Help me with my latest project!

TNChristine
9 years ago

It's a dogwood tree.

Comments (10)

• TNChristine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Which plants should I use and how should I place them? Here are the plants I have.
    3 Liberty
    3 Golden Tiara
    1 Zounds
    1 Hope

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

really????

lets get this straight. ...

i see a post in the right margin ... tie a ten foot string to the tree, or whatever it is to the post ...

... make a perfect arc ... destroy all the grass ...

install your measly FOUR!!!! HOSTA .. THROW OUT THE DUPLICATES .. lol ... plant the 4 .. and go buy 10 more hosta ... and fill the rest of the space...

really now.. where do you think you are posting.. the perennial forum??? .. a triangle of 3 is Gods word to the world ???? ..

i dont think so.. more is better [we only count names] .. duplicates are for the neighbors...not for the hardcore.. and i think you are on the edge.. as you are hanging here .. with us ....

get with the program ... rotflmbo .... [and it aint pretty] ....

ken

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Oh, my God, just ignore Ken, he is always like that. I was horrified as I read his response.

Let's try again.

Welcome to the forum! The Liberty will get pretty big for that area, I'd say you can either extend the bed and make it bigger or you may have to find another place for the Libertys. The bed really does need to be much bigger to put anything other than small hosta in there. You'll have more fun, if you extend the bed!

I'd say your first step is to research each and how big they will be when mature. Listen to the mature widths, especially, as they really will get that big! Put the tall ones at the back and the short ones at the front, generally speaking. Not sure how much experience you have with gardening, so my apologies if I'm being too 101. The main rule in arranging is arrange them as it pleases you, this is your garden! Bigger in the back will allow you to see everyone, though. You may want to think about mixing some companion plants in with the hostas. There is a great thread on companions to hostas below. Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Companion/Accent Plantings for the Hosta Garden (pic heavy)

This post was edited by funnthsun on Sun, May 25, 14 at 22:20

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

You can plant your hosta there, but keep in mind you will have to move them as they get larger.

Welcome to the forum
    Beverly

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Be nice Ken! You scare people that don't catch your humour. His bark is louder then his bite, so don't let him scare you off.
    Welcome to the forum and soon you will be wanting more spaces and adding on for loads more hosta. Liberty are large so should be in the back and then arrange how you thinks it looks good and move them later if you don't care for the arrangement. They move easily
    Faye.

• User
    9 years ago

Ken, you must have read Diane Keaton's book. I have it on audio version, she reads the book herself. That's the second time you've mentioned "it ain't pretty" which is why I think you may be familiar with it. (thong was the first).....hehehehehhe

Well, I'm glad you said it, because my eyes were bugging out. I thought maybe the hosta chosen were all miniature or smalls. TNC, you have been saved from a terrible heart attack when your hosta explode in the spring two years from now. Ask me how I know. :)

So welcome to the forum. Ken is serious about taking a 10 foot string and drawing an arc in that corner. The hosta you have will end up making your dogwood disappear except for the limbs up top. Or almost.

Google the names of each hosta and you can identify the posts related to them, read the ones you wish, and learn what happens to each plant in or near your zone. We have a few folks growing hosta in TX, so you should find something helpful about the eventual size of each hosta. Don't read the promo card, but read how big it becomes in your growing zone. What to watch for in your zone.

I'm in zone 9a. It is interesting to me that more high zone folks are becoming interested in hosta. That is great! Hosta are on the move, and the direction is south! I always knew the hosta had a game plan for climate change. :)

• TNChristine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey folks! I enjoyed reading all your replies! And Ken does not scare me he can bark all he wants. So I only used a 4.5 ft string in that corner. Sheesh what do ya want from an almost 50 year old grandma. The longer string will come out soon enough. We'll say this is a test for this area. I'll put a few in and make sure they don't fry in the TN heat this summer. If they do well then we'll see. I am limited on the right side due to the back yard gate. But I may be digging a nice wide border along the left side pickets next fall. I know my area is small and the Liberty have to be moved. That's what 28 year old sons are for! Thanks for the welcome everyone. I think Ken may be right about me being on the edge! LOL

This post was edited by TNChristine on Mon, May 26, 14 at 10:37

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Christine, I was trying to find a definition of a "very large" hosta. I had no luck finding it.

A mature Liberty in the cold country would be about 39" tall. I did find that the Liberty that was first registered had 9 1/2 inch leaves. Although I grow in pots, my hosta are 1 1/2 to 2 times wider than they are tall. So a given mature Liberty should be 60 inches to 80 inches wide. Yours will be somewhat smaller because you are in Tennessee. (They grow larger in Minnesota than in the South.)

On your side, Liberty is not a fast grower. Those Golden Tiaras are fast growers, though. I don't think the Tiaras are finicky, so may not mind being moved. Before you are committed to planting the Liberty and worrying about it later, you might post a question about how Liberty reacts to moving. Some hosta don't like to be moved. I'm sorry, I don't have Liberty, so know nothing about it.

You might consider potting some of them up. The photos I saw from the convention gardens in TN had lots of potted hosta in them.

bk

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I can't speak to any on your list except Liberty and my own is finally (after 4+ years) reaching its maturity. It puts Krossa Regal to shame size-wise which suggests (to me anyway) your garden space would be vastly inadequate for Liberty x 3.

Just looking at the bed in your photo leads me to compare it to my own hosta/shade bed under a mature crabapple tree only slightly larger than your dogwood: the amount of space allocated to the bed is not sufficiently adequate to support all of the plants in your design.

Is it possible to extend the bed to the left in the photo and curve it along the fence? Will the dogwood provide sufficient shade to sustain other shade-perennials in addition to hosta? My Crabapple Corner bed includes assorted coral bells, stokesia, turtlehead, astilbe, daylilies, euonymus, dianthus, toad lily, Japanese forest grass, & columbine. The tree shades them until mid-afternoon.

Take it from a 65-year-old grandma, moving Liberty once it reaches maturity is not something to anticipate, let alone moving more than one of them.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

Welcome. Be careful we enable. Paula

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living