Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serenitycove_gw

Cory's Hostas

serenitycove
9 years ago

I buy most of my hostas from Wade and Gatton but coming home from vacation today we decided to take a detour and check out Cory's Hostas in Chillicothe, Ohio.
He didn't have the ones high on my list I wanted but came away with 8 anyway. Well.....I could have bought a lot more but we had to put all our luggage on the back seat to have room for the hostas.
Still debating if I should make a trip to Wade and Gatton. Eight is barely enough for one year but if I go I have to make the trip worthwhile and fill the car. What to do!!??

Earth Angel
Lakeside Shoremaster
Lakeside Kaleidoscope
Blue Jay
Lil Abner
Cracker Crumbs
Appletini
Mighty Mouse

{{!gwi}}

Comments (17)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Niiiice...Heh heh heh, well, if you have any room at all...Heh heh heh do it! : )

Don B.

• serenitycove
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, I don't think my photo showed up.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I have a few from Wade and Gatton,too. The only bad thing about them is,they charge by the eye. If you get a hosta that is any size,it'll cost you a fortune. I prefer my local nursery,where they charge by the pot no matter how many eyes there are. Phil

• serenitycove
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's the only thing I don't like about them but I live in an area that just doesn't have a big variety. I stick to the ones with two eyes and just try to have patience:(
    I bought from box stores until I picked one up that had a virus so I avoid those places now. I just haven't got into ordering through the mail. I like to see what I'm getting.

• hostasmith
    9 years ago

Those are some nice $10 hostas. I am planning a trip over there with my grandfather, it's a little more than a three hour drive one way. I am going to make it worth the drive, I have a list as long as my arm. Sounds like he lost quite a few this winter, especially the minis.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Cory's is always a good trip. He doesn't have the inventory or sizes he had in past due the bad winter. I've been there twice so far this year and have come away with plenty of good ones. My last trip I focused on getting some small hostas and he dug up some good ones for me. I got Twist of Lime, Tick Tock, Lakeside Baby Face, Feather Boa. Also found Fujibotan of good size. Might be there again soon as my Mom has decided she wants a few peonies. His peonies are amazing! Too bad I don't have any sun for them.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

The only place you can get Cory's Sweetheart is a Cory's. How is he doing? His web-site says he's no longer doing garden tours. I plan on stopping there this summer:

Gesila

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

He will be 87 this August. He no longer digs out on the hills, just from his beds nearer the house. Going strong, but he lets you know when he's ready for a breather now! I only hope I can do that when I get to his age.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Wade and Gatton charge by the eye?? Wow, no kidding Phil, that'd get extremely expensive very quickly!

Don B.

• serenitycove
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He was out working when I got there. He showed me around and I regret not taking the time to take pictures of his peony's in bloom. Gorgeous!
    I'm surprised he didn't mention Cory's Sweetheart. I was very limited on time having been on the road since six a.m. and still having several hours to go I didn't take the time I would have liked. He was out of the ones I really wanted like Niagara Falls and Manhattan.
    He said he has Empress Wu but I'm not sure I really want one that takes that much room.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I'm surprised he didn't mention Cory's Sweetheart or Cory's Beauty. I have both, but just moved my Cory's Beauty and it's still taped up. I never knew about either one of them, he mentioned both to me and I couldn't turn him down :)

I remembered he had Cory's Sweetheart near the beds by the house that he digs out of. We walked up and down the hills looking for Nancy Gill, I was so glad we found it!

I created a new garden this spring and called it "Cory's Garden". Most of the hostas that are in it came from his garden. It's where I moved Cory's Beauty to. It will remind me of a wonderful trip with my youngest son and the day we walked up and down those hills with Robert.

Gesila

• serenitycove
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gesila......you need to post a picture of your Corys Garden.

Don in Colorado....You get two eyes for the price listed in their catalog. You do have to pay for each eye over two. I just buy the ones with two eyes. Their hostas have done very well for me and I have not lost one hosta I got from them even with the harsh winter we had.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Oh, OK. Thanks, Serenitycove. Good to know. that's not so bad; I've gotten two-eyed plants from many a vendor. They could easily double/triple or more in eyes the next season. I'm fine with that.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Wed, May 28, 14 at 21:55

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

That's a beautiful hosta, Gesila!

Serenity Cove, I just throw out the luggage and keep buying the hostas!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Who needs luggage? You have more clothes at home, right?

Don B.

Good observation, Mary! : )

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Yeah Don,I was there a few years ago,and they definitely counted every eye. Needless to say,I didn't buy any really large potfulls! Phil

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

so, someone could have held mighty mouse and appletini, and you would have had room for two more ... sounds like carpy planning to me!

LOL

dkB