Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostales

Added Two too

hostaLes
11 years ago

I managed to hitchhike a ride in a wheelchair at my local greenhouse and couldn't resist picking these up. Not exotic, but nice!

Summer Breeze

Abiqua Drinking Gourd

Les

Comments (11)

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

that first one is bright !

I just Love A. drinking gourd. My first blue, my first favorite blue. Such a classy plant.

the small one I bought cheap is even looking bigger this year, and tucked up to the shrubs its been nicely colored, and a few leaves better than I had hoped for. No monster YET, but its a keeper !

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is actually my second Summer Breeze. I lost the first one, I think due to my carelessness. I left it potted overwinter with the pot upright. But I bought the first one for the same reason I couln't pass this one up-its brilliance! If anyone has a mature Summer Breeze I would love to see your pics of it.

A. Drinking Gourd I have always admired for its blue color and leaf substance, so, since I didn't have one I couldn't pass this one up either.

They both looked like nice plants to me with at 4 good strong eyes.

Les

• Gesila
    11 years ago

Nice Les. Looks like your Summer Breeze is sporting a solid yellow eye.

I can never remember the name of my "Summer" hostas. I think I have Summer Lovin and Summer Music.

Here's my ADG this year. It looked very similar to yours when I bought it 3 years ago. It's still unfurling:

Nice to see you posting pictures this year!

Gesila

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gesila: I hope my A Drinking Gourd looks as nice as yours two springs from now. I'd bet next spring yours is going to be breakout breathtaking.

I didn't pick out the Summer Breze for the yellow leaves, but for the strength of eyes and folliage. The two solid yellow leaves though could create excitement in the future. I have never tried to divide out a sporting eye from my hostas. But it seems like fun.

Every Summer Breeze I have seen have immediately drawn my attention because they are so brilliant.

Les

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Hi Les - glad to see you are gettin back into 'the swing of things' with a shopping outing. Those great new plants should be good spirit lifters, and way more fun than, for example, new shoes!
    Jan

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'd posted my photo of the Summer Breeze with solid yellow leaves in Steve's "Made in the Shade TCs" post, and Ed of Bentley Gardens was kind enough to give me this explanation. I felt it better that I respond here so as to not stray from Steve's line.

If I understand it properly, when tc'ing, sprigs from different test-tubes sometimes are paired for planting.This creates what appears to be a larger appearing hosta for sale. (Akin to how we plant 2-3 hostas in one hole in our garden to get greater size faster) In this case, one of the sprigs was a "cull". So the yellow part, the cull which has at least 6 solid yellow leaves, should be seperated from the variegated SB and could be (based on its own merits) potted, planted, or thrown on Ken's driveway at night. It is a rather brilliant yellow, so I plan to not throw it on Ken's driveway. My problem then is what to call it. Since it is atypical for a Summer Breeze it should not be called that. What are you peep's thoughts about this?

If you are following this thread, Ed - thanks again.

Les

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

Thanks a lot Les! Now I want Summer Breeze!

I thought I had gotten every hosta I could want this year, but nooo.....

:-)

Deanna

• hostamo
    11 years ago

Here's a my 3 year old Summer Breeze. Grows well for me, gets some late afternoon sun

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

I first had Summer Breeze years ago. When I didn't know how to grow them in pots here in California, I lost lots of plants. It was one. Then I bought Stitch in Time(a Summer Breeze sport) which reminded me what a sweet plant Summer Breeze was, and how much I missed her. So I bought another.

-Babka

• User
    11 years ago

Gardenfanatic says: "I thought I had gotten every hosta I could want this year, but nooo.....

Yeah, I know the feeling. Just when you think it's safe to go back in the water....somebody puts shark bait in the pool!

I have Summer Fragrance, thought for a bit I also had Summer Breeze. It is a real looker, Les. I thought I was done ordering, but sent out three/no four/new orders today, had to get al LEAST the minimums, don'tchaknow. And I saw Summer Breeze in two catalogs, but did not order. Mistake?
    Could be. But maybe this fall.

Les, thanks for asking those questions of Ed, because I had no idea what a "cull" was. Pretty nice cull you have. I'm sure you'll come up with a good name for it.

• chris-e
    11 years ago

I love Summer Breeze. I swear it glows in moonlight!

chris