Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutmeg4061

My 'bum' June

nutmeg4061
12 years ago

I bought this one eyed June in 09, and it looks exactly the same today. Tiny, pathetic little thing.

All other hostas and perennials in the bed have flourished.

For size reference, the Stiletto to the left of it is a foot wide, and the larger, hail riddled leaf above the June is Gold Standard.

Should I lift it and see if I planted it too deep, or do you think I just got a bad one?

Thank you.

Nutmeg

Comments (6)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Take it out. Pot it up. Keep it in a spot where it gets only a little sun. Fertilize it with slow release Osmocote (or something similar), then every two weeks give it a feeding with a liquid fertilizer. Make sure it's in a mix that drains well and then water it daily. Basically, you're putting it in the Hosta ICU. After labor day find a spot for it where it doesn't have a lot of root competition and then plant it there. I don't think there is a "bad one." Just ones that get off to bad starts or are in bad locations.

Steve

• nutmeg4061
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's now in a pot. When I dug it up, it looked like it now has less roots than it originally had. Definitely an unhappy little thing. This will cure it or kill it, lol.

• Mary4b
    12 years ago

Steve...how much sun would you consider "a little"...and should that preferably be morning sun vs. midday, etc? May I ask why the small amount of sun helps? I always heard that well-watered plants grow fastest in more sun, even if they may not look the best.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Bill Meyer had an article in the Hosta Library Reading Room about dealing with divisions that have limited root systems. He suggests all shade so that the growth cycle doesn't get interrupted. But I think this one should get one or two hours of direct sun or just high dappled shade. June can handle a bit of sun. Here's the quote from the article:

"Good indirect light is best, and no more than a little direct early morning or late evening sun should touch the leaves for the rest of the growing season. If the leaves are protected from damage of any kind, a hosta will try to produce enough roots to keep them supplied with water."

The direct sun will cause the leaves to transpire water. If the limited root system can't keep up with the need for water by the leaves, the growth cycle will be interrupted. You want the plant to make as many roots as possible while it is in the ICU. Even when you put it back in the soil in the fall it will need lots of water and care.

Here's the link to the article. He's talking about receiving plant divisions with limited root systems, but the idea is the same.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Handling Auction Plants

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

That plant looks like Stiletto, I have those, are good growers. Probably never was a June!
    Bernd

• lindac
    12 years ago

Bernd, she's referring to the plant on the right...
    My June is so very different from the plant you showed....much broader green and much more dark green....sort of like a reverse paul's glory. But a local nursery is selling June that looks very much like that. My theory is that 'things happen' to plan ts in tissue culture and that there was a huge batch of tissue cultured June that has that narrow green band...or perhaps there was a huge batch well before that that had the wider green band.

It seems to me that there is a 'batch' of plants that just don't do well. for several years I tried to grow Great Expectations...2 years and dead....just got smaller rather than larger....but I persevered and finally I have 2 plants that are growing rather than shrinking...so I think I have finally gotten good plants. Same thing with Golden meadows... but finally have one that seems to be doing well....but I killed a bunch!

My advice to Nutmeg is to go buy another June, preferable from someone who sells divisions. Linked is one of my Junes about 3 years back.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths