Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbug_zone6

Tokudama Flavocircinalis

mbug_gw
9 years ago

I think it is a strong and striking plant. Not fully mature yet, but the best it has looked for me.
Still not all up.

Comments (18)

• coll_123
    9 years ago

nice, mbug. Mine is still emerging, but is a favorite of mine. Has grown well for me, despite its reputation.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

You must be psychic.. I just took this pic !

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice one Leaf!

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I have my work cut out catching up to yours... its a beaut !

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Your plants are beautiful; I am still waiting for mine to completely leaf out. I will be able to post a pic soon...I hope.

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!!! I lost my Flavo (and my Aureonebulosa) when we re-did a garden and I had them in pots over the winter. Just found some nice ones at a local garden center with quite a few eyes, so I am excited to be "getting them back" this Friday when I go there again.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Toku clan can be slow to grow, but easy to love. Nice specimen mbug.

Paul

• User
    9 years ago

I have those two also. After they arrived, I read they were slow to grow. Now I realize that is not a bad thing, if you have space challenges. Some that do not explode can give me a rest!

Let's see if I have a clear shot of them both from this spring.

Tokudama Flavocircinalis

Somewhere in this picture is Tokudama Aureonebulosa

{{!gwi}}

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Mocc, every time I look at your zone I am amazed you can grow such beauties way down there! I visited Monterey CA earlier this spring and noticed there were no hostas anywhere, so I looked up their zone- 10.

Here is my Tok F which is just starting to unfurl- should be very nice this year. I have a second one in a spinout bag in another bed which is not quite as large

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Nice. Really pretty. Tokudama Flavocircinalis looks like Frances Williams to me. Not exactly, but I'm reminded of it when I see your pics. TF seems like more pastel-ish colors.

Is it just the pics, or DOES she look a lot like FW? (Never seen one with my own eyes).

Don B.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I think the coloring is the same, but TF is lower- my neighbor has a couple FWs next to her house that are quite tall. I've seen Tok F described as a smaller FW, but I think the form is different, and best of all, Tok F does not desiccate!!! I think it's just about the perfect hosta to me- I love the colors, texture, and slug resistance. It's probably in my top three if I had to pick favorites.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

The one that looks almost identical to TF is Jack of Diamonds.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Wow Coll! I love looking at your garden photos.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

It isn't all out yet but it looks promising.
    {{gwi:1009865}}

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice!!! love all those
    Thanks for sharing

• coll_123
    9 years ago

thank you Paula, and that does indeed look very promising! I think last year was the first mine made the leap to really looking like a mature hosta. And I swear, I have others the same age- like Sleeping Beauty, for one- that are no where close as far as growth...so I don't know why the Tokudamas have such bad reputations in that regard.

I planted a Tok Aureonebulosa on the opposite side of this bed last year...looks like it had some cold damage but it otherwise ok. The coloration does not grab me like Tok F though.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

I agree re: Tok Aureo; I did not buy that one. I think this is the fourth summer for mine and I am pleased with its progress.
    Notice the greenish hue where it is supposed to be more blue? All of my blues are green this year.