Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

The Paul Aden Story: By Bill Meyer

don_in_colorado
9 years ago

For those who care at all about this, this is supremely interesting stuff. Just noticed this today on the Hosta Library home page, but I did post the link...

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'The Paul Aden Story' by Bill Meyer

Comments (14)

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks, DonB. It is something that fascinates me.

What in the world was he thinking!
    It impacts so much the fragrant hostas, which are among the ones of most interest to me. You just don't know if the confusion over fragrant or non fragrant was made even more difficult by his Wizard ways. Making up plants, making up lineage.

Yes, thank you for calling it to (my/our) attention. There is much on the Hosta Library besides pretty pictures.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yess indeed, Mocc. MUCH besides pretty pictures. Also, thank you, Bob Axemear, for providing this to us. You're the best.

Just read the chapter on Kevin Vaughn. Pretty amazing stuff. Ooooh, WHAT did he cross with plantaginea to get Fragrant Bouquet, I wonder endlessly?? A mystery. In any case, what a wonderful hybrid. I'm also really glad Bob Solberg noticed that unusual sport from Fragrant Bouquet tissue culture. Can't think of it's name at the moment, though...Hmmm...It'll come to me...

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

Geeeeeeeeee, Don I wonder ... I think it is edible, a DIP mebbe ...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's coming back to me, Dave...it's...NOT Avocado...Being in Colorado, when you said 'edible', my mind went...happy...Hole Mole, I can't remember it right now...Maybe I need another Cerveza. I'll think of it.

Don B.

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

I have just finished reading it, a fascinating story. I have read bits of it as it came up in threads on here in the past but this is a more detailed account. The fall out of this seems to still be dividing peoples views, how can people support what he did, even if those plants never made it to market, it was theft.

It was nice to read some more about Florence Shaw and her fantastic plants. I am happy that most of the people he stole from have got the recognition for their work that they deserve. I really don't see how he can still be listed as originator of any hosta at this point in time.

Thanks for the link Don, I might have missed it on the library.

Denis

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You bet, Denis, I applaud Mr. Meyer and this great effort from him.

A thief is a thief, not up to him whether these plants made it to market. I agree, Denis, as you said, it is still theft. That pretty much says it all, buddy.

Who says hostas are boring? Not me!! : )

Cheers,
    Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, May 30, 14 at 1:25

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Don- Thank you for calling this to our attention.

Bill Meyer presents some very believeable arguments in favor of giving proper credit to some of the pioneers of Hosta hybridizing.

I find Paul Aden to be a despicable person...a thief who had no regard for the hard work of others...claiming their achievements to be his own. Very sad.

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I agree, Babka. Very sad, the whole thing. You're very welcome, I figured there are a good amount of people here that may want to read this; Would be a shame to miss it.

Don B.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

This shows how a person can start something, profits from it, and at the end is sorry over it. You really have to know your neighborhood, and to whom you will show your most beautiful plants. I read here that some people stole plants out of front yards, had some mental problem, Aden also had a moral problem. Luckily nobody ran away with my $250 young dwarf conifers I put out in front of my house. My backyard is fenced in, also have to keep some critters out, and I like my privacy. Bernd

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

The vitriolic tone of the article didn't surprise me at all.

• LRB3
    9 years ago

That was fascinating. I keep a Word document that has photos of all of my hostas, their location in my garden, characteristics, parentage, and who registered them. I'll now have to edit it to remove all the Aden references. And I'll gladly do so.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link. I haven't read all of it yet. It's something I wanted to know.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

Don, I think somewhere else I saw that Fragrant Bouquet was from Fascination, which is why I am on a quest to get one. Sadly, Van Wade did not have it available this year. Where I read that note is the MYHOSTAS.BE info about Fascination, I THINK.

Anyway, Fascination is the parent of Smooth Sailing, one of my first favorite hosta. (plus others...:)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info, Mocc. Very curious as to both the parents of this very special fragrant hosta.

Don B.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH