Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

H. 'Knockout'

Does anyone know anything about, or have this hybrid hosta? It was a $5 sale hosta that caught my eye so I bought it. I looked it up in the M. Zilis book TFGTH and it was referred to under the Other Problems section on pg. 28. Its white margin is supposed to disintegrate with maturity, or drop out and produce a jagged saw-toothed appearance. Apparently in juvenile plants the foliage appears normal.

For $5 I figure if nothing else, at least it'll be a learning experience. It looks interesting and kind of "gnarly", lol

Jo

Comments (18)

• User
    9 years ago

Jo, you may have on your hands the same sort of thing I have with Sugar Daddy. The same horrid thing is supposed to happen to him, and I bought 2 to try in different places, to see if that had anything to do with it, and they wound up together. So far not looking half bad but I keep watching them.

We can hope it does you proud. It happens sometimes. It is no worse than some others I've seen, but it would not appeal to me. You are a softie, aren't you? :)

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I have a Snow Cap that is suppose to do the same thing and from what Myrle said was to not over water it and I have mine in a lot of shade and it hasn't done it yet. . From what I can remember she said was if it grows too quickly the edged tear because they don't grow as quickly as the green centers

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol Well, I'm sometimes a sucker for "somebody has to love the uglies" , lol
    In this case, I bought before I was "informed" - had no idea. I chose from a picture., then picked it up with several others. Learned about it afterwards.

As you say, trying different locations may help minimize the effect. Hostas like these certainly should not be fertilized, which exacerbates the problem.

Barbara Ann is another drawstring-effect one. I loved the shape of it so I bought it last spring. It's starting to elongate its pip and unfurling...I see winter's cold effects on its edges so far and some "goosebumps". A month down the road, who knows what it will look like?

I impulse buy a lot - before I actually research. Never think of checking on my iPhone while I'm shopping! Duh...I'll have to remember but some days I just want to try something new because it raises my curiosity and without all the research done ahead of time. I'm just not that disciplined all the time.

If I react to a hosta, it comes home with me - that's how quickly we bond! Lol
    But as I run out of space, I try to make more informed purchases - I just don't always succeed. Lol

You mentioned Sugar Daddy ... It was referred to in this category as well, as were - ready for this? ... hybrids Lakeside Kaleidoscope and Brim Cup.

Don has a beauty of LK, doesn't he? There appeared no trace of any drawstring effect or puckering around the outside of the leaves as I recall.

We will have to compare notes on these, our "gnarlies"! Lol

Jo

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

...its carp... POS lol... throw it on the driveway... maybe itll have a chance...

don b

p.s.... true jo... but my lsk is not mature yet... so well see... i hope not...

• User
    9 years ago

I have LS Kaleidoscope too. Got it in 2011. It did not do much for me first two years, but this year it started out looking fine.

Here it is, even with a frilly leaf, but not a drawstring is it?
    {{gwi:1008854}}

Wish I had my 2011 pictures, because I bought it in September in Massachusetts, and I'm sure it was ragged and going dormant, and I accepted that as normal for near dormancy. I was ignorant of everything concerning hosta!

Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks very fine, Mocc with nary a drawstring in sight! There's always the possibility of different growth in different climates where some do not exhibit any drawstring effect whatsoever, ever even in mature ones. I believe it's possible.

Faye, I took awhile composing my post so when I hit submit, you had posted in the meantime... I also think its habit can be curtailed or derailed by withholding just enough water to allow a slower growth rate in general...keep it alive but no special treatment...and more shade like you give yours.

Myrle's hit it right on - the difference in growth between the white margins and green centres leads to pressure on the thin margin causing it to tear.

It's definitely a challenge to try and steer this hosta towards a leisurely drive down a country road rather than a race onto the Autobahn! Lol

Original Author
    9 years ago

Don, you make me laugh! Fingers crossed for LK! ;-)

Mocc, I wasn't doing badly under the umbrella of "ignorance is bliss". Now the more I know, the "worrier" I get? Lol

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

not a long lived plant ... stunning.. until it dies.. and it will ... i am not sure i would dirty the driveway with it... it wont help ... lol...

i think i have had about 4 of them ...

i dont understand the reference to mryle above ... where did that come from?? .. am i not associating some Gw name ???

ken

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I have Knockout,and it has always been a good grower for me. This year,however,it was 'knocked out' by the freeze,but it always returns well,so I'm not worried. Phil

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Jo, I also have a trend of impulse buying and a few times in the last two years have bought a hosta and then realized I did have it I think I have three patriots because of this and a couple wolverine but like those anyway.
    I have a Barbara Ann that is suppose to tear at the edges but it never did last season and so far not this year . ( another impulse buy) Gets the morning sun but maybe will have to move it too into the shade. This year I have tried to keep my impulse buying down a bit when all the sales hit I may be out of control again. I do love a challenge

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Ken! Myrle is McTavish - referenced in Faye's post above :-)
    You had 4 of them? You must have liked it. When you say stunning it perks my ears up! Whether it lives long or not, I will enjoy the experience but thanks for the heads up. I am curious - was your first reaction when you saw it for the first time? I mean your Knockout, not mine.

Faye, I obviously like challenges too because I'm not easily daunted by "difficult" growers, lol. Your BA looks so pretty - when I bought mine, it didn't look anything like that. Here she is.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Really enjoying the humorous take on the escapades of your hosta, Phil! Lol

Is there a pic handy that you can post from previous years? If you've had it for a couple of years, it must be bigger and more corrugated? :-)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

who is faye ... crikey.. i am a man .. only one named allowed... and that is the GW name ... lol .. and i will forget that one too ...

work with me here.. lol ..

ken

ps: meryle is the one with the mountaintop right???.. hasnt been around much.. and uses the tav GW name.. thats what i thought.. but i see no post.. blah.. blah.. blah ...

pps: who is fay.. josephine signs jo??.. i know its not phil ... hooked didnt sign a name .. i am so lost ... moc is moc ... jo is jo.. who the hell is faye??? ... don???

Original Author
    9 years ago

I know I'm typing, but laughing out loud at the same time at your antics, Ken! You've already stated you'll forget anyway, but I'll humour you because you make me laugh! Ready?

Faye is almosthooked
    Myrle is McTavish

Faye and Myrle live in British Columbia and are also next-door neighbours! They are a lovely pair of gals with gorgeous hostas and equally gorgeous pictures, gorgeous gardens, gorgeous views, etc, etc,. But you don't have to remember all that, lol. Just remember to associate them with the word "gorgeous" and you've got it covered. Lol

Josephine's is Jo - you get a star for getting that one right!...and cookies! :-)

But first --- you didn't answer the question posed to you: what was your first reaction, or impression when you first got your Knockout? Thanks!

Jo

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

ha ha ha , nice to meet you Ken , I thinkl??? One of our names is an alias but not sure which is the real one.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

crikey... i dont know whats happening with you peeps... ken... jo... merle...faye... what???

don b

ps... in any case... knockout is... i will yell... CARP!!!

• User
    9 years ago

OMG, Jo, you think you were laughing and typing, I'm almost choking at first Ken, then at the very patient explicit, BASIC explanation you gave Ken, who was jumping up and down, about TWO NAMES, ONLY ONE ALLOWED!!!

Then on come you, the voice of reason, peace, pat him on the head, calm him down.

Oh gee, you gotta love this forum.

Do you write for soap operas, Jo? :)

• Lee
    9 years ago

Mine looks pretty good this year :)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler