Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

The hosta this year with largest eye count compared to last year

I have a few hostas yet to emerge, but they are not going to beat this hosta in eye count number compared to last year:

Birchwood Parky's Gold (2012 - 2 eyes) (2012 - 14 eyes!)

Comments (23)

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Now that's what I call a leap year!

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Mine was Praying Hands - it jumped from 1 eye last year to 7 this year.

The power of prayer. :)

Gratz on your Birchwood Parky's Gold Newhostalady !!!

ItâÂÂs always rewarding to see more eyes the following year. Makes you feel like all the back aches and endless days spent watering were worth it in the end.

Ludi

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

well from the ones that are up, Believe it or not I am going to have to say Great Ex, one plant went from 4 to 12 eyes... I really baby them over the year , they get LOTs of aquarium water...More than any of the others...

I need to quit thinking about what ifs, and just remain calm, it is snowing for heavens sake !

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ludi, your hosta's eye count and mine were the same---times 7---from the previous year. Wonder if anyone can top that?

"ItâÂÂs always rewarding to see more eyes the following year."

Well I have to say that seeing more eyes the following year, makes me feel like an expert---even though I am far from that! It's a good feeling!

Leafwatcher that's a wonderful increase especially for Great Ex. Aquarium water you say? Well I won't be seeing the benefits from aquarium water here as I have just emptied my aquarium (and will be selling it) after having one for over 30 years. Now if I had known my Great Ex. would do an increase like that . . .

Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone else have an outstanding increase in eyes?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Blue Hawaii' 15 eyes last season; 46 this season.

Don B.

Original Author
    10 years ago

That deserves a "Wow!"

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Yup, that's what I said!

Don B.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

I don't keep track, but with the horrible conditions we had last year didn't expect things to leap. I was just happy so many hostas I thought might not make it are coming up. One of the GEs has 7 pips this year. I think it had two last year. Dress Blues got eaten to the ground twice, and it had 7 pips, too. Spilt Milk has really big eyes (more than thumb size) and more keep coming up.

Wow, Don. That's some jump. How can you keep track? Once it gets past 18 or so I start wondering if I've already counted this eye or not.

No idea how many Golden Edger has. I usually don't divide a hosta unless it sports/reverts, but maybe it's time for this one.

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

Some of you didn't have leap years, you had CATAPULT years !

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Aquarium/Pond water. That's the secret, eh Leafwatcher? shhhhhh......Stuff is gold...I've said too much...shhhh...

Don B.

Original Author
    10 years ago

It's hard to believe, but someone stole by Birchwood Parky's Gold hosta! My husband built two wall shelves along the side of our house for my hostas. It is there that I keep approximately 25 hosta pots. I had a couple on the ground and Birchwood Parky's Gold was one on the ground. Why and who would do such a thing? That area is not that visible from the sidewalk. The adjacent neighbors have a lawn service and at present they have hired help to do some house renovations. Could it be one of them? Will another disappear? The only thing I remember last was that BPG was about to bloom. Had it looked that good that it was worth stealing? I am hoping that this does not continue!

Goodbye Birchwood Parky's Gold.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

How terrible! I can't even imagine who goes out and steals hosta. I mean, I joked about filling my trunk with some of Ludi's stunners, but now it doesn't seem so amusing...

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

So sorry for you, how invasive! That is so upsetting and I cannot imagine a hosta lover being a hosta thief as we all know how we nurture our babies. What a puzzle.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Awful, awful! Its just disgusts me that someone would do that. I'm very sorry and hope that you have no further losses.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Your BPG was a beauty, so I researched it at the Fransen Hosta website. Apparantly, it's a fast grower if it's any consolation. I would hide any of your slow growers if you can until the renovation people are gone though. I really feel for you, it's always hard to lose something that you've nurtured no matter how long.

• User
    10 years ago

Our neighborhood plant thief retired....or is staying on her medication at least. Oh, she was so blatant about it, so extensive with her thieving, she was taken to court. It is hard to identify a plant in a lineup, believe me. So I began spray painting the stems of my vulnerable plants with fuschia florescent paint. They even took my Japanese maple (in the ground) and sand dollar stepping stones. Never found them.

Perhaps it was the pot that attracted them? Or "picking up" a birthday present they forgot to buy?

Esther in NYC uses chains through the bottom holes of her decorative containers.

Of course, you could with nursery pots put a big headed nail in the bottom of the pot, then add the hosta. It would not be coming off the shelf without a struggle!

Let's hope they are done with thieving, and the job next door is soon over.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you every one of you for your kind support. I knew that fellow hostaholics would be the ones who would fully understand how I feel. I just had to share with you.

That was a terrible situation you had to endure moccasinlanding. I hope your neighborhood plant thief stays on her medication too.

I felt that I could start a new thread ("My hosta was stolen!"), but then I thought against it---we want to stay on the positive in life not the negative, right? So towards the positive, this is what my dear husband built for me last year for my spring birthday. Needed more room for hostas and that side of the house had more sun. It was also here that my Birchwood Parky's Gold was---near the ground, on top of the window well cover.

Irawon, I will still take away any hostas that are special to me. I did take away Goodness Gracious. I need to take away High Society too and maybe more.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Newhostalady, that's a great set-up and beautiful plants. Looks like the area is fenced in too. My guess would be, it was one of those reno guys who had a view from the house. Hope you reported the theft to the police, just for the record.

Moc, must be tough having that lady still in your neighbourhood.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks irawon. Unfortunately though, it is not fenced in. The photo shows the view upon entering my backyard (which is fenced). This is not our main walkway. We generally use the other side of the house. This side is used for storage, but since it faces south, it is brighter, but not too bright due to mature trees. But I wish it were a locked in area! I hate to make it "easy" for those who wish to take advantage of others.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Your situation really bothers me. Your own private space invaded like that. I just don't understand why a thief would steal a hosta? To appreciate a hosta, you have to like plants and people who like plants just aren't the type to steal hostas! Obviously, there are a few out there :(

Well, like you said, chin up and forward. You have a great attitude.

Paula

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your loss due to theft, NHL. I swear, the more people I meet, the more I like animals. I hope this a-hole does not continue this stealing of your property.

(On a happier note)...That setup for the pots you have is really, really cool! Your DH is a very good enabler, it seems : )

Best Regards,
    Don B.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Paula, I agree that people who like plants just aren't the type to steal hostas. The worst thing about thieves is that you don't know why they took what they took and you don't know if they will come back or when. I suspect that this thief doesn't really know about hostas. I think they could have made a better choice considering all the possibilities! But my larger pots are kept in my backyard. I hope to post pictures when I have them in order.

Don you made me laugh when you said "I swear, the more people I meet, the more I like animals." And I am not laughing at you. I am laughing with you! And I understand what you mean!

This post was edited by newhostalady on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 23:56