Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this HVX Part Deux?

Posted by buckeye15 No OH (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 21:15

What do you all think? This is a different plant with a different history than the Cynthia I showed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this HVX Part Deux?

Not falling for that again. This plant obviously suffers from something interesting and exotic that we have yet to learn about!!!
Jan

o

Looks like some kind of mosaic virus.

Steve

o

Since I have never seen what I consider evidence of thrips munching on hostas,that is about what I would expect it might look like.

But I've also seen photos of mosaic virus infected hostas, and it is similar if my memory serves me well. My notebook with the pics in it is at home and I am rehabbing at my daughters house.

As Jan isn't "falling for that again", I have to back her up. I suspect you are pretty well aware what it is. So when you are ready I will be waiting. lol

Les

o

My guess is HVX, but I don't think anyone could be certain without testing; which is what you are teaching us.

Thank you,

Jon

o

Yes, we're waiting.

bkay

o

This picture is of a Fried Green Tomatoes I found in 2005 from a small grower west of Cleveland. He had about 100 of these and a few were showing some odd markings. They were dutch imports.

This plant has probably been one of the most tested hostas of all time. It has been tested multiple times for HVX, both in a lab, and with the AgDia test kit. A piece of it traveled to Minnesota and has been tested for a variety of viruses, as well as being examined with an electron microscope. Every result has been negative.

Finally after 3 years of testing negative I finally broke down and planted it in my garden. It has been there 4 years, and I just submitted it for testing again. Here are the results:

Host: Hosta 'Fried Green Tomatoes'
Diagnosis/ID: Not Detected for Tomato Mosaic Tobamovirus (ToMV)
Diagnosis/ID: Not Detected for Tomato Ringspot Virus (ToRSV)
Diagnosis/ID: Not Detected for Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus (TSWV)
Diagnosis/ID: Not Detected for Potyvirus Group
Diagnosis/ID: Not Detected for Tobacco Rattle Virus (TRV)
Diagnosis/ID: Not Detected for Hosta Virus X (HVX)
Diagnosis/ID: Not Detected for Alfalfa Mosaic Virus (AMV)
Diagnosis/ID: Not Detected for Arabis Mosaic Virus (ARMV)
Diagnosis/ID: Not Detected for Cucumber Mosaic Virus (CMV)
Diagnosis/ID: Not Detected for Impatiens Necrotic Spot Virus (INSV)
Diagnosis/ID: Not Detected for Lily Symptomless Virus (LSV)
Diagnosis/ID: Not Detected for Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV)
Diagnosis/ID: Not Detected for Tobacco Ringspot Virus (TRSV)
Diagnosis/ID: Positive for Tobacco Streak Virus (TSV)
Field ID: PVS-198

So there you have another virus I have never heard of in hosta.

o

Buckeye, very interesting. I can't find hosta listed as as a susceptible host for this virus anywhere.

Could it be a false positive or a contaminated sample? Was there a retest?

Jon

o

It is very interesting. So now that you know how do you respond? Do you remove it? Round up? Or just let it live with the virus?
Dave

o

Dave,

In TSV can be transmitted by thrips and by wind borne pollens. I would say that treating it with Roundup would not be a good idea as this just gives a longer period of possible transmission.

Transmission is by thrips or by pollen. Digging up and disposing of the plant and treatment of the garden (not vegetable) with an insecticide spray or insecticidal soap would be the route I would take.

It is not something that can be stabilized while you kill off the plant and the virus as HVX is. Of course there is no possible way that I would know that it was TSV.

If the plant tested negative for HVX infection then I would flood the area with insecticidal soap and dig the plant out. If positive for HVX then I would go the termination with glyphosate route.

Outside of having broad spectrum testing available, I think this is a practical route.

Jon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here