Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Unbelievable! Blue Cadet rises from "landscape workers" grave!

esther_b
9 years ago

While I was talking to my neighbor this afternoon (he is the son of my handicapped neighbor, who lives with her), he told me to look behind myself. I did, and was absolutely shocked. Remember I said I could not remove my second Blue Cadet from the hosta-garden-under-the-tree garden last year because I could not find it among all the mulch and stuff during the night when I had to dig up my garden to save the hostas & heuchies before they plowed it under?

The missing Blue Cadet was pipping about 6 or more eyes in the oval scar where the garden once stood! I immediately ran inside to grab my shovel to transplant it to in front of my neighbor's Obligatory Bushes before the "landscape workers" mowed the lawn and destroyed the Blue Cadet. I figured if it survived all of THAT which went on last summer, it certainly deserved to live. I dug a nice hole in my neighbor's garden, front and center, and then liberally took amended soil from around the Blue Cadet in my lawn. After all, it was I who put that good topsoil there, so I felt I had a right to as much as I wanted to take. I placed the dug-up Blue Cadet into the hole I dug and tucked in plenty of my amended soil around it. Then I scraped the displaced grass and soil back into the hole where the Blue Cadet had been in my lawn.

"It was squirrels who dug that hole in the lawn. Squirrels."

The neighbor's son and I are planning to visit Home Depot Friday after we come home from work and stock up on the 4/$10 beautiful annuals they have, as a Mother's Day surprise for his mother. We will dig out the contractor fill garbage and dump about 3 bags of good topsoil in his garden to properly support the new plants. His mom can admire our handiwork from her wheelchair on her ramp. She will be surprised!

Have shovel, will travel.

Comments (6)

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

The battle is joined once more.

"You have come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What would you do without freedom? Will you fight? ...

Aye, fight and you may die. Run and you'll live -- at least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our Hosta!!!"

This post was edited by steve_mass on Mon, May 5, 14 at 21:43

• User
    9 years ago

A great story, Esther.

Steve, where did you find that neat quote? Well done!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Amen.

bk

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

I love a good hosta rescue story! Even though they're tough, sometimes they need a helping hand. Good thing your neighbor spotted it, and you were able to dig it up and move it before the pips got mowed down.

That's a nice thing you're doing to help beautify the area for his mother to enjoy.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I must have missed your post where you lost your garden space. So sorry to hear about that Esther. I know you put a lot of hard work into it. Glad you found new homes for all your hostas.

Blue Cadet is a toughie. I think mine are going to be pretty big this year.

Gesila

• esther_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GESILA: It was last summer that I reported a dead tree in the middle of my hosta garden under that tree. The cretinous management, rather than just removing the dead tree and planting the new, more appropriate tree I was going to get free from a NYC tree giveaway, told me to remove my plants from under the tree, they were going to plow under the garden. I removed all the hostas and heuchies frantically during the night, but I knew I was missing one Blue Cadet. And this one that just pipped in the middle of the oval scar in the lawn was the missing Blue Cadet, which I was able to save due to the sharp eye of my neighbor.

Fortunately (!!!) I did not lose my primary garden space---I just enlarged it also during the night to accommodate its new denizens, the refugees from the under the tree garden. And then I enlarged it a second time a couple weeks ago, to accommodate my new rose bush and new hostas. Take THAT, you co-op manager idiot!