Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Hallson Gardens is Christmas in May...

don_in_colorado
9 years ago

...Or any other month you get product from them.

Frosted Jade
Brother Stefan
Blue Dolphin
and El Nino was the complimentary hosta sent by Chris.

Good stuff, kids! : )

What are YOU expecting from Hallson Gardens, or anywhere else you like to buy hostas?

Cheers,
Don B.

Comments (28)

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    9 years ago

My "Christmas" box from Hallson's arrived today!

2 plantaginea
    Sweet Innocence
    Fragrant Queen
    Touch of Class
    Autumn Frost
    and bonus High Society

Whoooopeeeee!

• jadie88
    9 years ago

How exciting! Can't wait for pics.

I told my husband I needed motivation to meet a big thesis deadline this weekend, so he proposed that I treat myself to a $100 Hallson's order if I finish on time. I married a good man, folks.

...of course the flaw in that plan is that now I just want to tinker with my wish list instead of working on my thesis. sigh...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No thesis, no hostas, Jadie.
    No thesis, no hostas, Jadie.

Wait, that's not as positive as I CAN be...

Thesis on time, 100 bucks on hostas!!
    Thesis on time, 100 bucks on hostas!!

Although I DO understand to urge to tinker...

Cram For Hostas! That's totally worth it!! (Since you really have to anyway, right?)
    Don B.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Hahaha! Great new mantra, there Don!

Seriously...you have no idea how much it helps to think of "the hosta spree at the end of the tunnel."

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

My Christmas came from Green Mountain today and I can't believe I have them all potted up already.

American Sweetheart
    Cherish
    Little Sunspot
    Love Pat
    Secret Love
    So Sweet
    Sun Power
    Sunlight Child
    Sunshine Glory
    Sweet Innocence
    Unforgettable
    Yesterdays Memories

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys got some really good ones...I see that some of your 'sun-themed' hostas got there, Jerry.

Don B.

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Yes Don, I got a start on the "sun" and have a lot more to go. I'll chip away at more as space and funds allow.

• woodnative
    9 years ago

I have never ordered from Hallson's but always hear good things about them. I wanted to comment on the fact that you ordered a 'Frosted Jade' Don. I don' t hear this Hosta mentioned much but I think it is a very good one. I have had it for years and I like the contrast of the big dark leaves and white edge.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Don, Congratulations!
    h.'Frosted Jade' is what I also will get once the ground thaws out at Land of the Giants. FJ will replace one of my 'Francees'. 'Brother Stefan' is a really good choice, I have one and love it, should get Hosta of the Year.
    'Blue Dolphin' looks good too on pictures, any large Blue is great!
    My Christmas will really take off once I see all of my hostas leaf out!
    Bernd

• User
    9 years ago

Oh I am so glad more folks have their new hosta to play with. It means more of you will be down off the porch, out of that rocking chair, no longer huddled beside the fire with a hosta finder 2014 edition on the lap.

More smiling faces. Dirty fingernails. Things are looking UP around here!

• dg
    9 years ago

I received my January prepaid order from Hallson Gardens in mid April. It was a birthday present to myself. Autumn Frost and El Nino are unfurling already. As many of us know, they send terrific plants with well developed root systems.

My order:

El Nino
    High Society
    Wily Willy
    Mayflower Moon
    Autumn Frost
    Minuteman
    Mighty Mouse
    Ripple Effect
    Justine (bonus)

Here is today's pic of El Nino.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    9 years ago

I have a big order coming from New Hampshire Hostas in early JUNE. I need time to build some new garden space.
    All that jazz
    Ann KULPA
    Atlantis
    Blazing saddles
    Blue mammoth
    Camelot
    Cutting edge
    Dawns early light
    Days end
    Fat cat
    Frosted jade
    Ice age trail
    KALEIDOCHROME
    Mango salsa
    Megan's angel
    Justine
    A many SPLENDORED thing free
    Dancing queen free
    Continental divide
    Blue cadet
    Hudson Bay
    Humpback whale
    Ice follies
    Jewel of the NILE
    June spirit
    Lederhosen
    LEMONTINI
    Linda sue
    MACK the knife
    Neptune
    Popcorn
    PRARIE sky
    Rhino hide
    Sharp dressed man
    So sweet
    Tears of joy
    Leading lady
    Tiny bubbles

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

thesis too shall pass ...

get him to watch the rug rats for a night too, and treat yourself to ... more time on your wish list ...

dave

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I received two orders Hallson's in April. One ordered back January pre-paid, and then more when some oldies bit the dust this year and freed up some space. Much better than Christmas!

Deja Blu
    Candy Dish
    Flamenco Mouse
    Half and Half
    Neptune
    Field Rat (bonus)

2nd shipment:
    Seducer
    Pineapple Upsidedown Cake
    Pineapple Punch
    Sweet Innocence
    L. Paisley Print
    Diamonds are Forever
    Regal Supreme
    Clifford's Stingray
    Island Breeze (bonus)

-Babka

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Ha! Bragu, I want "Thesis too shall pass" on a paperweight. Brilliant! And the rugrats are all his in the evenings...I like the way you think. :)

Sunnywood, what I wouldn't give to see that delivery! How exciting!

Babka, I'd love to see 'Regal Supreme' when it leafs out. Mine is a slip of a thing, so I need to see some future potential. :)

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

I have ordered twice from Hallson's, three times from Green Mountain and 2 from New Hampshire and just once from Glenbrook. My Green Mountain arrived today. All three of them. I got just over half done when it started to rain. I do have to say GM out did them selves this year. Prices are right and the sizes were huge.

Hallsons

Dancing Queen
    Key Lime Pie
    Queen of the Seas
    Half and Half
    Lakeside Paisley Print
    Mayflower Moon
    Sunny Disposition
    Elvis Lives

Green Mountain 1

Blue Diamond
    Chi-Town Classic
    Kabitan
    Lakeside Hoola Hoop
    Lakeside Coal Miner
    Lakeside Zinger
    Love Pat
    Lucy Vitols
    Winfield Blue
    Striptease
    Reptilian
    Rootin Tootin
    Dragon Tails
    Hacksaw
    Hi Ho Silver
    Sultana
    Undulata Medio Picta

Green Mountain 2

Zippity Doo Da
    Valentine Lace
    Red October
    Red Hot Poker
    Red Hot Flash
    First Mate
    Crested Surf
    Ice Prancer
    High Tide
    Nancy
    Popcorn
    The Razors Edge

Green Mountain 3

Bogie and Bacall
    Chantilly Lace
    Cherry Berry
    Chesapeake Bay
    Crested Surf
    Earth Angel
    Golden Scepter
    Restless Sea
    Salute
    Sea Fire
    Serendipity
    Sunlight Child

New Hampshire

Appletini
    Candy Dish
    Designer Genes
    Flemish Sky
    Fluted Fountain
    Julie Morss
    Little Miss Sunshine
    Paradise Island
    Squash Casserole
    Rubies and Ruffles
    Summer Lovin
    Ulysses S. Grant
    Yellow Boa
    Rocket's Red Glare
    Restless Sea
    A Many-splendored Thing

Glenbrook Farms

Mango Tango
    Ice Follies
    Kiwi Black Magic
    Stingray
    Lakeside Surf Rider
    Glory
    Beckoning
    Lakeside Meter Maid
    Lakeside Rhapsody

New Hampshire 2

Christmas Pageant
    Rich Uncle
    Blue Boy
    Princess Anastasia
    Lunar Orbit
    Fruit Punch
    Autumn Frost

Hallson's 2

Dancing Queen
    Neptune
    Justine
    Marilyn Monroe
    Sky Dancer

I have no room. I knew this last year. Just needed a few more for this years alphabet. Got to be ready. Way better than Christmas and the Forth of July combined. Paula

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I love to grow- You have a bigger problem than I do. ((Eyes rolling) Mores stadium seating? Well when they are small they don't take much room and then when they mature you get to pick which ones to keep. So many new ones come out each year. Tough decisions.

-Babka

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Those are some long lists of new hosta! I've ordered from Hallson and Naylor Creek, and am more than satisfied with the hosta. But there is something about spending a day driving around visiting local vendors, actually looking and feeling, and deciding what I want. The heart beats faster, breathing deeper, smile on my face what is that feeling?? Oh yeah, hostaholic addiction!

I want to see pics of all these new hosta!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Wow, I have just been royally intimidated!!! I think I'll post my little lists as one list halfway through the summer! ( a big LOL )

Paula, I believe you just started a brand new alphabet with your new list! Wow! "Just a few more". I love your definition of "few" - that word is hosta-speak without a doubt!

All these orders contain such intriguing names of hostas that I'll be quite busy looking them up. It sure is easy to get caught up in all your excitement. Thanks!

Jo

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

Jo - Few = less than 100.

Babka I will be going for more stadium seating. I have started to raise everything and I loving it. I have brought in so much concrete block that one of the neighbors asked what my son and I were doing in the back yard. Building a bunker said my son. Later in the day the neighbor asked how we were handling the water as our water table is about 0.

hostahosta last count I have picked up 24 from local dealers LOL. I like to keep the local economy going. I like the thrill of the hunt too. Have a great day all. Paula

• User
    9 years ago

Paula, way to go, girl! I see now why they cannot answer phone calls or ship for another two weeks, at some places anyway. I don't see Plant Delights on your supply list, they have some great hosta too. I have a second order in with them for just 2 hosta. Not that you'd notice, but I'm becoming more selective these days.....now that I see how BIG/HUGE/AWESOME some of these hosta are getting in a mere 3 growing seasons, with this 3d season only just begun.

Love to see it. I knew you were quiet for a long time. Now POW, out you come with a flourish! EVERYBODY enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: We've Only Just Begun...so many to choose

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Aw Don, The Carpenters - so apropos! The content was withdrawn by owner but the song is in my head. :-)

• User
    9 years ago

Ummm, Jo, I do not see a Don post with the Carpenters, but mine was not withdrawn by owner...it plays if you click the link. Perhaps you have to enable something to visit YouTube?
    Try it again. Karen is performing it.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We've only just beguuuun...

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Yeah, welcome to the game, Don! Who do we have there?

Ilovetogrow, consider me blown away! When can we see some 2014 photos of your already fab and still growing collection?

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is a 'Remember Me'.

Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

From naylor creek

June
    Broad band
    Moon dance
    Princess amalie

From land of the giants

Bridal falls
    Dark shadows
    Dancing queen

• esther_b
    9 years ago

I'm still waiting on my small orders of Blue Jay and heuchie Sweet Tart from Inthecountry and of Cameo and heuchie Ginger Snap from Casita Azul. Wah! I want my plants!

There is no forecast of any frost for the next 2 weeks here in Queens, so I went ahead and did some tension-relieving buying annuals and planting them Friday before the Sabbath (yay, it starts much later now with going back to regular time!). I planted a beautiful coleus with burgundy, yellow and green with a bright yellow tuberous begonia (4/$10 annuals sale at Home Depot!) and a light purple calibrachoa in the blizzard white pot that is the background for the wire Garden Cat. I planted the remaining coleus plants along the border of the Neighbor's Plot, alternating with mixed pink/purple/yellow petunias and mixed pastel alyssum. I put in a couple 6-packs of fuschia, yellow, and lavender mini snapdragons in my main garden. Finally, I planted the sedum Angelina in the pockets of my big glazed strawberry pot and a nice purple-flowering Delosperma cooperii in the top of it. It's an experiment. I never put succulents in my strawberry pot before. Are they perennial?

I saw today that the Darned Squirrels dug out 2 of my mini-snaps, they were laying out on the ground! Due to the restrictions of the Sabbath, I could not instantly replant them. I will do so on Sunday. We are supposed to get some overnight showers which will hopefully sustain the mini-snaps until I can replant them. And I PUT red pepper flakes, which nearly blinded ME, all around that garden when I planted stuff Friday. Argh!