside when it rains to drink from puddles...because apparently that tastes better than the water in her dish.

No butterflies there yet. I've only seen a few so far this year flitting by. I set out a mud dish last year but never saw any visit it (not that they didn't and I didn't see them though).

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

I've noticed that my goofy dogs would much, much rather drink any kind of outside water vs their inside the house dog water. Why? Who knows!?

• imjustsam
    10 years ago

Thanks for the idea. I pinned this and also started to follow you on Pinterest. Did you glue the first layer of stones to the lid? I am thinking about doing this with one of my SEVERAL bowls.

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No glue, I just rinsed the gravel alot and spread it around the bottom. Then I placed the stones around the outside edge. I think they would stay better if they weren't used as a perch by the visiting birds coming for a bath, but since the idea was to provide water for them...I just fix them every so often as I walk by.