Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

Don't block the exits

Babka NorCal 9b
10 years ago

I can sympathize with Phil, as I also have a spouse that puts up with my affair with hostas for all these years. He knows the battle that would ensue if he ever suggested that perhaps we have too many for our small space. All he asks, is "Don't block the exits".

Here are some photos of our fam. room deck sliding doors, then up close right and left side. Plenty of room to get through there.

Then there is the atrium that is another exit off the master bathroom.

;-)

-Babka

{{gwi:1010168}}

{{gwi:1010169}}

{{gwi:1010170}}

{{gwi:1010172}}

{{gwi:1010173}}

Comments (52)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I do just that...stand there and gaze every morning. Today they grabbed my attention and I had to take these photos. May is a good month here.

Soon, however I'll be drooling at pics from back east, when you peeps show your fabulous landscaping hostas, and woodland walks.

-Babka

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Very , Very VERY nice!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Babka, your hostas are outstanding. I can see that they are very happy and that you are taking very good care of them. Lucky hostas!

My husband also doesn't understand the need for all the hostas I have and still want. And my kids just roll their eyes when I share some insight about hostas. My mom and sister can't understand what happened to me and why I like gardening so much. Oh well.

I found the picture below, but I don't know where I got it from. I think this could very well be me and my pots soon!

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Babka,i love your collection of hostas in pots,and they are arranged in a tasteful manner! I have only a few hostas in any kind of containers. Even so,they are also in my garden. I don't have the space on either of my decks,but even if I had,the squirrels and other critters in these woods would reek havoc in the pots! I'm afraid I am comitted to growing them in soil of the woods. Phil

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

Babka: they are all beautiful. So many in pots.

I introduced my Mom to hosta last year (instantly a hostaholic) and she purchased about 30(maybe more) and put them all in pots. Seems like a lot of work to me to overwinter as she had to move them all into an unheated garage, water them, and will eventually need to up-pot them. Even so, I have started just a couple in containers. You can move them around and strategically place them, elevate them, etc to make the garden look grand.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Babka - spectacular - 'nuf said.
    Jan

• User
    10 years ago

Babka sets the bar high for us other potheads.

To me, her garden reminds me of a Japanese bonsai display garden with a Zen feeling to it. Peaceful and beautiful. Plus the way she arranges the leaf patterns fits my esthetic also.

Always, inspirational when Babka shares her garden.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Fantastic! You are a grouping master. These combinations work perfectly together.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Very, very nice Babka, you tier them perfectly and have a great eye for texture, color and form. I am impressed and jealous of your head start.

Jon

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Babka I am inspired. I have a long term plan of creating two arrangements, one on either side of my front door. I'm inspired by your combinations. I have yet to perfect my overwintering technique. Once I have that down I'll be getting your advise on organization.

Beverly

• dg
    10 years ago

Beautiful photos Babka! This is just what I've been needing to see for pot arrangement ideas. Yours are something for me to aspire to.

Thanks,
    Deb

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

As usual, I love your photos. Thanks for sharing.

bk

• luckykat13
    10 years ago

Holy cow. What do you use to fertilize them. They are gorgeous! I am not having luck with pots. Lost a few over winter. Others came back really small.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow!

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

OK, Babka, I can't resist anymore, I'm going to get some Hosta to permanently showcase in pots for my deck. Enablers Inc., that's what we are! :)

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Babka here makes a lesson clear: pots give you a chance to change your mind.

And then, when you have it right, you leave it that way. That is not as hard on the hosta as it is on a bad back....moving until you like what you see takes muscles. But also, it avoids traumatizing beloved hosta with repeated moves.

That's what I like about containers! And that picture above with the WHITE potted deck, is a dream come true. My pots sure do not "match." I just match the hosta to the pot. Yes, I believe hosta need to be treated as individuals with NEEDS. :)

Then, Babka, I'm seeing the slogan becoming a runaway best-selling tee-shirt for spouses of all hostaholics:

''DON'T BLOCK THE EXITS"

Sheer genius with pictures of HOSTA everywhere on the shirt
    Sold at AHS conventions and Hoarders Anonymous everywhere. .

As always, inspirational and beautiful.Thanks for the shots.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

WOW!!!!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

babka, what is the hosta in the lower front center of the group on the right side of the family room door - the one with a blue center and light green edges. It kind of looks like OBL, but not. It's gorgeous. How old is it?

bk

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I just can't resist ! This is one of the arrangements that Myrle's sister has in her yard . This is one of the many arrangements she has and I am sure at least one exit is blocked by now.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bkay- The blue with the lighter green edge is OBL. You know your stuff!
    I got it in 2006, and probably should've divided it this year. It is packed into a 3 gal nursery pot and has already sent up 6 flower stalks (which I remove). I figured it would be getting smaller leaves this year because it is so crowded but those are still the size of dinner plates this year. I've made notes to divide it next Spring.

-Babka

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Gasp! Beautiful...thanks for sharing. Like bkay, I was also struck by the OBL. What a striking display you have!

• User
    10 years ago

Babka, the 4th picture down.
    Is that Rhino Hide surrounded by some strippers--at least 3 members of the Striptease family? I think I see some white lines there.......

You know, I had Rhino Hide next to Gypsy Rose.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocc- You have very good eyes. Yes, a 2011 Rhino Hide with strippers. Striptease (green), the blue version Kiwi Full Monty, and the newest one from last year, Snake Eyes, which has the thicker white line.

I don't know how you can ID so many when you are so new at this. How many do you have now...about quadrouple my 90? What in the world are you going to do when the get past the 3 gal size? Some can get 3-4 feet across by then, and although I like to scrunch them together, you can ony do that so much before you run out of room....or strength in your back from moving them around.

I guess the high we get from looking at those leaves balances the pain in our back from moving them around. ;-)

-Babka

• User
    10 years ago

Ouch, now I love the Snake Eyes.

But Babka, I've thought about what you say before now. I might end with wall to wall or fence to fence hosta. Just so long as I don't block the exits? (I really do think you should register that slogan, at the very least).

I do not have all the fragrant hosta yet, Babka. How can I stop now? The exercise does me good. The mental part of it, remembering names and where they are, keeps my mind in gear. And so does reading manuals for cameras and computers.

As time goes by, I'm sure there will be hosta unable to adjust to this climate. Those will gradually diminish and I won't replace them. We've had an unusually cool spring so far, and that leads to a more vigorous response to the warm days and cool nights--more like HOME to the hosta, I bet. If it had warmed up really early, and been hot right now, I think it would not be as awesome as now. Somehow most of the hosta got enough dormancy to respond very well this spring. Even the ones late in emerging from dormancy have more EYES than last year--well not quite true-- I did not see most of my hosta at the emerging stage, until this spring. They arrived here between February and October, all emerged and some even entering dormancy (those from Van Wade October order).

It will be interesting to work it out on the fly.

• Janice
    10 years ago

Amazingly gorgeous Babka! That first pic, outside your sliding doors makes me want to go up and hug them all!

Frankly, I think some hosta look their best in pots. When they are elevated you can take in the whole shape more readily! I like my biggun's standing higher yet!!

I love what you've done!!! Thank you so much for sharing your passion in pix for us!

janice/Hey_J

• User
    10 years ago

It seems the hosta is the focus, very little awareness of there being a container anywhere. Which is ideal, IMHO.

Your use of the lifters which are adequate but unobtrusive is perfect, and makes good sense to me. Of course, your pots sit on wood decking and not out in the mulched garden like mine do. Part of my lifters sink into the mulch. And so I could use the 2x2 (actually 1.5 x 1.5 measurements) and when pots are clustered, they still manage to disappear. If it is a heavy pot, it tends to sink down more anyway.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Mocc, I've got my larger hosta all scrunched up to discourage Cleo from jumping over them (and knocking them over). I put little ones in the center. To get them up into a little light, I bought some 1/2 concrete blocks. They don't show with the larger hosta around them. I use all terra cotta colored pots, so if they showed, I could paint them terra cotta colored.

bk

• User
    10 years ago

I hear ya, BKay. Clustering is a good plan, like rounding up the wagon train!

There is one spot where I must leave a gap between pots, which is where the turtle comes under the wood fence. I like having him around. We had to block off most of the gap between the gate and the bricks of the courtyard, though, because Dolly the puppy was pushing her head through as far as possible, and caught her collar on something.

Folks are cutting down trees before hurricane season, and I've found lots of short lengths of the trunks intended for firewood, but not split up. Those make great pot stands too, look very natural.

I'm still seeing that slogan DON'T BLOCK THE EXITS as a great tee-shirt.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

how did i miss this post..

stupendous ... each and all

ken

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

What's the big deal?
    They're just hosta ... in pots.
    Fab babe. Fab.
    *wonders he could switch to pots to make room for more*
    hmmm...

dave

• User
    10 years ago

Hey, Bragu, nice to have another cold country poster among us.
    Yeah, it seems there are more people potting em up these days. I think it makes more hosta space a possibility.

• User
    10 years ago

bUMPING THIS back to the top for those who missed it the first time.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Wow, wonderful arrangements and great line!

• Michelle z6a pei canada
    8 years ago

Hi I have recently become a hosta addict and love reading all of the information on this forum. I was reading through some old threads and stumbled on this but the pictures are not longer available. Was hoping that Babka might read this and post them again.

• User
    8 years ago

I hope she does too, Michelle. I spotted her gorgeous Snake Eyes among them, and wound up getting TWO, they look so good. Hers was gorgeous and easy to identify all the way over here in Alabama. :)

Thanks for bringing the thread forward. I still love the phrase DON'T BLOCK THE EXITS....it would make a great tee-shirt.

• hostatakeover swMO
    8 years ago

Oh my gosh, Babka, your array of Hostas is dazzling! Wow. Wow! WOW! My eyes are just drinking them in.

• Michelle z6a pei canada
    8 years ago

Wow maybe I should not have asked to see the pictures! I want everyone of them! LOL! Thanks so much.

Mocc: I got Snake Eyes last year as well and I just love it.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    8 years ago

Just as wonderful 2 years later! Please identify the hostas in photo #2, I must replicate it now that all of my hostas are in pots for at least one year. I could replicate the look with what I have but I would like to know specifically what they are - if you don't mind.

• hostas_for_barb
    8 years ago

Babka, what a collection of potted Hostas. Just beautiful!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

ID for photo #3 Diana Remembered, Brother Stefan, Olive Bailey Langdon, Dancing Queen, Mighty Mouse, Pineapple Upsidedown Cake, Fire and Ice, Great Escape and Great Expectations.

Some of these are no longer with me, probably due to pilot error, but I'm blaming a couple warmer than normal winters.

-Babka Edited because I labeled the WRONG photo!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    8 years ago

Thank you so much. I have them all except for OBL but I will have it soon! lol Btw - have you been watching episodes of Mayday? Love the 'reason' :)

I just looked at the photo and I don't think we are talking about the same photo because I do not see Dancing Queen. The one I am referring to looks to have El Nino on the far right behind maybe 'Autumn Frost'?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

YES! So sorry.

Here you go: Invincible, Queen of the Seas, June, Blue Ivory, El Nino, Autumn Frost, Halcyon, Remember Me, Grand Tiara and Sweet Home Chicago.

-Babka

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    8 years ago

Thanks! I have all of them except for Sweet Home Chicago.

Photo #4 - what are the two at the very back behind Snake Eyes?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pick #4

Far Back June and Ice Follies.

But while I am digging into the archives... Others are Mango Tango, Striptease, Snake Eyes, Touch of Class, Kiwi Full Monty, Twist of Lime and Salute.

-Babka

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    8 years ago

Don't have Mango Tango or Salute. I love your choices of companions, they really support each other very well.

• User
    8 years ago

I could not comment last night.

Babka, is GE still growing? If it is, I might have to try it at least kill ONE of them!

• User
    8 years ago

Those last named are doing fine here too, except Salute which the bugs seem to like. My blues are in a lot of shade, still turn green and look like highly polished wood furniture, melts the wax coating I guess?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mocc- I've had at least 3 GE's and all I have to show for it is 3 small leaves this year. But that is also true for several others that I've had for many years. We've had a couple warmer than normal winters in a row here and for lack of another reason I'm blaming my losses on that. OBTW, how have the hostas you planted in the ground along your driveway doing? Has it been 3 years? Yes, get a GE.

-Babka

• User
    8 years ago

Nothing ventured, as they say....

My driveway bed is not doing so well. I had moved my 2011 Blue Angel and Winter Snow out there, and my 2010 S&S, and the 2014 Empress Wu, plus DH's clump of .... the green one with white margins....that lost the white in containers, so I decided to try it planted. Now THAT one is doing fine, but the white margins are rather skimpy. Love Pat died on me, straight out. Wheaton Blue is doing okay but not big. Neither Patriot nor Minuteman returned this year. I ordered another Winter Snow for a pot, because the driveway bed almost killed the one that is there--it and Blue Angel are struggling. Perhaps it is in too dense shade, because the trees shade it, so do the palms and the bamboo. This summer may be my last chance to move S&S into more sun, afternoon sun, but other than not being really big (it dates from 2010), it looks healthy. It gets more sun than any other hosta in that bed. I also ordered another Empress Wu for a container, don't want to have a wimpy Wu when I know what she is capable of doing. As long as I can pay the water bill, I'm putting as many as I can in more sun and keeping them hydrated. In pots, of course. I discovered that lofting the mist above the hosta allows them to be cooled without leading to mold (of course cypress mulch grows some great fungi for me). I have a new maxim which involves not focusing on total shade--if you can alleviate the HEAT of the sunbut not the LIGHT. Watch out for the ones which sunburn, even water won't keep that from happening. But that is with hosta in pots, since sunlight is scarce along the driveway bed.....at least, the part where I planted the hostas.

Oh. I got an OBL this spring, because BKay loves it, and now I see that you do too. I know how selective you have to be. Also, the Striptease family are doing well here in containers, and I like Snake Eyes so much I got a second one while I could. Plus Cabaret is lovely, and so is Yellow Polka Dot Bikini, which is growing by leaps and bounds. Also, Erotica is super fast.

Guess I better stop, I'm straying from the topic. Sorry about that. My back is killing me, I must stretch out.