Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brucebanyaihsta

Memories of Mother's Day and my mother Pauline

brucebanyaihsta
14 years ago

We had a beautiful weekend here gardening, after ~4 " spring rains, everything looks like the Pacific NW! Lush green!

Mother's Day should cause us to reflect on our mothers. I had a lot of emotion thinking back on my Mother, Pauline Banyai and her enthusiasm in the Spring, not only for plants emerging but friendships re-emerging as we went out to visit with people and saw their gardens.

My wife Lois and I were outside this weekend as much as possible, visiting rare plant nurseries and gardening friends. At one house with a very nice garden, they had a great big "Whirlwind" looking quite stunning. Although Mom had a great run with her hosta introductions, it may not be well known that she was with John Kulpa when they found the plant which was to become hosta "Whirlwind" at a plant nursery!

Whirlwind of course looked somewhat like her "Something Different" sport of Gold Standard but was still unique to her eye.

In the Detroit area, it would only be a week or so after Mother's Day and then we would hit the ground with "Flower Day at Eastern Market: I wish we had videos of those halcyon hosta market days!

The last couple of years we sold there, before she died, her real goal was to promote the Michigan and American Hosta Societies. Our sales stall against the end wall allowed us to post signs - which drew people to talk about the plant societies as well as our plants.

This year's 2009 AHS convention in Lansing area would be a highlight for our family if she was still alive - but it looks like I may not be able to make it due to job commitments.

Keep family heirloom hosta going - pass them on to the next generation!

Right now, it's 10:36 PM here, 45 degrees wet and cool, but comfortable in my basement gardening garage - dividing a few Nigrescens seedling clumps from my mother, from the late 1980's - she was working on red stems and some are still coming out!

Bruce Banyai

Comments (8)

• lindac
    14 years ago

Aah! Bruce....funny you should post this tonight. I was pottering around in the garden this evening, pulling a few weeds, removing some spent last year's scapes, and Whirlwind was finally poking through the leaf covering. I had wondered where it was, but today it showed up.
    it's a lovely plant.....thanks to your mom!
    Linda C

• mctavish6
    14 years ago

Bruce,

I've often though that Permanent Wave isn't talked about enough. It is one of my favourite plants. Here are a couple pictures - tribute to your mom. Myrle

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Whirlwind is a perennial favorite in my garden and I eagerly anticipate its return every year. I will forever more think of you and your mom when I walk past it and love it not just because it is a wonderful garden worthy plant but because of the personal connection. Thanks for sharing your stories!

Alexa

• hosta_freak
    14 years ago

Bruce,I have a couple of Whirlwinds in my garden,and they are just now starting to show their potential. I got them at K-Mart,yes K-Mart,a couple of years ago. They weren't even labeled at the time,but I recognized them immediately. I enjoy the touch of color they add to my garden! Thanks to your Mom! My mother passed back in 1996,but we lived in Fla.,and I had never even heard of hostas then! Phil

• lisasmall
    14 years ago

Oh hey, Bruce, I didn't know any of that about your mom.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

• brucebanyaihsta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, Permanent Wave is indeed unique in its leaf display, and bloom. It becomes quite showy and large with age.

It was a seedling that Mom gave away to a close friend, Jim Langhammer of Royal Oak (thanks Jim for all the garden memories!) who several years later brought it back to her and said it was worthy of registration and a neat name, even though it was all green. She was not a fan of all green hosta unless they had uniqueness.

After receiving the plant back into her garden, she wracked her brain (and mine!)for a suitable name. Mom was getting her Saturday hair fixed and as she sat under the hair dryer at the hair salon, her eyes fell on a poster for selling some "Permanent Wave", and thus the name was found.

John Kulpa of course is a fantastic hosta hybridizer in his own right - but Whirlwind was a chance find in the trade. There has been a writeup on it and its progeny recently in the AHS Hosta Journal. Thanks, John for the great plants!

Bruce

• Eleanor B
    14 years ago

What a nice tribute to your mother, Bruce. Whirlwind is one of my personal favorites. I've divided my original multiple times and have 5-6 near the front and middle of a bed bordered by a row of pine trees. They always look so stunning and healthy and don't seem to be bothered by pests. Love Whirlwind!

• hostahaveum
    14 years ago

Thank -you so much for sharing w/ us the story of H.Whirlwind & your mom Pauline , Bruce. It is wonderful you were able to share those hosta history making times with her. What beautiful memories you must have. ~Dot