Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Hosta plants leaves change the MOST from pot, to adult?

Posted by leafwatcher zone 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 21:33

I was just thinking of how many of the plants radically change, I was wondering what types you find to be the biggest surprise, Sagae has always surprised me.

It just doesn't jump out to me in its youth, and then pow I think..
" When did I plant that good luckin son of a gun?"
;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Hosta plants leaves change the MOST from pot, to adult?

I'm not sure if there ONE answer to your query. The thing we have to give them is time, regardless of which cultivar it is. I've been asked how I can grow Niagara Falls as big and beautiful as it is.......simple, it's been in the ground for five years. Plant them and let them be, people!

Dave

o

Leafwatcher -- I'm interested in your comment about Sagae -- I don't have one but its on my list since I have admired many many beautiful ones on this forum -- showstoppers every one. Now I know not to be too surprised at the nursery version.
By the way -- how do you pronounce Sagae?
Jan

o

Suh-guy is how I pronounce it.

o

Pineapple Upsidedown Cake comes to mind. As a juvenile it has pointy, wavy leaves. As an adult the leaves lose their waviness and become much wider, long and more arching, and It can get several feet across.

o

Ginko Craig is one I think of sort of in the opposite though - didn't keep any pics - but remember juvenile leaves were small and attractive and thinking too bad it didn't keep its smaller form.

Paul

o

My Zippety doo dah had very wavy leaves when I bought it,but now,the leaves are flatter,with hardly any ripple. I actually preferred the potted version. Phil

o

Hehehehe. Which ONE? Well, take a look at the mass of pots, only a portion of the ones clustering closely in the quickly shrinking shade of my courtyard. Maybe next week they will be organized beneath the new shade structure, and I can show you just ONE which has changed.

Plus, I hope to have some raised above others by mounding the pine bark into a hosta hill. I just love them all, and they've all changed so much, sometimes in an instant.

But the Holy Mole is awesome, the Alex Summers, and the biggest grower of all was Fried Bananas, so yellow it can be identified from 20 feet instead of 10. Then the puny little Zounds looked so babyish, but is now a nice golden mound too. Like I said, I love them all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here