Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavendargrrl

I think I found Marilyn Monroe today :)

lavendargrrl
9 years ago

It's not nearly as exciting looking as I envisioned it either, lol. Mine doesn't have good ruffles. It does, however, have the red petioles and the white backs.

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

ruffles increase with maturity ...

as far as i am concerned.. for as young as that plant is... i would call it ruffled ...

i dont know about the MM part though

ken

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, the point is that this plant is NOT young. It has been in the ground in that spot for probably 7 years now. It is stunted, I suppose. Other than 9 hostas purchased recently at Plant Delights, every hosta in my yard has been in the ground for a minimum of 6 years. After the description of MM, and my recollection of where it was in my hosta bed, I do think this is it. It is just a sad looking plant.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I was going to say to give it time, as it is still young, to develop more ruffles..then I read your response to Ken's comments. I have one emerging for the second year now, lots of pips.

May I suggest moving her to a new location? All your other hosta pics show hostas that are growing better than MM (from what I remember). This is not a difficult grower. She should be a beauty in size by now. What do you think?

Jo

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jo, thanks for the suggestion. I totally agree that she needs to be moved. There are others that are clearly in need a a relocation too, like Cathedral Windows, which is just pitiful looking compared to the big plant I bought from Plant Delights 6 years ago.

At least with MM, it was a tiny little liner plant when I got it, so it's not like she's gone backwards ðÂÂÂ.

Once I get the balance of the big bed weeded and mulched, I'm going to need to start moving some plants around. My Beckoning is at the front edge of the bed and way too big for that spot. I'm thinking about potting it up and putting it on top of a vintage sewing machine base I just placed in the back of my newer bed.

9 years ago

Wow, from a tiny liner you say? Not so bad then, but relocating won't hurt either. I like your idea re Beckoning...and I thought you'd like a peek at my MM. :-) last spring..still only pips yet this year

9 years ago

She is a very late bloomer..this pic is from last September 25th or so...I had her in sun till around 1:30(eastern exposure)...so her leaves are not as green but with a gold tint - a real subtle looker! Here is a close-up of a flower scape then another during transplant into pot. The last picture shows how wonky (new scientific terminology) and horizontal the flower scapes grow.

9 years ago

I got a wee bit too enthusiastic, sorry!

Jo

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo, thanks for sharing these pics of your MM! Maybe there is hope for mine to grow up to a pretty hosta if I pamper her a little bit, lol. I got some plants from (I think) an eBay seller that were very, very small. MM was one of those.