Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NOID help

Posted by garybr none (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 22:16

Hi, my name is Gary and I'm quickly becoming a hostaholic! All of you here have enabled me for a while, and I'm finally ready to admit that I have a problem.
I'm certain that you will be able to help me identify two of my NOIDs. The first one was one of the first Hostas that I acquired when I thought there were only two varietys out there. Thanks in advance for your help, and for fueling my addiction!
Two photos of each

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NOID help

The first one in Undulata Medio Picta.

Alexa

o

I think the second one is a very young Paradigm. 15 vein pairs. Leave are chartreuse in the Spring and should turn gold later with dark greenish/blue margins.

Steve

o

Alexa,

I have been struggling for years to sort out naming for 'undulata'. I studied the picture and decided it was undulata univittata due to 3-tones of color and approximately 1/3 white center. Appreciate your logic for suggesting medio picta.

Thanks

Tom.

o

I don't agree with Alexa. When I look at the pics in the Hosta Library, I think U Medio Picta has a much narrower white center than Gary's and lacks the chartreuse between the white and green. I think Gary's is the one known just as Undulata; I used to hear the term Undulata Variegata, but apparently that's incorrect.

I agree that the second is likely Paradigm. We all know the first one is easy to find at any store; since Paradigm became a hosta of the year, it, too, is easy to find so a probable candidate for this NOID. Nance

o

To correct my post above, it is most likely undulata univittata - it is most similar to that in the HL photos... sorry I was posting before coffee this morning. Of course, you can call it Fred if you want... it really is just a common undulata.

Alexa

o

"Of course, you can call it Fred if you want... it really is just a common undulata."

I'm going with Fred on this one.

Steve

o

Fred. I checked, and that name is available. Since hosta no longer have to be unique (we discussed lookalikes last week), Gary could probably register it. It's a pretty hosta, will grow well and doesn't have any major problems. He might even get a patent on it.

bkay

o

Thanks for all your help! Fred it will be from now on :). I knew I could count on you

o

Just for comparison - here are my Fred's in one of my side beds. The first pic is from a few weeks ago - the second two are from this morning. It is really a lovely hosta IMHO

Alexa

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I have loved Fred for years. The individual leaf color is amazing. Just because it is common, doesn't make it any less lovely. Gail

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here