Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tepelus

Question about the mouse ears clan

tepelus
9 years ago

I've noticed that every single one of my mouse ears hostas have their crowns above the soil surface. They are in a somewhat raised bed (only a few inches higher than the ground) and there are a couple of other hostas in there with them, but those don't have their crowns exposed. I thought maybe it was due to soil washing away, but the other two don't seem to have the issue of their crowns exposed. So is it a mouse thing to have their crowns pushed above the soil surface? Do they just like life that way and I should leave them alone, or should I add more soil around them? I have Irish moss growing around them and mulch to prevent the soil from washing away. The pic was taken in mid-July last year and by the end of the year the moss had nearly taken over the front part of the bed, and where it hadn't I added a bit more mulch.

Karen

Comments (8)

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

I have not noticed this with my mouse ears, but yours looks perfectly fine there. My advice is just leave it.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

It could be possible they had a bit of winter-heave as their root masses are so small. Your soil may be that nice loose stuff so heave is almost expected for a plant so small. Some heucheras do that too and I push them back down. I have a habit of planting my very smalls and minis slightly higher, whether in ground or pot. It promotes vigour and there is less chance of crown rot.

If they don't look abnormally high you can leave them.They look like they are very happy where they are. However, keep the moss and mulch in far proximity of their little crowns. Mulch for minis should not invade the canopy of the leaves, just mulch the perimeter around them.

That is a sweet and pretty bed you've created. I've divided my Blue Mouse Ears and hope to showcase it is some fashion as well this year. :-)

• User
    9 years ago

Karen, is that Snow Mouse and Pure Heart in front row?
    I lost Pure Heart over the winter to squirrels digging, but little Snow Mouse is growing nicely.

Very colorful bed. The heuchera looks huge compared to your meeses.

• w3csx
    9 years ago

I'll second the idea of frost heave. I just replanted two of mine today due to this issue. One of the two (Giantland Sunny') I fear may have been killed by it. It was just planted in September or October. So it was not hardly established. The crown was pretty dry and only three strong roots where keeping it attached to the ground. I'm still keeping up some hope. The roots that where not exposed where white and healthy. All my other mice are just starting to pop up now.

• tepelus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of one of the mice. The crown is above the soil with just a bit of root. I took this picture this evening. Is it too far above or should I add a bit more soil around it? Or plant it a bit deeper?

In the front row I have left to right: Royal Mouse Ears, Mighty Mouse, Frosted Mouse Ears. Second row: Blue Mouse Ears, Snow Mouse, Pure Heart, Holy Mouse Ears, Cat and Mouse, and Mouse Tracks. Third row: Blue Baron, Coconut Custard, Green Mouse Ears. The fern is a Japanese painted and the heucherella is Sweet Tea. The astilbe looking thing in the front right is a mini goatsbeard called Misty Lace.

Karen

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Don't worry about it. If your mice wanted their roots to be below they would put them there. Since you don't have frost heave on the others, it probably isn't that. Don't worry about it. I had a Striptease that put up high roots. I covered them and the plant died. Just make sure the crown is at surface level, then let the roots do their own thing. Don't worry about it.

-Babka

• tepelus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, I'll leave them alone. The other minis I have in the ground don't do this, only the mice, and they do this every year, and every year I replant them back in the ground. So now I'm figuring, if they keep doing this, maybe this is the position they like to be at. They are all alive with pips swelling, so I'll just let them do their thing. Thanks.

Karen

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I only have Blue Mouse Ears,but it is always standing up like it was on stilts,but it's always grown that way. Phil