Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_opal

Clay soil

esther_opal
15 years ago

I've posted many times about the area between my house and garage that was clay, I mean red clay. I planted in a minimal hole mulched and walked away.

Here is a photo of the soil cut away to show the organic matter moving down from the surface changing the clay from red to a brown (red is the bottom), didn't dig deep enough to get to completely red clay.

Clay is your friend if you add organic matter to the surface.

Comments (8)

• jbranch
    15 years ago

Well I am glad that clay is my friend because a have a lot of it in my yard. I remember first planting hosta about 10 years ago in a new bed along my driveway. The clay was damp that day and my shoes were getting stuck in it, it was so thick. Over the years leaves from trees have fallen in that area over the winter and I mulch them instead of removing them and I think the soil is doing what EO is showing. Hostas seem to love it.

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jo the clay we have in In is the same deposit as yours. It will of course be slightly different and vary from spot to spot but look at all that grows between In and Al.

Here are a couple of photos of plants you can't jump over grown in this clay between the house and garage.

{{gwi:284858}}

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

I agree with you 100%,Butch! My red clay has been amended by falling leaves(I live in the woods),for years. Even though all soil in this area of western NC is red clay,the soil in my woodland garden is really more of a brown color,and boy does any kind of vegetation grow in it! My hostas are not amended,unless you consider mulch, amending. I don't always re-mulch every year,but sometimes I add a little to areas that wash away,due to being on the side of a hill. Red clay is great,but don't try to dig in it if it has been in the blazing sun! It is then like concrete! Phil

• nchostaqueen
    15 years ago

My dear friend and neighbor, here in Cleveland Ohio area, just digs a hole in our clay, which is grayish, and in the Hosta goes and they just thrive. She also has a secret, she waters them with a little beer now and then too.

Deb

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beer has sugar that feeds the soil organisms which makes the plant grow.

I offer it helps to mulch clay to keep the moisture up and allow the soil organisms to change the clay, break it up that helps the process.

The photo is of clay that has been mulched and you can see it change the color which is organic matter build up separating the little clay particles. They are like little stacked bricks and the organic matter separates those bricks that make it hard when dry.

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"I offer it helps to mulch clay to keep the moisture up and allow the soil organisms to change the clay, break it up that helps the process."
    esther_opal

I didn't mean to say break up the clay, when you break up clay manually it just settles right back, no advantage.

• nchostaqueen
    15 years ago

Then I say....more beer for better Hosta and a little for the gardener too....

Deb

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Make mine Belgium Ale. Delirium Tremins is a good one.