Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Queen of the Seas - Before and After

paul_in_mn
11 years ago

Added in 2008 as a single eye that was more green than blue. Jumped a couple of eyes in 2011 and started to really show some nice leaves. It was going to outgrow its spot eventually - so I moved it last year while expanding one of the gardens. Now in a bit more light and another two eyes -

Queen of the Seas (A Mildred Seaver 2001 registration of unknown parentage)

If you don't have this one - get one.

Please add your QOTS pics.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: HL: Queen of the Seas

Comments (18)

• thisismelissa
    11 years ago

I got this one in 2010 also. Last year's growth wasn't a lot, but the leaves were lovely. This year, it's super full and outgrowing it's spot. I'd say it's 42 inches across already!

And the nice thing is that now that it's not so new in the trade, you can find it for $10-15 at everyday (not specialty) nurseries!

• sally_grower
    11 years ago

I bought QOTS from Naylor Creek in 2009. It did it's "jump" thing this year!

• tepelus
    11 years ago

I need to take an updated pic. I got mine in 2009, I think it was two eyes, one bigger one smaller, from a local grower. It is only three eyes now, but where it is growing there is a lot of root competition, so I'm not surprised it is growing slow. It is much more upright and tall than it has been. Must be it has finally settled in. I'm thinking all of the plants in that bed need a shot or several of fertilizer this year.

Karen

• User
    11 years ago

Awww, Sally, that jumped like CRAZY!! In a hurry to be a big ole hosta.

I just got mine around the first of May, so it has a way to go before it shows its real nature. But here she is. Newly planted when this was taken.

• Cindy Johnston
    11 years ago

My QOTS wants to be like yours when she grows up!
    Cj

• coll_123
    11 years ago

I got mine in 2007 from Hallsons- a one eye division with a huge root system. I moved it a few times to it's permanent spot.

pic from this morning, still leafing out

• dray67
    11 years ago

Ok that is now number one on my must have list. Is the below a good/safe source?

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of the Sea?

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice pics, thanks for adding. C'mon you lurkers, let's see your pics.

dray67 - Best to start a new discussion to get some answers to your inquiry - put the name of the seller right in the title...i.e. Has anyone ordered from "The Hosta Farm" in VA?

Paul

• Cher
    11 years ago

Ok Paul here is my Queen of the Seas. Bought last year at Hallson's.
    Cher

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Here is my QOTS from a couple years ago. For some reason,it doesn't look as good this year. Probably the weird spring weather. Phil

{{gwi:937924}}

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Paul. I am not lurking-or skulking! I hope to drop by my house with camera in hand tommorrow and maybe have some pics to show of this years hostas and weeds. My QOS was bought from Hallson last year like chohio. I am anxious to see how it looks.

Les

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

That one is definitely on my list. I found it at a neighborhood nursery early in the year. By the time I checked out the grower, they were all gone. Bummer.

Nice hostas.

bkay

• mary52zn8tx
    11 years ago

I will play. I wasn't sure I even had Queen of the Seas when I first got it at the end of the season in 2009. It hid out in 2010. I thought I had lost it.

In 2011 it finally began to look like it should.

Here it is with Sea Gulf Stream not too long ago. I didn't get an early spring picture this year. It has a couple of holes and a week of warm weather in May took most of the blue, but I like this hosta.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

After 3 days of rain.

Steve

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    11 years ago

Amazing transformations! I am looking forward to watching mine mature.

Connie May

• kskaren
    11 years ago

Here's mine--can you believe it has already bloomed and had the spent scape cut off???? I bought it from Avalon Acres in March of 2011.

Karen

• rmac78
    11 years ago

Here is my Queen of the Seas -Ryan

• User
    11 years ago

Oh double WOW, what beauties you all have. My girl seems to be strong, I guess she can deal with the heat okay despite losing some blueness in the process. Here she is today when I took her school picture. (EVERYBODY has a picture in the new album where this one of hers is.)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022