Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Mocc...chances are you know this one, maybe?

Mocc, and anyone else, last year I bought a small yellow hosta which ended up having scented flowers. It stumped us because of the scent on the flowers.

Here it is, in its unfurling stage. Does it look like anything you may have? Let's ignore the scent aspect for now. Just a shot in the dark, but it's worth a try I.D.-ing it in this form rather than all leafed out. Looks like 5 or 6 vein pairs.

Thanks for looking.
Jo

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago

Okay, Jo, do you happen to have the pics from last year at hand too?

This is a bit of a chartreuse unless it is the light, because the tips look more yellow and a yellow outline of the leaf. It is a CERTIFIED GORGEOUS little hosta!

The substance looks fairly good, not a thin leaf I bet? Does it turn green as the season progresses? I need a refresher.
    But, you know it does look a wee bit familiar to me.

My thought is
    Nakaiana 'Golden'

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It actually turned a bit chartreuse from the soft yellow when I first brought it home. Here is the pic from last year. If we don't get it this time around, I'll try again when it's blooming.

Thank you for catching this thread ever so quickly! :-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

... And here it is in bloom. Flowers are lighter than Golden Scepter, which I have a few of.

It will be interesting to see if it will display the "sport" once again or not.

This post was edited by josephines67 on Thu, May 22, 14 at 22:48

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hi Jo, I'm sure you've noticed this; In your last pic, do I see a bit of 'sporting' going on with your plant? I see a couple leaves at 6 and 9 o'clock, approximately, that look a little margined. Maybe it'll come back. Just an observation.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Sorry, second-to-last pic is what I was mentioning. You snuck the last one in before I hit the 'Submit Message' button. : )

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Okay, here is Gold Drop, which is about to bloom now. At least, the left half is scaping. The right half is not.

See, here the two halves are in July 2013, one with seed pods, one with open blooms

I do not have Little Aurora. Want to check that out?
    No, it has purple scapes, your hosta has green scapes.

I only have two Tiaras, and it isn't one of those. However, they sport. I bet you've already checked that route. Interesting hosta.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, you're right, I've been doing homework too as research makes me remember. I just checked on flower scapes and flower colour on Birchwood Parky's Gold. They are the same flower colour shade and scape as on my NOID. According to Mark Zilis BPG and nakaiana 'Golden' are the same plant.

You actually suggested BPG as a possibility last year. What threw us was that I detected a flower scent. I will check again when it flowers to see if it is scented this year as well. In the meantime it will have the name of "BPG aka NOID". Hopefully this summer I can drop the NOID from its name.

Thank you for all your efforts and time, Mocc. I think you nailed it. I so appreciate it. :-)

Jo

• User
    9 years ago

Are you sure it was MOI? I don't know anything about BPG. Thanks for the info about BPG and Nakaiana Golden being the same plant, according to Zilis. I might have to add a line to the name tag to include that.

Okay, one NOID down, umpteen more to go.

Original Author
    9 years ago

You offered a few possibilities last summer ;-). I'm giving you the credit because it was my first thought, lol. ...and I couldn't remember any other names..my bad! ooh, .my mind is mush right now...reading all day, basically. I took a break, walked around the garden, checked on anything new...oh yes, the blues are taking on more blue with the passing days. Such a beautiful sight.

The Field Guide To Hostas is a Great book! The rings as a spine are so convenient as you can fold the pages back onto themselves.