Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

Are You A Lover Or A Hater?

hostanista
9 years ago

WHITE FEATHER: It seems that people either love it or hate it. It is unusual, I'll give you that. But I love it right now. In a month it'll be blah, just green, nothing to write home about. But this bright spot in the garden really catches your eye. What side of the fence are you on with this one?

Comments (12)

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

Sorry not too fond of this, looks like it was sprayed with roundup.

Denis

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Well, uh, I don't prefer it, ah....I hate it, I guess. Really don't like the white leaves, at all, I know it'll turn green. Whoopie. Big 'blah' for me. Hate's a strong word, BUT making a choice, I'll go to the 'hate' category.

Props to you on getting it to grow well, though, good job.

Nothing personal, Hostanista.

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

I love this forum. I hate politicians. I like my white feather. It is fun to see how it changes throughout the season ...

dkB

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Good way of putting it in perspective, Dave. And I agree with your first two examples wholeheartedly. : )

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

What's not to love about a hosta that can transform itself? Similar to those of us gals who change our hair colour on a whim. I love White Feather but don't own one. I do have London Fog which emerges a creamy white then goes a foggy, misty light green. Kind of cool - a metamorphosis if you will.

Lover! For sure, Hostanista!

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I don't hate them,but I know that plants with too much white,will either turn green later on,or die. I have an American Halo,that puts out all white leaves every year. Fortunately,it also has'normal' leaves,so it survives,but the all white leaves die off. Phil

• ninamarie
    9 years ago

I don't sell it. I wouldn't sell it. I have never sold it. And yet, at our nursery, it is the hosta that we field most complaints about. It dies. And it's expensive. There are so many good hostas out there, why bother with a piece of crap.

• eclecticcottage
    9 years ago

I got one at a plant swap last year. I love it. It adds a bit of brightness where it is, something different for the spring before the blooms really get going in the gardens. I've potted it because I was told it's slug bait when I snagged it up. It was happy to live in the pot and came back this year just fine. It was actually on my want list and I was excited to find it at the swap and ti was the first thing I went for.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

To each their own. Not a hosta I care for. Wouldn't buy it for my garden. But yours looks pretty good.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well there you go - from "love" to "piece of crap". HAHA! That's funny! It does illicit reaction, good or bad. By the way I've had this guy since 2009, moved it a time or two, and I even dug it up and brought it with me when I moved to my current property 2 years ago (in January, so had to pot it up the autumn before) and he's still kicking. Tougher than its reputation I guess!

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

It would live on the driveway, if it is as difficult as rumored.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

This is a perfect example of "beating the odds", Hostanista. I very seldom, if ever get swayed against trying a "difficult" hosta. I feel It is the exchange of experience and success on this forum that encourages us to try something new. You may just have done that for someone reading this thread. :-)

Your White Feather is "intriguing" - I love it and my daughter has one! If it gives her trouble it will come to Mom to "babysit", as has been done before.