Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Interesting Leaf on 'Fragrant Bouquet'

don_in_colorado
9 years ago

Sorry about the pic quality, taken with my phone. Still, pretty cool.

Cheers,
Don B.

Comments (10)

• tepelus
    9 years ago

That is pretty cool.

Karen

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

I like it. The green portion kind of looks like a funky, rocker-hair-do wig.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

The softest green and cream combination ever - muted and lovely. Only one leaf like that one? Hope it decides to transform another so at least one eye? That would be amazing! :-)

Jo

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup, Jo, just the single leaf. I only wish it would favor me with an actual whole eye like this leaf.

BUT, a false sense of hope is better than NO sense of hope, right? ; ) Maybe someday...

EDIT: The color is a bit off since my phone makes a poor camera, but 'green and cream' is still fair to say. It's got the typical FB spring colors, which I find very pretty. I'll get a real pic of it tomorrow.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, May 22, 14 at 22:39

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

Don, enjoy it for what it is right now and do NOT be tempted to do anything about the sporting until you see clear indication -possibly next year- that there's actual one complete shoot that is sporting, at which point rossizing would be in order.

I noticed one of my 'Hyacinthina's started to show edge variegation 3 years ago. I just let it be and this year it looks as if there is one complete shoot that is sporting -as if we need yet another 'Hyacinthina' sport- and I'll leave that develop for the rest of the year and worry about removing it next year. My preference is with making sure I have a good, healthy shoot and root system that is sporting before I begin to try and have it grow on it's own.

Pieter

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

what a carpy phone!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't worry, Pieter, I'm not going to do ANYthing with it, except water it. I'm not tempted to mess with it at all. I know that's not a sport, just a really cool individual leaf. I'll just let it be and see if anything ever happens. Which is basically what I do with all my plants. I'm not going to rip apart a beautiful 'Fragrant Bouquet' that's just now getting a mature look to it. : )

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

It's always an added bonus when a hosta throws a curve at us, as with this leaf. It's not enough that we are so entranced by them...they come up with a leaf like this and spin us further into the web!

Just today one of my unfurling newbies from last year is showing streaks for heavens sake where there were none! Each day there is something new ...x multiply that by whatever # of hosta you have! Mind boggling, isn't it?

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup. Exactly, Jo. Their unstable DNA is just one more reason we LOVE hostas.

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I have a sport right in the middle of my Paradise Power,but I would almost have to destroy the whole plant to get it out,and it is a mature plant. Of course,this year it is'Paradise Lost'! I always like to find a different leaf,or even a sport in one of my hostas. I have another sport in another of my Gold Standards,also,but it.too is in the middle of the plant. Phil