Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ludiciousacres

Time for a Vacation - Hosta Style

Ludicious Acres
10 years ago

Dearest Hosta Family,

After months of waiting, the time has finally come !!! On Friday I will be leaving to begin my week long road trip. WOOT !!!

The major stops will include Wheeling, West Virginia to visit my Grandmother and Fort Wayne, Indiana to visit a dear friend. We have plans to hit up the Zoo which should be awesome !

Then itâÂÂs on to Michigan to visit the esteemed Chris and Brian from Hallson Gardens !!! This is the pinnacle of the trip and poor Chris is going to be exhausted after I am done asking my 5,000,000,000 questions. IâÂÂm most excited to see his production fields. If IâÂÂm not careful I might begin drooling which would leave a horrible first impression. :p

While in Michigan IâÂÂll also be touring the Hidden Lake Gardens which is home to the Benedict Hosta Collection. They call it Hosta Hillside and it boasts over 800 different hostas. I might lie down in the middle of them and never wake up. HEAVEN !!!

But wait, there's more . . . after I leave Michigan IâÂÂm off to Ohio to visit Van and Shirley Wade of Wade and Gatton Nurseries. IâÂÂll be hunting streakers for my hybridizing and ogling their hosta collection.

Once home I will have much to report so stay tuned for too many pictures. :)

See you all in a week or so !!!

::waves::

Ludi

Comments (12)

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

Have fun , be safe !

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Camera and 6 or 10 memory cards. Batteries. I want photos. Have a great time. I think you have passed addicted! Paula

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Have a blast. Don't forget about Mr. Cory's $10.00 hostas in Chillicothe, Ohio. You may be "exhosted" by then though. Not! WW

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Hope you are driving a LARGE vehicle with lots of empty space for this major 'shopping' trip! Have fun. Keep good notes. Report back!
    Jan

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

Ludi, could you wear Google glasses and record so we could ALL be along real time... hahhahahahah

• Gesila
    10 years ago

How exciting Ludi! I've traveled those roads many a time! You are going to love meeting Chris and Brian at Hallsons. I've never been to Hidden Lake Gardens, but plan on going this summer. Did you know that you'll only be about 10 miles from Ken at that point?

Wade & Gatton's nursery is a wonderful place to visit. I think they have 6 field houses of hostas for sale.

If you come south of out Bellville to take Route 70 back home instead of going north to 80, here's two places you should stop at:

The Velvet Ice Cream Company in Utica, Ohio, you can't miss it, there's a historic 1817 grist mill at the entrance.

Amity Farm in Alexandria, Ohio is about 20 minutes away from the Velvet Ice Cream company. They have limited hours, but I have called them ahead of time and they met me outside their regular business hours.

Bring your walking shoes and mosquito repellents. When I took a hosta shopping trip, I also brought along masking tape. Bundle up those hostas and you'll avoid damaging leaves and more will fit in your vehicle!

Oh, and yes, you could stop at Cory's on your way from Wheeling, WV to Fort Wayne, IN. Go south on US23 out of Columbus, Ohio. It's only about an hour S of Columbus.

Have fun. I can't wait to hear about your trip.

Gesila

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Oh yes, make sure you get a picture of Van's Sum & Substance. I think it's at least 9 feet across!

Gesila

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

one trick ...

is to take your hosta budget IN CASH ....

and then have someone else hold the checkbook and the credit cards ...

or better.. leave them home ... lol

otherwise.. you have to be a supreme being.. to not spend every penny you have ... and then a bunch you dont have.. lol ...

ken

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Sure hope the rest of your family is as excited about this trip as your 'hosta family' obviously is lol. Sadly you are describing my husband's worst nightmare!
    Jan

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Hopefully, Ludi's partner is more amenable than yours, Jan. My DH wants to go to West Texas to see the Palo Duro Canyon this summer. However, he offered to go east if there was some cemetery or courthouse I wanted to visit (I'm a genealogy nut.).

I hope you have a great time and the partner remains supportive.

bk

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

While at Hidden Lakes Garden don't forget to look up into the fir tree that stands above the hosta garden. The dwarf conifer Abies concolor 'Hosta La Vista' comes from the witch's broom in that tree.

{{gwi:660479}}

Close up of the broom.

{{gwi:660481}}

Have a safe trip.

tj

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if you are shopping for an invite.. hit my highlighted name.. and send me an email ...

ken