Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

A few looking good in the garden

paul_in_mn
11 years ago

Some are definitely waiting for a bit more heat...but here are a few that caught my eye-

Candy Dish - 2nd year, love those edges

High Society - moved to a bit more light last year, nice early colors

Hyuga Urajiro - seems to enjoy this spot, someone at an hosta event commented they've never seen a big clump - usually just 2-3 divisions

One Man's Treasure - a little red goes a long way

Pandora's Box - cute little mini

June - Just like Lays Potato Chips - bet you can't plant just one.

Nancy - Saw on tour in '10 and added last year - nice growth in 2nd year.

Northern Exposure - a beauty right now

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (12)

• Gesila
    11 years ago

Paul, your June is one of the prettiest ones I've ever seen!

I bought a Northern Exposure after seeing your seedlings but noticed today that it has already sent up scapes. Does yours flower early?

Gesila

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gesila, the nicest thing about that June is I admired it at a neighbors house, and they cut me off a really nice piece a few days later (2006). A couple of solid blue divisions came up this year - twist and yank.

I have pics of NE blooming...Mid June thru 1st week of July.

Paul

• User
    11 years ago

All beautiful, you should be very pleased. I have the Candy Dish, much darker leaves on mine. Are you keeping yours in more sun for it to be so light green?

• Gesila
    11 years ago

LOL Paul, good thing your neighbor isn't a member of this forum, they would have never offered you a piece!

Gesila

• Cher
    11 years ago

Beautiful photos. I also agree, I think that your Junes is the prettiest I've seen. My Pandora's Box didn't return this year. Oh well didn't need that mini anyway. :)
    Cher

• threedogsmom
    11 years ago

Ooh, I really like Nancy! Was she hard to find? Very nice pics!

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

All beautiful, but June quietly stole the show.
    Christine

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all for the comments.

Moccasinlanding, last year it was much greener. You have to remember that many are just starting to leaf out here. A week ago Candy Dish was just pips.

Gesila, my collection was so much smaller at that time. I plan to return the favor at some time, when I catch her admiring something in particular. The ones I get as gifts are special to me.

Cher, Pandora's Box really yo-yo'd when planted in the garden. It has grown well for me since I potted it up.

ravensfan, I ordered Nancy from Naylor - nice multi-eyed plant. I think leaves will broaden and lose some of that distinctive wave. Pics are all young ones in the HL (2005 registration).

June, Liberty and Paradigm are definitely favorites of mine. Added a June in full sun last year hoping to have a brighter centered one to go along with this one that gets a nice green later.

Paul

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Paul, there must be magic in that oak leaf mulch, your hostas all look so happy and healthy. And yes, June is simply spectacular. I may have to get another.
    Jan

• Lykaon - Ohio Zone 6a
    11 years ago

I must echo the sentiments about June. High Society is mighty fine too (it must be a cousin of June's).

My Hyuga Urajiro is a stubborn little thing. For its second year its come up with three tiny leaves only. It won't die but it won't do anything either. Yours is nice.

• User
    11 years ago

Jan, I was noticing the mulch too.....my leaves sure do not look that good!!

For a week's worth of growing, the Candy Dish sure looks great. It is one of my favorites, since I first saw its picture with the really frilly margins. I'm wondering if I need to expose mine to a wee bit more sun?

• jeanne
    11 years ago

These are all so beautiful...thanks for sharing them.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus