Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckyone11

Where are my hostas?

LuckyOne11
9 years ago

I am in the Minneapolis area and we had a very cold, snowy winter this year. Last year I lost the majority of my hostas due to the excessive rain we had in the Spring, so I had to plant new ones. They did great and looked beautiful. I had an issue with voles so I planted them in wire baskets to keep them away from my babies. Now this spring I only see pips from 3 of my 9 or 10 Hostas. Should I be worried yet or could they be late due to the weather? I am worried that all the snow may have caused them to rot. Please help :(

Comments (11)

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

Not even half of mine are up yet. The earliest tulips are only now opening. Pitiful...

• dougald_gw
    9 years ago

My hostas have all shown pips (nothing unfurled at all) and tulips have just poked through (no blooms yet anywhere).

I am not as expert as many on this forum, but have found through my own bad experiences that correct planting depth is important to preventing losses. Maybe Ken could give his annual exposition on correctly planting a hosta :)

I am not suggesting that your hostas are planted too deeply, simply it is one possibility for why they have not yet shown. Assuming the hostas are not deseased with rot or attacked over the winter by voles, another reason for a late showing is the ground was shaded and remained frozen longer.

If the pips dont show within the next several days, I would be tempted to dig one to examine the crown and roots. Losses are tough to take but much can be learn from these situations.

Doug

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

I'm also from the Twin Cities. I have nearly 500 hostas and I've only seen pips from a few dozen. It's still early, given how cold it has been.

• LuckyOne11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I miscounted, I have 5 of my 14 Hostas showing pips. Mine are planted at the exact depth that it was suggested for them to be so I don't think that is the issue. They are planted in a bed with a medium-large sized evergreen bush. Until last year, 3 of my Hostas had been in the ground for a good 15 years and the rest had been there for almost 9 years. We had a very strange spring. It was in the 70's and 80's in March, followed by an insane amount of rain throughout April, May, June and into July. Even my Lilacs didn't bloom with all the confusion. Most of the ones I lost last year had rotted and two were just gone, so I assume Voles got them. As of yesterday I had 3 showing pips and this morning I see 2 more so I hope they are just slowly waking up. I will give them another week and then I guess I will do some digging to check on them. Any suggestions on safe ways to dig them up without killing them or injuring the crown? The ones that get the most sun are some of the ones with pips so far.

This post was edited by LuckyOne11 on Fri, May 9, 14 at 13:03

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Leave them alone! It's too wet to dig right now. If they're dead, there's no point in digging them up at the moment. If they're still dormant, you'll be disturbing/severing healthy roots and could set them back

As I said before, I'm also in the twin cities and maybe 10% of mine are pipping. MAYBE 10%.

JUST BE PATIENT!

• andi_mn
    9 years ago

hi. red wing here and on the north side of a hill. no pips on many hostas but I know they are ok. all well established, mature hosta . was working in my garden and the soil itself is still So cold. late spring Again.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

They're just waking up. They'll come up, just give 'em a bit more time...As Melissa stated, her hostas are right there with yours. They're OK.

Don B.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

I'm also in the Twin Cities and my hosta that get sun are up. However, many hosta in shady locations have not shown yet. Last year I thought I lost some but I did not. They came up almost in June, so I'm not worried. Its interesting how much difference location can make, even within one small yard.

Beverly

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

You're in the same zone as Anchorage, AK. Patience.

Steve

• tsbccowboy
    9 years ago

I am another Twin Cities person. Here is one photo from this year and three from last year of the same area. Not much is happening with the Hostas, but each day I see more poking thru the mulch. None have leafed-out at this time. They will come.

Cowboy

5/4/14

5/13/13

5/27/13

6/25/13

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I posted the same worried question on the New England Gardening forum a couple of weeks ago. Other than those planted in my full shade bed, all my hostas are finally up, way later than in any other year since I've been gardening where I am near the CT/MA state line. I checked my garden notes a while back and we're nearly a full six weeks later seeing perennials than in 2012.

Of the approximately 50 hostas I grow, all but those growing in full shade are now up...finally.