Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
netcub_gw

Need Advice - Best Vase Shaped Hostas

netcub
10 years ago

Ive got room for 3 large Hostas Near the back of my Hosta Bed. They will all be in the shade, But Id kind of like something to brighten up the back of the bed... Im looking for suggestions for 3 vase shaped hostas that would serve this purpose. There is quite a bit of SNOW ON THE MOUNTAIN, (Aegopodium) growing there, so i need something to sort of grow above that...

Thanks!

Comments (29)

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

I personally love Sagae, Liberty, and Komodo Dragon. On my wish list are Krossa Regal and Seducer (upright, not sure how vase-shaped it is).

Post a pic when you have them in!

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

If you are looking for a gold, try Gold Regal, an oldie but still a great plant. If you want a variegated type try Regal Supreme. It's like Regal Splendor with a wider white margin. Krossa Regal is a great vase shaped blue. For green try Rascal, it's similar to Gold Regal but has a lime green hue.

Steve

• esox48
    10 years ago

I've often jokingly said that Regal Splendor is the answer to most hosta questions, including this one

But since you are looking for three hostas, Sun Power is the answer to all other hosta questions, so get two Sun Powers.

Regal Splendor in the center of two Sun Powers would be probably make you unique in the world, and that would be quite a display.

• flowerchild59
    10 years ago

Depends on the color you need there. I like Alex Summers and gold regal, golden sculpture, krossa regal, sagae and so many more.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Abba Dabba Do' and 'Atlantis' are pretty good, too.

Don B.

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

I don't consider Abba Dabba Do as upright.... it's tall, but certainly not upright in my garden.

I'd go with Regal Splendor or Krossa Regal for very upright very tall hosta.

Golden Sculpture is great.

Victory is amazing.

Seducer is great.... just a little young for me to know HOW great.

American Sweetheart has a unique upright shape.

Also look at American Icon

• chris-e
    10 years ago

I'd like to suggest Key Lime Pie and Lakeside Rocky Top and Spring Fling.They grow well get pretty large and are beautiful.

chris

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Krossa Regal and montana Aureomarginata are fast growing and vase-shaped.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

I have Krossa Regal, Regal Splendor, Sagae and Liberty. For purely stunning variegation I would have to choose Sagae or the very similar Liberty, which is still very young in my garden.

I have to say however that 3 of those would be too busy for what you have said. I would go with one of them in the middle flanked with Krossa Regal and Regal Splender or one of the other KR family like those Steve has named like Regal Supreme,

The bluish green/grey of the KR family is very compatible with the bluish green of the Sagae/Liberty. The leaf shape of both the Sagae and KR families are similar, rather pointed and wavy, but the Sagae family have much larger leaves. Another reason to use them in the center flanked by KR family members.

Check them out in HL.

Theresa

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

I have Krossa Regal, Regal Splendor, Sagae and Liberty. For purely stunning variegation I would have to choose Sagae or the very similar Liberty, which is still very young in my garden.

I have to say however that 3 of those would be too busy for what you have said. I would go with one of them in the middle flanked with Krossa Regal and Regal Splender or one of the other KR family like those Steve has named like Regal Supreme,

The bluish green/grey of the KR family is very compatible with the bluish green of the Sagae/Liberty. The leaf shape of both the Sagae and KR families are similar, rather pointed and wavy, but the Sagae family have much larger leaves. Another reason to use them in the center flanked by KR family members.

Check them out in HL.

Theresa

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

How can I delete a double posting? Sorry about that.

Theresa

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Mine is new, so I haven't seen a mature one, but I really like the color of Key West. Right now, it's about the color of S&S. It's supposed to be very large and it is upright. It would really brighten up any spot.

bk

• User
    10 years ago

Yep, can see that I NEED a Key West SOON.
    Getting deep into Olga more every day.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Krossa Regal by far here.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Harry, I love the arrangement that you have chosen, looks great.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

'Krossa Regal'

• Eleven
    10 years ago

'Queen of the Seas'

• Eleven
    10 years ago

'Sagae'

• Eleven
    10 years ago

'Grand Canyon' has a vase shape but is acting droopy this year.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Another 'Krossa Regal'

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I love the look of Krossa Regal and it grows quickly to a decent size but then again there are soooo many other that are so nice too

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I have a pic that I can offer (not many mature ones yet) of Krossa Regal.

• mr_gary
    10 years ago

Elatior, Krossa Regal, Sagas or if you patient Liberty would be my choice. I can picture Elatior with Sagae. This is my 2 year old Elatior from above so you really can't see how vased it is but it gets very tall with very large deep green leaves.

• mr_gary
    10 years ago

Elatior, Krossa Regal, Sagas or if you patient Liberty would be my choice. I can picture Elatior with Sagae. This is my 2 year old Elatior from above so you really can't see how vased it is but it gets very tall with very large deep green leaves.

{{!gwi}}

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I must admit, Gary, you're absolutely right, I REALLY can't see how vased it is. : )

Don B.

• flowerchild59
    10 years ago

Alex summers and gold regal are both nice. And I love lakeside ripples and it is a fast grower too.

• flowerchild59
    10 years ago

Alex summers and gold regal are both nice. And I love lakeside ripples and it is a fast grower too.

• netcub
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, tons of suggestions, I want All of them!

Sams club has some 3 or 5 gallon Krossa Regals. I may peek at them this morning...

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

How about nigrescens or Tenryu. I took an eye off my nigrescens a year ago last summer and put it into a new garden. The first picture is that plant and the picture was taken last night.
    The second and third picture is of Tenryu, which looks quite a bit like nigrescens.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida