Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hostas bitten by frost in zone 5

Posted by paula.r none (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 21:53

Hi Hosta friends, I am new here and would like as much advice as possible. My hostas were bit pretty badly. I had a Komodo Dragon up about 18 inches and Aureo Marginata Montana , June and Lakeside Shoremaster. All were looking lush and bigger than ever, and I woke up to them lying on top of the mulch Sunday morning. I am totally devastated! They are all brown now. What can I do to get new growth asap? Thanks in advance for help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hostas bitten by frost in zone 5

You could try watering them with a compost tea for some extra nutrients. But I would really just keep them watered and protect them from further frost with upside down pots if the weather gets too cold again.

Once the leaves are completely dead, you can cut off the old ones.

o

hi paula ... welcome to GW ...

you said: I am totally devastated!

GET OVER IT ... lol .. not much help??

let me put it in perspective for you ...

i have around 1500 hosta.. all different..

i would guess ... that about 1000 of them are frost bitten this spring ...

so i ask .. what are you devastated about???

leave them be.. we dont 'feed' stressed plants ... give them about a month... at that time.. go remove a few of the worst affected leaves.. and you will be surprised how good they look ...

ken

ps: and pray the frosts arent followed by hail storms ...

o

Remove all the dead leaves. If a leaf is still, green even though it's distorted, leave it on the plant. As long as they are green they are producing food for the plant. They will grow back this year although the leaves will be smaller.

Now go out and buy yourself some beautiful new Hosta (or two) that you want and put it in a prime spot where you can enjoy it while waiting for the others to recover. Try Cathedral Windows or Dancing Queen (in full sun). You will really like those two.

Steve

o

I'm with Steve -- the solution is obviously more hostas.

Sorry Ken wasn't more supportive -- you might quip back to him that although he has 1000 frost bitten plants, the math says he has 500 that AREN'T!!!!!
Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here