Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

Devon Green as nice as the picture?

This hosta looks wonderful, is the picture a true representation?
Devon Green

What about Candy Dish?

and Zebra Stripes? I haven't heard of this one before and it looks very interesting.

This post was edited by paula_b_gardener on Tue, May 27, 14 at 22:07

Comments (22)

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I don't have the others, but IMHO, Candy Dish does not live up to it's billing or " glamour shot".. The things that made me buy it. In my garden, Candy Dish is not all that shiny, and the substance is pretty average. Growth rate is pretty good, but mine is in a neglected pot right now. Here is my Candy Dish

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks good though, similar to Marilyn Monroe but different enough. The leaves do look shiny, maybe not as shiny as in the 'glamour shot' (great expression).
    What is the hosta in the front of the picture?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Is that Barbara Ann Paula is asking about?
    Here's my Candy Dish new last year. Looking pretty good this year but still unfurling. I hope it shines like a beacon!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Here it is today, unfurling. (Candy Dish)
    I saw an amazing specimen of Devon Green in 2011. Too bad I passed it up but am very happy to say it is on my want list now.

This post was edited by josephines67 on Tue, May 27, 14 at 22:43

• coll_123
    9 years ago

yes, that's Barbara Ann...do not recommend because of the
    drawstringing. Your Candy Dish looks good, Jo! maybe I need to move mine or maybe I got a bit of a dud there...but maybe it just needs more light to catch some light...hm. It's one of the few that survived the winter in an unprotected pot, so maybe I should show it some love.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Candy Dish has been strong grower for me, still unfurling this year (pic below is 3rd year/last year). Don't know if leaves are mature yet.

Devon Green is nice, but slow growing for me, albeit in quite a bit of shade.

Another in the shiny green line is Irish Luck which so far looks to be a very fast grower - 1 eye liner in 2011 and 16 eyes this spring. Much larger than Devon Green and Candy Dish.

Paul

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

If that's what a neglected Candy Dish looks like, it's moving up on my list.
    Kathy

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    9 years ago

Here's another shot of Candy Dish.
    I agree with Coll that the substance isn't great, but I like the sheen of the shine. It isn't high gloss, more of a subtle satin.Overall, I'm giving this one thumbs up so far.

I haven't got Devon Green, but Canadian Shield (reported to be very similar) was a very slow grower for me too, and didn't earn his board and lodge in the garden - if you catch my drift!
    BC
    PS Nice sweet treats displayed by my fellow posters!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I was asking about Barbara Ann - I have one but it is young.

Josephine your Candy Dish looks really good.

I also have Irish Luck and it is a good grower for me, too.

• User
    9 years ago

Don't have Devon Green, admire the sophistication of the plant though. Such a well put together hosta.

I have Irish Luck, which is doing fine this year. It is shiny, has medium substance but not thick. Taken 4/26/14

Candy Dish is doing better this year, although I think the slugs found it tasty as well as some of those pin holes Jo knows about. Also taken 4/26/14

PaulaB, I don't see it resembling Marilyn Monroe at all, except maybe some waves. Marilyn has white underwear and pink legs, but mine is only in its 3d year here. Here she is last June 2013, having a lot of sun to turn somewhat golden green.

Then here she is this year, still green. Note MM watches her figure more than Candy Dish does, she has a slimmer leaf.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is my Marilyn from last year and it looks similar to me, but like I said, it is different enough to beâ¦wellâ¦different.
    I think it is the rippled margins that make it similar but the leaf shape and colour isn't the same at all. I agree with you, Irish Luck has more the same sheen and texture.
    Paul and BC yours are lovely.

Marilyn Monroe
    {{gwi:1011392}}
    Irish Luck
    {{gwi:1011394}}

• coll_123
    9 years ago

"satin" is just the right term for Candy Dish's sheen...not high gloss like the glamour shot. I think they must have used a flash for that pic.

Years ago I was looking for a glossy solid green and considered Devon Green. I ended up buying Joseph instead, which is glossy, but hasn't grown beyond two eyes for me.

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

Yes, Devon Green is wonderful. Here is one from a couple days go.

And another one in a shadier location. It gets very dark.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ohhhh, mctavish they are fabulous. I am having a difficult time finding one.

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

Glenn has it at Hosta Choice for $12. It's such a sturdy reliable plant. I hope you get one.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

A dark green Halcyon. Gotta love it.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Paula, your Marilyn Monroe is huge!! Nice job there...All these hostas, list is too long...oh boy...

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mctavish; this will be my very first mail order hosta.

Don - thanks re: Marilyn Monroe. This year, although most of my plants have more eyes - they have grown to be smaller plants than last year? very strange. Of course, I am hoping that they haven't finished growing yet but so many don't look their normal size already.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hosta Choice isn't doing anymore orders this year :(

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

I love Devon Green. I saw it for sale on Hallson's website. $8, very tempting. I'd probably have to order a few more though.

Doing my best to enable,
    Beverly

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Devon Green is indeed very shiny and has good substance. I got it from Hallson's last year. And Irish Luck has the curls and shine you were looking for in Candy Dish; it's a larger plant, good rower, just a little less substance. Also at Hallson's :) Just place an order.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank Eleven, I would love to place an order but I am located in Canada. :(

I already have Irish Luck and it is a good grower, like you said and the curls are nice, too.