Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun Power Sport

Posted by paul_in_mn 4b (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 22:58

Here's a sport I separated and moved to sun in 2008. The move fried the leaves, but the new eyes that emerged started to stabilize to this version fairly quickly (by 2009). Moved it again last summer to give it some room. Very subtle melon colored shades - it does darken a little in center and a bit more yellow on edges by late August, but nowhere as dark as Abba Dabba Do. On the right hand leaves the margin looks to be streaking some to the center.

Here's a pic of new growth after leaves fried in 2008.

Thanks for taking a look.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun Power Sport

I never realized that Sun Power has so many sports or siblings. Looks like I might have some collecting to do!

I really, really like your sport!

Gesila

o

Another new one of yours I am flipped over. I really love these lighter shades of color. Fantastic!
Cher

o

Really pretty, subtle variegation. I think "melon" describes the colors perfectly. I also love the form. Is this as fast a grower as Sun Power?

o

Beautiful sport Paul, you're soooo lucky. I have had a Sun Power since 1995 and though I do get seedlings every year, it has never decided to give me a beautiful sport.
Thats a keeper!

o

Very nice!

o

Very nice,Paul! It has that familiar shape that all Sun Power sports have, Sorta like a subdued Abba Dabba Do. I like all the sports of Sun Power,especially Paradise Power. Phil

o

I love your Sun Power sport. Mine was not separated from one of my Sun Powers but found at a nursery listed as Sun Power but obviously sporting. It's stayed stable in it's instability. It has solid leaves, half and half and ones with margins, wide and narrow. The color, like yours, is lighter than Abba Dabba Do. Have you given it a name?

o

McT - two names I've been working with are - Abba Dabba Honeymoon and a suggestion from Chris at Hallson - Dabba Honey Dew.

Paul

o

LOL I just planted Sun Power about 10 minutes ago. just a baby, but I have high hopes.

Photobucket

o

Update - edges are coloring up.
"Hosta (Abba Dabba Honeymoon) Sport of 'Sun Power'

Paul

o

Paul, the Dabba Honey Dew is a nod to the melon color. Another option would be a reinforcement of its relationship to its parent, Dabba Honey Do.....the old expression for husbands who have a "honey do" list.

I like Chris's idea for a name. But Dabba Honeymoon is good too. Save it....you might end up with another sport equally as lovely.

I too love the softer shades of pale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here