Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

Just Hostas 1

mctavish6
11 years ago

I've been taking pictures again.... Here is the first part of a series of the whole picture being hosta. They are either cropped or taken close up with interesting light and water. Hope you enjoy them.

Comments (24)

• andi_mn
    11 years ago

love, love, love your pictures.

• Gesila
    11 years ago

I really like the shot of Ming Jade. Very interesting and unique perspective!

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Your photos are absolutely fascinating. My favourites are 'Arc de Triomphe' and 'Philadelphia', but every one is a masterpiece. What a creative eye you have. Thank you for sharing your vision.
    Jan

• donna_in_sask
    11 years ago

Beautiful photography! My favourites are the first and last.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Thanks, I really enjoyed your show!

bkay

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Beautiful McT.

Paul

• Cindy
    11 years ago

Oh my, Arc de Triomphe! Wow!

• alexis717_df
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful pictures. I bet they would look fabulous blown up and mounted on the wall.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Damn, you are good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Babka

• veryblessed
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures, what camera/lens are you using?
    Thanks,
    James

• mbug_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful plants and photography!!

• Wendys_garden
    11 years ago

McTavish, your photos are breathtaking! I always enjoy your photographs, and this is above and beyond! Stunning.

Wendy

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Myrle - I have pictured my living room decorated with a huge 3' x 4' painting of a hosta leaf hanging on it as a piece of art. Your Sky Dancer photo sets the standard for anything I might want framed on my wall. Absolutely gorgeous: works of art with a camera. My sincerest compliments.

Les

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    11 years ago

Inspiring as always! At first I thought, ahh, I'm not into the close-ups, but WOW! That Ming Jade is so interesting. Love the bright white on Patriot, and the drops of water on Cold Heart. You're the one who also got me to appreciate the beauty of the fall colors on hosta.

• tomahawkclaim
    11 years ago

Stunning! Nance

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

sublime ....

and will you do a post on your panorama vista.. again ...

ken

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Beautiful,as always Myrle! And BTW,welcome back! We have missed you. Phil

• alyciaadamo
    11 years ago

It's your pictures that have made me want half the hostas that are in my yard! Beautiful!

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    11 years ago

I think that the pic of Arc de Triomphe could win a prize. What a brilliant blending of nature, art, and metaphor. By focusing on the underside of the leaf and the veins, you show us that this hosta is built like a medieval cathedral, with vaulted arches. Take a look at pics of the the ceiling of the cathedral at Chartres or any other Gothic cathedral. Same thing. Arc de Triomphe says it all.

Steve

• hostasformez4
    11 years ago

Myrle, What a gifted individual you are!!!! I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks and on a whim I decided to visit today. What a treat to see your wonderful hosta pictures.

I have had heel surgery and am unable to put weight on my foot for 6 weeks so not much gardening for me this summer. After that a cast for 6 weeks and then I'll be done and free of pain. That means no driving for 3 months so I am house bound.

I haven't been out to walk through my garden for 2 1/2 weeks and it will be some time till I can again. Can just look out my windows so I am missing a lot.

Will check in to see your next additions to the forum.

Connie

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    11 years ago

Thought I would show you what I mean by vaulted arches, as in H. Arc de Triomphe. Here is an example from Kings College Chapel in Cambridge, England. See how McT's photo captures this idea.

Steve

• hostamo
    11 years ago

Thanks for the amazing photos... really brightened my day

• mctavish6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all again. I'm so glad you enjoyed them.

James, I don't have a camera lens other than what is on a Canon Power Shot sx210is. I'm very amateur when it comes to photography. Fortunately the camera does all the work. I just provide the material to shoot and somewhat of an eye for composition.

Ken, I'll post some view shots in a bit. I took some yesterday and haven't looked at them yet.

Glad to be back Phil, at least when it's raining. We are just into spring here. On Stage is only half open for example. I still have SO much to do. I've moved 100 plants so far. That's what I get for putting them too close together in the first place but then, I don't much like space between and have no patience to wait for the full look.

alyciaadamo, Most of the hostas I have were gotten as a result of pictures of the plants belonging to people on this forum. You see something and know you have to have it. Last year a late addition to one of my orders was Lakeside Prophecy. Someone posted a great picture here. Fortunately Sebright had it and the plant was wonderful from the beginning.

Steve, how very interesting. The cathedral picture does have the feeling of Arc de Triomphe. Good eye.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

And here I come along belatedly--but handing you the Georgia O'Keefe of the Hosta World Award! Impressive, to say the least.

Kate