Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

Dancing Mouse

Babka NorCal 9b
9 years ago

Got this one in 2012. Lovely purple flowers on short stems. I couldn't get the camera to take a photo of the colors that I was seeing outside, so I brought that mouse into my house and took a photo there. Sorry the inside one is a little fuzzy.

-Babka

{{gwi:1009176}}
{{gwi:1009179}}

Comments (11)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

That's a cutie.

Amazing how hard it is to duplicate color as we see it......

bk

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I love how the 'mouse' scapes so often fit the size of the little plants perfectly.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

I agree, BKay. Been fussing with the light, the choice of camera, the time of day, yadayada, it is hard to get what I see in a picture.
    Makes me realize how the choice of a picture in a catalog or on a website, when you order from that, can be a total surprise when you see the actual plant.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my yes. Back when Mary Chastain had her website for Lakeside Hostas, she had photos taken by Carol Brashear, who is a fantastic photographer.
    I bought a number of those Lakesides, that never looked as good as those photos. (Black Satin, Kaleidoscope, Explosion, and a few others) Some did, and my Dragonfly is precious, as is L. Paisley Print, etc, but oh, my those photos simply grabbed you and said buy me, buy me, buy me.

Yes a photo can seal the deal. That is one reason I love the HL, as you get photos from people in different areas under varying growing conditions. That was not the case with the Lakeside hostas, as the only photos at the library were the ones submitted by Mary at the time. I craved "L. Dividing Line" and spent a couple years trying to find someone who had something to show other than a pic of one leaf from Mary's website. She offered it for $100 OS, and I came very close to sending for one....until another Garden Web person showed his plant. It was a white center, not just the very, very thin line shown in the leaf photo on her website.

Photos do sell. Do your homework before you succumb.

Or not. Just buy them and decide for yourself!!!!!

-Babka

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Babka, that is an adorable combo! The leaves, the perfectly proportioned scapes, right down to the perfect little round pot!

I'll never forget seeing a picture of H. 'Wolverine' for the first time and the impact that photo had on me. A year later when I ran across the plant it looked different in colour but I bought it anyway. This was in 2011. Last year during the leaf shots thread I was trying to get a good colour pic of W. It wasn't until I got up extremely close to the leaf that I was able to duplicate the pic I saw in the book! Was I thrilled. So now I experiment and take A LOT of pix in search of the perfect one. Not being a photographer, it takes many, many takes to find one satisfying enough to post.

What I learned so far, and which works for me the best, is to take pix right after the sun sets. I've also decided that trying to capture "blues" is the most difficult of all.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Babka, I want to see your LS Paisley Print. The one I bought was really small, then Cleo gave it the "death shake" and it never came back. I'd like to see what a potted one looks like. I may try that one again.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

I'm sure Babka's is prettier than mine, even though it looks better this year than it did before. I keep getting it and LS Prophecy Fulfilled mixed up. So I moved them close to sort it out.

What I am waiting to see is the Snake Eyes that Babka has, which I spotted on her "Don't Block The Exit" bleachers last year. I could not wait to find one of my own. Babka, you grow such beautiful hosta. Recognizing your space limitations and living amiably within that space, you have not succumbed to temptation of high density gardening. I think that gives you time to devote to individual plants and grow them to perfection.

Anyway, BKay, I offer up my LS Paisley Print.
    It came from Naylor in 2012.
    {{gwi:1009181}}

and LS Prophecy Fulfilled

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

BKay, Here's my third year L>Paisley Print that's grown in a raised bed.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gary!!!!! That is why I am trying again with this one. (check your camera date) haha.

I bought one off the HL Auction in 2011. It arrived damaged and has not done well. I got a second one from Hallsons this spring and it is doing beautifully. It was a photo similar to Gary's that convinced me I had to give this one another try.

You can tell the size by the markers in the pots.

Bkay- Definitely try again with this one. It is a beaut!

-Babka

{{gwi:1009184}}

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

At least the date is closer than my previous posts! (January) I told you I'm no techno wizard! ha ha

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Oooh, yeah. That's what it's supposed to look like....

definitely worth another shot.

bk