Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michey1st_gw

Hostas and Deer - what's a girl to do?

michey1st_gw
9 years ago

I LOVE Hostas! Had a bunch in my previous home, but knowing I was moving to a property overrun with deer, I chose to leave them behind. Fast forward a year and I still miss them.

My neighbor has a few in a bed between our two houses that she neglects and they don't make it much in to summer. So, i've started spraying them with Liquid Fence - we will see how they do.

She did let me dig up a couple - i placed them in the waterfalls of my pond (out of reach from the four-legged folk) and I will see how they do.

Our property backs to a forest, and I don't want to obstruct the view with a fence to keep them out. I've bought a frosted mouse ears to keep in a pot up on the patio (where I "think" they will be safe). Now i'm wondering if I can sneak a few in close to the neighbors fence and sheltered by a tree, maybe cover them with some netting and stick a bench in front block access?

Or use my North-facing side yard and place them between a plastic net and the house? (although i'm worried that will look fugly...

Any of you hosta aficionados struggle with Deer? Is there any hope? >.

Comments (6)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hi Michey,

I've attached a link to a thread from the recent past that may be of interest/help to you...

Good luck,
    Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lights (Remedies) for Deer, Rabbits?

• jadie88
    9 years ago

I would definitely pot up a few extra special ones to keep on the patio! Today I moved 'Autumn Frost' to my front porch because it is just soo beautiful.

Where in Md? I'm in Baltimore County.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I live in the woods. I have hosta and a lot of deer. Even though some of the plants get chewed, or even eaten to the ground I still have them. Here is my Pineapple Punch eaten as it emerged this spring.

I've learned nothing is 100% protection against deer. Mostly it is persistence, ongoing attention. When I get lazy, a couple of eaten hosta is all it takes to snap me back to attention! And you need to learn to tolerate a few leaves with bites taken out of them.

I mostly use Liquid Fence (reapplying is a pain). I use so much, my DH found a cheaper on-line source to buy the large jugs of concentrate! But there are many, many methods. Search the forum and you'll find many posts related to deer.

You're right, the closer to the house and human traffic, the safer. Dogs are great deterents too.

I say go for it, and good luck!

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

I am in Baltimore county. I used to spray and it always ends up with them eating them sometime along the way in the summer>>>so now, I just let them do it! I have an entire 200 foot driveway lined with ventricosa. By the end of the summer, they are sticks. It has been so frustrating, I do have some nice ones close to the house but even they will be eaten at some point. I believe fencing is the only preventive that really works and it is impossible for me to do this with my lot. arrrrgh.

• michey1st_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don, thank you for the link! I'm really intrigued by the Vicks Vapo-rub idea! Seems like a low-investment thing to try.

Jadie, I'm excited about the prospect of Hosta's on the patio! Between that and my raised deck, both with an Eastern exposure, I can at least have a little fun. Hopefully it's not to bright for them up there (but we won't know until we try!) I'm down near Washington DC (Silver Spring, actually) so not too far away. So thrilled to see the sun again after all that poopy rain we received =/

Hostahosta, your poor pineapple punch! Trying to get used to that "nibbled on" look will be tough, but is a necessary evil. I'm a little bit obsessive about the liquid fence spraying (I've only just started gardening here over the last 6 months, so my plant numbers are still manageable. First time I sprayed that stuff, I made the mistake of standing downwind. OOPSIES!

Shadeyplace, I didn't realize you were close-by too! I added a picture of your woodland garden stone wall (from that other thread) to my pinterest for inspiration... hope that's ok! I applaud you for throwing in the towel and letting nature take its course! All this "extra" wildlife us woodland gals get to enjoy makes the constant deer struggle worth it, IMO. (although ask me again after this summer is over, and my answer may change, lol!)

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

I agree the wildlife is wonderful. I have fox I feed every evening, pair if eagles next door, herons, ducks, and of course! Deer. Also, at my age, with no "crew", I have started to let the bottom part of the garden go anyway