Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kadiekins_gw

Frost damage or HVX?

kadiekins
11 years ago

Could someone help me identify if this is HVX or could it be frost damage? This is on what I think is a Sum and Substance hosta. I'd never heard of HVX until I found this forum and now I'm very paranoid. Thanks for the help.

Kadie

Comments (12)

• kadiekins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whew, fits the timeline. Thank you so much!
    Kd

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Do you mean this picture? Copy the HTML link into the message box.

Yes, I'm sorry to say that looks like HVX to me. I'm sure it's not frost damage.

Steve

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Here's a comparison pic, I think it is self-explanatory.

Link below to some pics of HVX infected Hosta. Note there are 3 pages at top. None of these are tan.

Hope this helps.

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Sorry forgot the link.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: HVX Pics

• franknjim
    11 years ago

Looks like frost damage to me. It kind of gets the look of being paper. It looks the same as a Frances Williams with desiccation.

I have been looking at my hosta closely for awhile now due to the crazy temps and I had thought I made it through without any damage to anything. I found the frost damage on about a half dozen today. Nothing major but enough to notice.

• glosgarden
    11 years ago

It's frost damage.....not HVX

• kadiekins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate your responses. It does look just like the frost damage dry picture above. Thanks again. Kd

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Kd,

If this were my Hosta I would certainly test it. At the very least watch it closely. If you see additional "ink bleeding" like the leaf that you showed us on newer growth then you know it's not frost damage.

Just be careful with it.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: HVX Immunostrip tests

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Buying from known trusted sites is a good precaution for remaining HVX free, but there is no 100% guarantee in life or in hosta purchases.
    If a hosta is infected there is no danger of other hostas getting the virus except when leaves, roots or stems are cut.
    I would suggest that if tools used are scrubbed with Dawn detergent, alcohol or bleach as the AHS describes there is no chance of spreading the virus. To me this means scrubbing any shovel used in division with Dawn, bleach or alcohol and washing your hands (I would prefer Dawn) after any division. Pruning any hosta presents another problem as the disease could be spread to all the pruned plants after any cutting on a diseased plant. I would suggest a 2 bucket procedure that should work. After cutting any hosta with a pre-sterilized scissor or other tool dip it into a bucket of warm water with Dawn detergent and cleaning thoroughly the tool and your hands in the solution. Rinse in another bucket or a hose. Doing this will ensure that any virus that may exist is contained to the infected plant. When and if any plant shows signs of virus it then becomes a matter of killing off the hostas with Roundup or vinegar and isolating the site for some time. 2 or 3 years?
    As I understand the research the virus requires living hosta tissue to survive. Killing the plant seems to be the quickest (and only) way to kill the virus. In my opinion it seems digging up the infected hosta, even after killing it, seems to be a bad idea as leaving the roots and plant intact gives the virus no way to spread to other plants.
    Surely there is a better chance of picking up the virus from a "box" store than a known trusted source. The problem is that any "guarantee" of being virus free would be limited to the cost of the infected plant(s), at best, and potentially the disease could be spread throughout a large portion of a collection if not contained.
    I think simply using a simple decontamination technique is the surest way to prevent wiping out a good number of specimens. I think that no matter what the source simply disinfecting tools is only common sense, especially for those who have so much invested into their collections

• kadiekins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is not a new hosta, it has been in this location for about 5 years, but as I say, I'M new to hosta's and hadn't heard of HVX, so now I'm really watching the ones that I have. We just built a new home here and I was lucky enough to have some mature plants to fall in love with. I had been watching these as they came up, all looked healthy, then we had the cold spell with some frosty nights. I tried to cover what I could, but this plant is very large and difficult to cover. Not all the leaves were damaged, just a few of the larger leaves on top. The new leaves seem to be ok, but I will watch this plant closely and use precautions with it.

• glosgarden
    11 years ago

Kd, no need to use caution or be scared about this plant.
    It has frost damage not virus.