Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timhensley_gw

Patch of seedlings

timhensley
9 years ago

These are mostly Big Momma seedlings. I let the scapes fall over and let nature take its course.

Comments (16)

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Nice babies! Phil

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Nice blues! Mine are almost all green.

Gesila

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

These have great color, Tim. I'd buy one of those.

Don B.

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Really? I didn't know you could get babies from the scapes. Do you just pin scapes to the ground, kind of like with a shrub branch? (Propagation by layering?)

• timhensley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys.

Mary I just let the scapes fall to the ground and let seeds fall on top of the mulch and they sprouted where they fell.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Seedlings are like rescue dogs, they don't have the papers and bloodline, but they can be the best.

Jon

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

As I'm sure you know, Jon, those 'mutts', with their mixed variety of gene pools, are some of the brightest, strongest (healthiest, in general) and long-lived domestic dogs in existence. I totally agree with you. I love dogs (and animals) in general. Having said that, I've always had a special affection for the mixed breeds.

Tim, I would buy one of those Big Momma seedlings. Price, shipping, etc. Really, I would. Just thinking (out loud) ; )

Cheers,
    Don B.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Don,

I know...

My mutt Shasta.

Jon

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I know you did...

Shasta is beautiful.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, May 25, 14 at 18:54

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Found in a barn with 5 siblings. Phoenix her mother was starving, but she would not abandon her pups. The only person Phoenix would not growl at was the foster families 11 year old. They have kept Phoenix and the pups are all in new homes. Shasta was out to one home and returned. She has a lot of hunting instincts and would stalk me all the time and I would be scratched and bleeding (Bloody nose one time) She has always loved kids and loves people.

She still gets wild sometimes but never scratches and is the biggest baby you have ever met. Smart, I swear she talks to me, strong, can easily run down a rabbit and is a terrific watchdog as she has extraordinary senses (all dogs do, but she is exceptional).

Jon

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Jon, Shasta is a beautiful dog and bless you for rescuing her! It breaks my heart to see all of the dogs and cats that are in shelters all because people are not responsible and don't spay or neuter their pets.

I rescued a Siberian Husky from our local shelter and she has turned out to be a great dog and I am so happy that I was able to give her another chance. Everyone should consider adopting instead of shopping for a pet.

Linda

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Ditto, Linda

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    9 years ago

I foster dogs for a local rescue and I love doing it but my current foster is a digger and I'm constantly pulling her out of my hosta beds. She will probably be adopted tomorrow. She's a good dog and I'll miss her but I can garden uninterrupted!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Sandy, Shasta dug into a large pile of old logs covered with years of leaves and grass clippings that had turned into a hill of compost. She dug her body almost completely into the hill throwing out logs, simply throwing them out with her paws or grabbing them and pulling them out with her teeth as she attacked the pile. Fine with me after 10-15 minutes of furious digging she is ready for a nap when she comes inside.

Jon

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

You're a good soul, Sandysoil...

Don B.

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    9 years ago

Jon, I can imagine what Shasta looked like when she was finished devastating that wood/compost pile! A tired dog makes a happy owner!

Don, thanks. Gardening and dogs are my passions.

Sheila