Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Down by the creek...

Posted by ravensfan52 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 14 at 21:34

Walking my dogs on Sunday, something caught my eye on a creek bank near our local community park. It was not a skunk cabbage, which do have hosta-like leaves. This was an actual hosta, growing wild along this creek bank. I had to rescue it....it is a blue, large leaved hosta, with a ruffled edge. Any ideas as to what it might be? Pics below.

photo imagejpg4-2.jpg

Leaf edge closeup:

photo imagejpg5-2.jpg

I was ecstatic about discovering this guy at the creek's edge. Hopefully I can get him ID'ed or even name him myself. Pretty cool!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Down by the creek...

Nice Find!!
Wish I could help ID, but I'm the one usually asking.

o

'Ray Lewis'?

Don B.

o

Definitely worthy of the name, Don! Obviously a tough guy to survive and thrive on the steep slope he was growing on. I know there is a named "Ray of Hope", but no Ray Lewis (so far!)

o

• Posted by Ludisia 7a Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Mon, May 12, 14 at 22:04

Ohhh she's gonna be a big girl. No doubt some sieboldiana in there, you can tell by those big billowy leaves. The blue glaze is subtle but stong enough to catch your eye.

What a delightful treat for you !!!

I would think that given its 'primitive' environment it is most likely a seedling from God knows where.

You have an original there, and I would start thinking about a garden name.

My vote is for 'Creekside'.

Enjoy !
Ludi

o

Ooh that's nice!

My name suggestion is "Raven's Creek".

Denis

o

That's a beauty! How about 'Finder's Keepers'?

o

What a find! Wow! It is going to be HUGE! I'm not that familiar with Olga Petryszyn's hostas, but the size alone made me think of her. It looks like it is protecting all the hostas around it like an umbrella would!

Lucky you! Congratulations on your find! I love the name suggestions. Let's keep trying to identify it. When I return from TO later today I will look through my books. :-)

Jo

o

Actually it looks like Queen-of the Seas. Phil

o

Great find! Reminds me a whole lot of my Thunder Boomer. Mine had the same blue tone to it until my DH decided to put the shade cloth down too low on some of my hostas and the sun tried to fry them. Lost a lot of blue then, but you can still see what I'm talking about, especially with the new leaf towards the bottom.

20140513_104856.jpg

o

While researching another hosta on the Library, I clicked on Hadspen Dolphin and it looks a lot like that. At any rate, I will be making notes on bloom time, bloom pics, etc. and will likely submit a registration in the early fall. Thanks for your input!

o

Reminds me of Bold Ruffles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here