Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify Disease Free Nurseries

Posted by Obar 5b (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 22:50

How can I tell if a nursery tests for diseases and is guarenteed disease free?

While I've been gardening for a couple years, I've only recenlty discovered the huge varieties of hostas available! And HVX. I'm starting a shade bed that will be mostly hostas. The handful I bought from big box stores luckily stayed in their pot and were easily returned. Now I need to find some reliable sources.

Other posts indicate Hallson. So much is already out of stock. How about Land of the Giants Hosta Farm? At the bottom of their home page is a link to their health certificate... but I don't understand what it means. Land of the Giants is HUGE. And they're in my state! I can drive there!

Thanks for any insight!
Nikki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify Disease Free Nurseries

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Wed, May 30, 12 at 23:08

Here you go. Click on the Link below.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to buy Hostas

o

I just talked to Chris at Hallson's about ordering. He is getting ready to redo availability and add a lot back in. If there are some you are interested in, email him and he can tell you if he has any nice ones.

o

I think Hallson's like a lot of us, and many other nurseries, suffered a lot from frost damage this Spring. Take a look at this pic of Spartacus.

Spartacus yr1

You can see a little frost damage in a leaf on the left hand side. There were a few more leaves that were removed. But it's still a beautiful plant for one that arrived a few weeks ago. Chris, without my asking, reduced the price of this plant (and one other) to half! Most other places would have charged full price for a plant that looks that good. That's the kind of integrity you are dealing with in Hallson's.

Email him. He's not going to sell you anything you won't be satisfied with.

Steve

o

• Posted by Obar none (My Page) on
    Thu, May 31, 12 at 7:56

Thanks! I did read the posts from the link... and there was a link in that one too. I think I will try Hallson's. And thanks for posting a pic. There are so many hostas to choose from it is hard to go through them all an narrow down. Seeing what other people like really helps.

Am I buying kind of late in the season?

o

We have been to Land of the Giants. Awesome nursery with huge hostas!

Jeff has many one of a kind hosta seedlings in his gardens.

Jeff has been a speaker at many hosta events, such as Hosta Collage, Winter Scientific Meeting and has spoken at many hosta clubs.

If it was in our state, we would be visiting often!

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Thu, May 31, 12 at 8:06

Late is the season is when you see hosta clearance or super sales in July and August =) You have plenty of time!

o

Kind of late in the season is when the ground is too frozen to dig the hole.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here