Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gesila_gw

They're starting to unfurl

Gesila
9 years ago

Some of the hostas are finally unfurling. Here's a few pictures. I love the yellows in the Spring.

St. Elmo's Fire

Liberty, this is why we all have one! It sure puts on a spectacular spring show:

June Fever:

We bought Brother Stefan on Thursday. It's going to have a home in the back when the hostas around it unfurl.

Sage, it's going to be a monster this year!

Lemon Lime, these are always the first ones to come up:

Majesty, new last year, growing in full sun:

Empress Wu, at 19 eyes, I can't wait for this one to leaf out all the way!

The island in my front yard. Ran out of mulch and was too tired to get more:

Gesila

Comments (9)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Simply wonderful! I remember you, Gesila, when you first came to the forum and were buying hostas by the truck load. Didn't you once post a video of a walk around your yard? When Moccasinlanding showed up here buying every hosta she could get her hands on, I thought of YOU, wondering how that worked out for you. Glad to have you back with photos!

It is SO very good to see that all that hard work has paid off and that you are being able to enjoy mature hostas, and I am enjoying seeing them. I have such limited space here and can only dream...

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

That Brother Stefan is NEW??

Wow, you got the big hosta hookup! Great pics, Gesila.

Don B.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

I really enjoyed your pictures, Gesila! That's a great new Brother Stefan. I love mine. That Majesty looks a bit like Liberty with a more narrow yellow margin. Does it look similar later in the season as well? I saw a lovely Empress Wu at Plant Delights this week that really got my attention. Can't wait to see yours when those incredible 19 eyes open up! St. Elmo's Fire is so pretty! I love the gold hostas in the spring as well.

This post was edited by lavendargrrl on Sun, May 11, 14 at 22:40

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Enjoyed all your wonderful pictures, Keep them coming!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Wow. They are so bright when they first unfurl. Your hosta a beautiful, as always.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Do I dare wonder if Liberty and Majesty are the same plant? Wider margins on Liberty, perhaps?

Just curious. Obviously they're both beautiful.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Gesila, what a treat to have you posting pictures. I am amazed at the Brother Stefan, it is so mature and perfect in every way. It makes me look at mine and wonder when it will get to growing. I mean, this is the third year after all. I'm already getting spoiled.

The Lemon Lime is another great little hosta, it is going all out there, so it deserves lots of recognition. I'm hoping all my smalls such as LL and Twist of Lime and Gold Drop and Tick Tock will fill up their pots this year so I can consider placing them in the ground next spring. Raised beds are the only way to go around here. I did not lose a one of the in ground hosta, although my DH sort of took out part of Winter Snow when he was weeding around it.

Your Empress Wu is only a YEAR in your garden and has so many eyes? Well, mine still has one eye, and one scape at this time. How much space did you leave for yours?

Glad you have good news to report, I've dreaded reading all the cold damage from this latest round of winter storms. And here I am putting up umbrellas for the new guys to keep them from sunburning. sigh.....

• Gesila
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's good to be back Babka. Yes, I did post a video of my gardens in 2012. The link is below. I'll be making a new one this year. I sure was on a buying spree. I think I ended up with 576 varieties. I've lost a few in the last two years, so I'm not sure how many I have. Just as I stopped buying, Moccasin started.

Don, that is Majesty, another sport of Sagae. I have another one, Ivory Coast, that is also a sport of Sage. Both Ivory Coast and Majesty look a lot like Liberty. I also have Forest Fire (formerly known as Clifford's Forest Fire) that is a sport of Sage. Forest Fire looks more like Sage to me.

I couldn't believe the size of that Brother Stefan. I already have one, but it's in the Maple tree root garden so it hasn't grown much. I couldn't pass this one up. I think I paid about $22 for it.

I'm really looking forward to this season. I've seen a huge leap in eye count. I have a feeling I'll be spending the summer relocating a few of them (Ken warned me this day would come!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Video of my Garden in 2012

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

They look wonderful! I can't wait for mine to begin to unfurl.