Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Patch of seedlings

Posted by timhensley 5VT (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 21:25

These are mostly Big Momma seedlings. I let the scapes fall over and let nature take its course.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Patch of seedlings

Nice babies! Phil

o

Nice blues! Mine are almost all green.

Gesila

o

These have great color, Tim. I'd buy one of those.

Don B.

o

Really? I didn't know you could get babies from the scapes. Do you just pin scapes to the ground, kind of like with a shrub branch? (Propagation by layering?)

o

Thanks guys.

Mary I just let the scapes fall to the ground and let seeds fall on top of the mulch and they sprouted where they fell.

o

Seedlings are like rescue dogs, they don't have the papers and bloodline, but they can be the best.

Jon

o

As I'm sure you know, Jon, those 'mutts', with their mixed variety of gene pools, are some of the brightest, strongest (healthiest, in general) and long-lived domestic dogs in existence. I totally agree with you. I love dogs (and animals) in general. Having said that, I've always had a special affection for the mixed breeds.

Tim, I would buy one of those Big Momma seedlings. Price, shipping, etc. Really, I would. Just thinking (out loud) ; )

Cheers,
Don B.

o

Don,

I know...

photo DSC_0903_zps9befcbae.jpg

My mutt Shasta.

Jon

o

I know you did...

Shasta is beautiful.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, May 25, 14 at 18:54

o

photo 3901_445821898787192_993321323_n1_zps15945ab6.jpg

Found in a barn with 5 siblings. Phoenix her mother was starving, but she would not abandon her pups. The only person Phoenix would not growl at was the foster families 11 year old. They have kept Phoenix and the pups are all in new homes. Shasta was out to one home and returned. She has a lot of hunting instincts and would stalk me all the time and I would be scratched and bleeding (Bloody nose one time) She has always loved kids and loves people.

She still gets wild sometimes but never scratches and is the biggest baby you have ever met. Smart, I swear she talks to me, strong, can easily run down a rabbit and is a terrific watchdog as she has extraordinary senses (all dogs do, but she is exceptional).

Jon

o

Jon, Shasta is a beautiful dog and bless you for rescuing her! It breaks my heart to see all of the dogs and cats that are in shelters all because people are not responsible and don't spay or neuter their pets.

I rescued a Siberian Husky from our local shelter and she has turned out to be a great dog and I am so happy that I was able to give her another chance. Everyone should consider adopting instead of shopping for a pet.

Linda

o

Ditto, Linda

o

I foster dogs for a local rescue and I love doing it but my current foster is a digger and I'm constantly pulling her out of my hosta beds. She will probably be adopted tomorrow. She's a good dog and I'll miss her but I can garden uninterrupted!

o

Sandy, Shasta dug into a large pile of old logs covered with years of leaves and grass clippings that had turned into a hill of compost. She dug her body almost completely into the hill throwing out logs, simply throwing them out with her paws or grabbing them and pulling them out with her teeth as she attacked the pile. Fine with me after 10-15 minutes of furious digging she is ready for a nap when she comes inside.

Jon

o

You're a good soul, Sandysoil...

Don B.

o

Jon, I can imagine what Shasta looked like when she was finished devastating that wood/compost pile! A tired dog makes a happy owner!

Don, thanks. Gardening and dogs are my passions.

Sheila

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here