Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dfrench200

New to forum

dfrench200 (7a)
9 years ago

Hello All!
I'm glad I found you. My name is Doug, and I am a Hosta addict... Im looking forward to learning more and sharing some of my favorites... Ill start of with one of my top 5: Striptease. It's been in the ground for 4 years and it's huge! It's interesting that a couple of the leaves are showing signs of streaking. I traced all of them down to one eye. In the middle of the plant of course. If I were brave enough do you think I could, over a couple of divisions, extract that one eye with that characteristic and reproduce it?

Comments (10)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum Doug!

There are plenty of hosta enthusiasts & officianados here. I don't have Striptease but do grow Kiwi Full Monty which (I'm told by a reliable hosta grower/seller) is the same as Striptease. My KFM grew to 3X the size I'd allotted it, with leaves the size of turkey platters. I successfully divided it 3 years ago and the divisions are looking nearly as large as the original plant this year.

I don't see why you couldn't tag & isolate that one eye and divide your plant in such a way as to plant just the eye you want in a separate bed. There are no guarantees it would produce a plant that you're expecting but it might be worth the effort.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Welcome.

Give it time. You may get sports on the outer edge that won't risk the mother plant. Here's a pic of one of mine in 2012 that I dubbed 'Abbey Normal'.

tj

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Ah, there it is. You may get an H. 'Eye-gor' out of that Striptease yet, TJ. : ) I see a Gamma Ray, I see a Gold Standard, and several others. Oh my gosh.

Welcome to the forum, Doug! I'd wait on cutting that piece out as well.

Cheers,
    Don B.

EDIT: If it's a sport, which it very well may be, it will reappear next season. That's why I say wait; don't tear apart your beauty on a maybe, y'know?

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, May 29, 14 at 0:21

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Hi Doug, welcome to the forum! Your Striptease photo is gorgeous! Mary

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Doug- Welcome! I would urge you to be patient and see if that different eye repeats itself next year. You don't want to carve up a beautiful plant like you have to get an eye that isn't stable.

Gardenweed- Striptease is Green, and Kiwi Full Monty is blue and larger. They are different plants.

-Babka

• luuk
    9 years ago

Lucky you, ...anyway with or without streaking you have a really nice plant, ...welcome!

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Welcome and congratulations on the sport. I think you have some good advice here. I was happy to see your picture; Striptease is one of my favorites. The only sport I've had so far I removed by the twist and pull method - I didn't want it at the time. It looked like Gold standard. I'm kind of regretting that decision.

Happy sport watching,
    Beverly

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Welcome!! I like streaky sports and if there are multiple leaves from that eye that are streaked (I really only see one leaf in the pic) I would respectfully, personally separate it thie year. That is must me. I would do it in late summer though....when things are cooling down for the year and it would have time to heal and grow new roots. These late summer divisions don't look like much for the remainder of the season but come up nice the following Spring.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum,Doug! I have many Stripteases,and a few years ago,I added Kiwi Full Monty. It took a few years,but this spring I can finally see the difference between them. My KFM is definitely blue,compared to Striptease,as they are side-by-side. Babka is right. Phil

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

Striptease is the monster of my garden. From one 8 year old plant I have 4 huge plants, and have given away 3 others. It is an excellent hosta.