Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

The perfect companion, and the perfect moment

June Fever and Peacock Spikemoss, a match made in heaven...

Comments (14)

• TNChristine
    9 years ago

Peacock Spikemoss... what an interesting plant. I haven't seen that around here. Gorgeous picture, thanks!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Wow! Now that IS a perfect match in colour. The bold and the gold. The contrast in textures is so lovely! Well done and an artist's eye to boot.

I LIKE this so much.

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Peacock Spikemoss on the wish list now....BEAUTIFUL!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

They do look perfect together! I have never heard of Peacock Spike Moss. I will have to google that.

Linda

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

It's called echo gardening when plants are different but share the same colors. Very pretty!

DD

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Great eye to spot that shot. Get it framed!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Lovely.

-Babka

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, guys. I planted these near each other because of the colors, of course and have been wanting to take a pic of them. I was thrilled when I saw that the lighting ended up being perfect when I took the pic. The planets aligned for me, for just a moment :)

• santamiller
    9 years ago

I'm not familiar with peacock spikemoss either but I see it does well in my zone. I'm going to see if I can find some of that. What are your lighting conditions in that spot?

Gorgeous picture!

Original Author
    9 years ago

It's in bright shade. It doesn't care for any sun at all.

The zone is not very expansive on this moss, but, despite what you read, I have heard that it could take zone 5 with plenty of winter mulch, fyi for anyone thinking about it in the colder regions.

This post was edited by funnthsun on Mon, May 26, 14 at 9:02

• User
    9 years ago

I wonder what the June family will look like near this moss? I think it is lovely. Not sure, but I may have run across it at Lowes where they have some "Angela's Exotics". I'll check for it locally. Shade is precious and hard to come by around these parts.

Thanks for a treat, Funn.

• User
    9 years ago

I thought I had it, and once upon a time I did. It is available (or it was) from Plant Delights Nursery. Is that where you found it originally, Funn?

Selaginella uncinata (Peacock Spikemoss)

Just google either term and HOW TO CARE for it is included in the hits. I may be on the edge of its hardiness.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Mocc- you are in a very good place to grow this. Lookie here:

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Peacock Spike Moss

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep, that's where I got it, Plant Delights--looks like they're sold out right now. You guys know I live there! Can't stay away from that place. You do have to be careful with what you buy there, though b/c you can easily get something that is hard to grow and not for the beginner or even moderate-level gardener--you have to know what you're buying. Impulse buying there could easily mean that you just flushed a $20! Luckily, the staff is super knowledgeable when you have to ask questions. They have so many plants that I've never seen anywhere else, though, so I love them. I would much rather go somewhere that challenges me as a gardener instead of walking through going, "yep, pansies, yep, petunias, yep annual geraniums..." and then slipping into the boredom coma. You guys know what I mean.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022